Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Reeds

Message Subject: Reeds
mm3
Posted 7/6/2016 10:19 AM (#822824)
Subject: Reeds

Can't say they are high priority on any of my milk runs on the lakes I fish. However, I saw someone pull one out of the reeds this weekend while I was getting skunked. So, I figured it might be time for me to learn a little bit more on when and how to fish them. Any special times of day/year or other conditions that you fish them? I've tried fishing them before with a spinner bait trying to get back towards the shore as far as possible. Also tried with bucktails in front and in any open pockets, but not sure if that is going to be effective (or need to get back in deeper). Are they ever in front or positioned off drops/cabbage waiting for raids into the reeds? Or when you fish reeds is it really targeting them deep in there?

Edited by mm3 7/6/2016 10:20 AM
Mr Fisherman
Posted 7/6/2016 10:50 AM (#822828 - in reply to #822824)
Subject: RE: Reeds

Call Jeff Frick at Slither Tackle and get a few of his Rattlers. They are Buzzbaits that Marv Kiely designed and he resurrected when he bought the company go thru the reeds amazing and they catch fish.
Tell him Mike Davis sent you he is a great guy.
Mr Fisherman
Posted 7/6/2016 10:53 AM (#822830 - in reply to #822824)

You can throw them Wayback in the reeds and they usually don't hang up the strikes are amazing
Musky Brian
Posted 7/6/2016 11:21 AM (#822834 - in reply to #822824)
Subject: Re: Reeds

, love fishing reeds. Especially in NW Ontario and Northern WI. I tend to catch fish patrolling the outsides of them but will occasionally pull some out with spinnerbaits inside of them. Not all reed beds are made the same, but if there is an outcropping or a point where they stick out just a hair more, that can be a good holding spot. Long, endless stretches are generally not productive. Smaller patches next to other structures like rocks or cabbage, very productive
tyler k
Posted 7/7/2016 1:06 PM (#822945 - in reply to #822824)

The short answer is both. You can fish the edge or drift your boat right through them hitting the pockets. Some will set up in pockets of cabbage on the edge; other lakes clean reeds (especially with rocks) are key. I've fished them in MN and for early season pike in Canada. It seems to be better when a) the sun is out b) the wind is blowing into the reeds c) the less big weed beds of other varieties there are d) you actually see forage around and in the reeds. I will check it whenever the above conditions exist or nothing else is working.
sworrall
Posted 7/7/2016 1:59 PM (#822950 - in reply to #822824)

Check out the Violent Strike Extractor. Absolutely will not get hung up in reeds or slop, and muskies seem to like them...a lot. The Musky Shop will be stocking them by the end of this month.

I'm one of those guys who loves to fish reeds and slop. Some days I find muskies all the way in the back of the reeds if the water is deep enough. River systems and reservoirs will offer a reed bite all year long.

Lost a really good fish a couple days ago in the reeds on the Moen Chain...it's still bugging me.
only catch'n
Posted 7/8/2016 7:59 AM (#823005 - in reply to #822824)

If you want to get really crazy, in the fall after the pickerel weed dies and falls into the water creating a dense entangled mat of brown stem, guess who can be lurking there? It seems stupid but I never miss the most exciting musky fishing of the year. Only 6 to 12 inches of water that looks like solid weeds holding fish up to 36 inches. I've fished these weed beds where there is one every 8 feet. It's like trout fishing you have to bring a bait past their feeding window and when you do a bomb goes off. They are in there like snakes and you cant see them. I have floated over these beds many times just to try to see one in there but have never spotted one yet. Once in a while I spot a big girl cruising on the outside in deeper water probably looking for the smaller muskies going to and from the pickerel weed. There are 2 problems with this fishing, 1 is weedless hooks can be hard to get a good hook set and 2 there just aren't enough patches of pickerel weed. And a bonus, I have never seen anybody ever fishing the pickerel weed. The secret is out !

djwilliams
Posted 7/9/2016 12:29 AM (#823071 - in reply to #822824)

Perch go into em in the fall and the big guys follow em in there. Last week I was getting hit by bass and smaller northerns using a slopper (Moore's Lures).
mm3
Posted 7/9/2016 11:10 PM (#823141 - in reply to #823071)

djwilliams - 7/9/2016 12:29 AM

Perch go into em in the fall and the big guys follow em in there. Last week I was getting hit by bass and smaller northerns using a slopper (Moore's Lures).

Looking forward to checking for them in there in the fall.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)