Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Jerkbaits and lost fish?

Message Subject: Jerkbaits and lost fish?
NPike
Posted 5/21/2016 5:20 AM (#817770)
Subject: Jerkbaits and lost fish?

Sometimes I’m have trouble keeping the toothy critters on with jerkbaits (1.5 to 3.5) oz. Ya some of them let go too quickly to react. But sometimes even after a good hook set and having the fish on for a bit it mysteriously gets off. Strangely when a 5 or more pound bass or walleye bites I rarely lose it. The problem is not lack of sharp hooks.
Thanks
Zinox
Posted 5/21/2016 5:27 AM (#817771 - in reply to #817770)
Subject: Re: Jerkbaits and lost fish?

What rod/ reel combo are you using ?
I like a really strong tackle to keep the fight as short as possible.
IAJustin
Posted 5/21/2016 8:43 AM (#817773 - in reply to #817771)

if you are loosing a few fish from the hookset to say the first five seconds ... well that's muskie fishing. Be methodical about keeping your hooks sharp, I know you say they are.. just a reminder.. catch a fish, bump a rock... check your hooks, they probably could be touched up - there is sharp and then there is "surgical"..Could try switching "gap" on your hooks, sometimes going a size larger really helps (not sure what baits you are referring to) try out some Gamakatsu hooks... When you do everything in your "control" to be prepared..and they still get off, like I said..everyone loses their share especially in the first few seconds.. and ya when a bass hits a muskie bait they never get off
pklingen
Posted 5/21/2016 8:48 AM (#817775 - in reply to #817770)

sometimes crap just happens and they get off, everyone's had it happen. if they on a good feed or just nipping at it makes a world of difference imo. i rarely if ever lose a fish that has t-boned the bait with that big front hook implanted firmly in its mouth, but if they just nip at it and just get the rear or middle treble alone then its a whole different ball game. there is lots of leverage there when they shake their head to dislodge that single hook.
ToddM
Posted 5/21/2016 8:54 AM (#817776 - in reply to #817770)

The nature of the beast. Jerkbait are more erratic and muskies do not always get that perfect grab like they would a bucktail. Add to that they are grabbing the body of the bait vs pretty much just a hook. You need more than just a sharp hook to up your odds. You need one that penetrates very easy. I really like alot of the black nickel hooks on the market. I do not like 4x hooks on body baits. Something not as thick but not so thin as it would straighten. The black nickel hooks really seem to get good hookups on these types of baits where a perfect grab and a perfect Hooksett may not be possible.
NPike
Posted 5/21/2016 10:50 AM (#817786 - in reply to #817770)

Thank you for all the wonderful feedback! I'm smarting a bit from a 25 pound+ Tiger that let go at that boat. I would have released it anyways. But a measurement and picture would have been nice. In Lake Conesus this is near the top end. In general they let go in the 1st (3 to 8) seconds, so thank you IAJustin. Baits I use anywhere from 5.5" to 9": some wood some plastic: Salt Water X-Rap, Shine and Glide, Treble-D, etc. I've often thought they got the bait in their mouths grapping the body without really getting the hooks in a position that allows for a solidly hooked fish. Also Todd, pklingen and others you's seem to have gotten the nail on the head. My partner fishes with blades I defiantly get more hits. We both catch fish.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)