Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Morning bite

Message Subject: Morning bite
tkuntz
Posted 5/6/2016 9:39 AM (#816353)
Subject: Morning bite

When have you guys experienced a good morning bite? I had a great late AM bite yesterday, which was a bit of a surprise as the water hadn't warmed up yet. I'm not going to complain, caught two fish and saw a handful more, but it caught me by surprise this early in the year.
Come to think of it I've caught most of my muskies at dusk or from 10AM-Noon.
jheminva
Posted 5/6/2016 10:05 AM (#816355 - in reply to #816353)
Subject: RE: Morning bite

Last year opening day in northern WI, 6:15 AM landed the first fish. I was definitley not expecting that. The morning bite was great all season for me.
MuskyMatt71
Posted 5/6/2016 10:33 AM (#816358 - in reply to #816353)
Subject: Re: Morning bite

Late summer/early fall, when they're up into the shallow sand and reeds. It seems like the big girls only acknowledge a bait around dawn or just before.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 5/6/2016 11:23 AM (#816359 - in reply to #816353)

Morning is always a great time here in northern mn, even on opener. The sun definitely kicks things up a notch later in the AM, but I never miss the crack of dawn window.
jlong
Posted 5/6/2016 11:26 AM (#816360 - in reply to #816358)

I love the A.M.  I actually prefer it over the evening.

Cool nights will relocate fish to fairly predictable locations.  Get a bait to them before they move again... and you can have some great action.

This occurs all season long too. 

MOJOcandy101
Posted 5/6/2016 1:09 PM (#816366 - in reply to #816353)

Both Northern WI opener and MN opener last year we had a fish in the net early in the AM.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 5/7/2016 8:00 AM (#816422 - in reply to #816366)

Mornings are awesome, sunrise-> dark to first light is a transition period identical to sunset. I love it because I usually have the lake to myself, and those fish have not been disturbed by other boats. Its Ok boys, just sleep in please......

One of my favorite morning shots w/smoke on the water.

Have fun!

Al

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Muskie Fishing-1.jpg)

(Sunrise at Cliff Lake-Tyler's Bay.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Muskie Fishing-1.jpg (188KB - 352 downloads)
Attachments Sunrise at Cliff Lake-Tyler's Bay.jpg (193KB - 372 downloads)
Sidejack
Posted 5/7/2016 8:42 AM (#816424 - in reply to #816422)

It was late November, the month of mist.
We were caught in the open, the sun was beginning to rise behind us.
Twice she came in on us, and twice she missed the heart of us.
That's when we had an epiphany.
You see, they have great vision during the day, but in the failing light, they can't focus.
Magic hour..

Edited by Sidejack 5/7/2016 8:43 AM

(Magic.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Magic.JPG (62KB - 334 downloads)
Matt DeVos
Posted 5/7/2016 9:11 AM (#816425 - in reply to #816353)

Agree with jlong. I generally prefer dawn over dusk. First light and the subsequent hour or so is usually good, regardless of time of year. The remainder of the morning hours can be hit or miss, usually depending upon weather conditions...although the same can be said for basically any given time of day.
Storm Strike
Posted 5/7/2016 10:34 AM (#816429 - in reply to #816425)

So all you early pre-dawn guys--my question---

By the way I love early mornings as well----but after fishing until---12:30am give or take----having something to eat--a drink---brush teeth---don't get to sleep until 1:30am...give or take----how does one then get up at 5/6am....without ruining the rest of the day by being tired?

I have always restled with this.....getting up early and then coming it at 9 0r 10 am...and having to take a nap until noon or later----this has often prevented me from the night shift/early morning shift...

Do you early morning guys not fish late? Or do you just take a nap when you come in?

Edited by Storm Strike 5/7/2016 10:34 AM
RandalB
Posted 5/7/2016 11:26 AM (#816433 - in reply to #816429)

I normally take a break during the day when all the recreational boaters are out and get back in the boat later in the afternoon. Fish until full dark (Unless the bite is making me stay out later..) and get up for on the lake at first light.
ToddM
Posted 5/7/2016 11:31 AM (#816434 - in reply to #816353)

First light can be great on pressured/busy lakes. Best way to fish local waters then be off by late morning. On lakes that are not get off the water in the heat of the day. Don't wear yourself out before the last hour of the day.
WiscoEsox94
Posted 5/7/2016 1:57 PM (#816442 - in reply to #816353)

Key in on strong moon phases for early morning bites too. If you have a moonset/rise and sunrise within an hour of one another it seems to enhance that bite in my experience. As far as getting up so early and not tiring out... what i have done that has worked well, fish your good spots for the early bite. Then once the window is closed or youre sick of it spend some time graphing around with the side imaging either on that lake or explore new lakes with side imaging with no intention of actually fishing it unless you find a bunch of bait balled up with some big marks near it. Then based on your solunar windows and weather fronts time your fishing for the afternoon or evening.
boodlight
Posted 5/7/2016 11:35 PM (#816475 - in reply to #816429)

Storm Strike - 5/7/2016 10:34 AM

By the way I love early mornings as well----but after fishing until---12:30am give or take----having something to eat--a drink---brush teeth---don't get to sleep until 1:30am...give or take----how does one then get up at 5/6am....without ruining the rest of the day by being tired?

I have always restled with this.....getting up early and then coming it at 9 0r 10 am...and having to take a nap until noon or later----this has often prevented me from the night shift/early morning shift...
Do you early morning guys not fish late? Or do you just take a nap when you come in?

My core group of fishing buddies and I just tend to burn it. grab 3-4 hours of sleep a night and only come in for naps if its high skies during the lunch hour. I don't know how many years we can keep that style up for...
Jeremy
Posted 5/8/2016 11:10 AM (#816503 - in reply to #816475)

Get to bed fairly early. It's more fun fishing when you can actually see what's goin' on anyway!

Just my $0.02 but it's better for this old boy. I have much more fun and that's really what this game is about. The fish are a bonus...
Sidejack
Posted 5/8/2016 12:57 PM (#816511 - in reply to #816503)

Jeremy - 5/8/2016 11:10 AM
Get to bed fairly early. It's more fun fishing when you can actually see what's goin' on anyway!
Just my $0.02 but it's better for this old boy. I have much more fun and that's really what this game is about. The fish are a bonus...

Careful.. that kinda attitude'll git you thrown out of Ben O's boat.
Oh, wrong thread..
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 5/8/2016 3:28 PM (#816518 - in reply to #816429)

Storm Strike - 5/7/2016 10:34 AM

It depends on the body of water/if im on a trip or just fishing local. If I'm on my annual trip to Green Bay we fish until 10:00 P.M. minimum and let the fish dictate when to get off the water. We're always back on the water no later than 5:00 A.M. There's but more than 1 occasion where we never got off for over 36 hours...not good for the body. If I'm fishing the local lakes I pretty much have the same plan. Fish till a little after 10, depending on the bite. Get up and on the water by 5 and fish till 9 or so. Spend the day with the fiance...win/win.
only catch'n
Posted 5/9/2016 5:50 AM (#816575 - in reply to #816353)
Subject: RE: Morning bite

I fish 2 to 4 days a week in early am and exclusively musky. When I go to the Turtle Flowage, usually I'm pulling out when the first boats pull up to launch. What I've learned over 15 years of doing this is I will find and catch fish in early season almost every day I go with as many as 20 different fish striking in a couple of hours (of course not all are hooked or landed). In early season they seem to be fishing by them selves but can be bunched up in spots like weeds waiting to ambush bait. Summer bite slows in the early am. Their not as ravenous and more cautious. The larger fish often times are hunting together trying to herd bait. Once I caught 3 fish in 3 casts, they were driving fish into a small shallow bay. Often in the summer I hunt muskies by watch for bait fish jumping, splashing or swirls. It's fun to know they are there before you even cast. Sometimes they are out in open water chasing the pelagic bait fish on the surface. A couple of years ago the water never got up to summer temps and there was zero fish feed early of any kind not even the little bait fish. Everybody was feeding mid day, my fishing buddy is a poor sleeper and said that summer his lake was a dead sea at night, not a sound. Fall it seems to be all about those feeding windows that everybody talks about, so early am is either on or off. One morning nothing next morning same lake their trying to jump in the boat it seems. I wish it was like that all the time. The larger fish are often working together herding fish. If you want to catch numbers in the early am the early season is the time to go, but there is a very special time in the fall which is only a matter a few days where the fish come up very shallow and it can be amazing. As a last note, sometimes in the spring and fall the sun needs to actually start hitting the water before the feeding begins. For example last spring I fished a 70 yard long shallow weed bed back and forth 3 times before I saw a fish. The sun started to hit the water and game on, 5 fish latter I had to leave to go to work and they were just getting wound up, splashing everywhere. I love early am.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)