Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Smity bait

Message Subject: Smity bait
smallriverbigbait
Posted 4/30/2016 9:29 AM (#815637)
Subject: Smity bait

What do you guys think about Smity baits? Which ones are good and which ones aren't.
fish4musky1
Posted 4/30/2016 9:47 AM (#815638 - in reply to #815637)
Subject: Re: Smity bait

I catch quite a few each year on the original 10" jerk bait. They are great lures that most forget about amidst the hype of the current "fads".
madmurph
Posted 4/30/2016 7:26 PM (#815655 - in reply to #815637)
Subject: RE: Smity bait

I agree with fish4musky. Smity Baits are excellent, quality made lures. However, with the rage over certain lures today and the fact that they don't have cool names, they just aren't popular. And knowing Smity, that's the way he likes it as he (and his son Jake) are not the flashy, cool, trendy types at all. In fact, I don't even think their website has been updated for several years.

I have numerous models of Smity's in different sizes and colors. The gambler and the scuttle bug are two of my favorite topwaters. I also like his jerk baits, gliders, divers and the power glide. He also makes a couple Dick Gries lures including the top kick and made Len Hartman's musky bug for a while as well.

Perhaps I am a bit biased towards his lures because I think so highly of Smity as a person and as a fisherman. He is one of the remaining legends in the musky world. If you get a chance to fish with him in the Minocqua area it is a true pleasure. He doesn't have a retail store, but also stop by his workshop in downtown Minocqua. If not, do yourself a favor and stop at Smity's booth at one of the shows.

muske99
Posted 4/30/2016 8:09 PM (#815657 - in reply to #815637)
Subject: RE: Smity bait

I love the Twitchin' Smity
Can't wait to try his new Chubs
Will make it a point to visit his booth every year from now on - nice guys
ToddM
Posted 4/30/2016 8:42 PM (#815659 - in reply to #815637)

Would he purposely make and sell a bait that was not good?
Yooper Padre
Posted 5/1/2016 6:53 AM (#815678 - in reply to #815637)

I stopped by the workshop in January to pick up a couple custom lures he made for me. Ended up staying for over an hour, as Russ showed me around the shop, explained the processes, then went on to talk about area lakes and techniques. Just a great guy.

Fr. K
NathanH
Posted 5/1/2016 7:08 AM (#815680 - in reply to #815678)

Yep really nice guys. I met them at the Wausau show and picked up a few baits.
tyler k
Posted 5/1/2016 10:45 AM (#815691 - in reply to #815637)

The short tail crank is a good one with unique action if you're looking for a shallow runner. Original jerkbait is great too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)