Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Newby question. Figure 8 on each cast?

Message Subject: Newby question. Figure 8 on each cast?
muskidiem
Posted 5/19/2016 8:31 AM (#817610 - in reply to #817484)
Subject: RE: Newby question. Figure 8 on each cast?

I once got an F in a college math class, so I'll stick to the theorum that I love fishing more than catching muskies, because I'll cast all day for nothing, then do it again the next day.
Percentage-wise I might actually get more boatside strikes if I don't pay any attention, so all the tactics I could ever use with all my (limited) skill might not mean a dumb thing afterall. But I will cast all day and I will do something at boatside on every cast.
Musky Brian
Posted 5/19/2016 8:37 AM (#817611 - in reply to #817484)
Subject: Re: Newby question. Figure 8 on each cast?

In full agreement with Brad/JL/Donnie/Matt/Travis, and there's a heck of a lot of caught fish behind their thoughts. Especially important when picking apart specific shallow structures. You can't hit a rock at 3 different angles if you are twirling a bait at your feet for a minute as your boat drifts along....

....and just because you are in L turn mode, doesn't mean you need to do your L in Mach 10 speed and rip it out of the water. When I am in that mode, I will always let the bait just kinda hang/flutter for a second at the end before whipping it out and casting again. That way if the late arriver comes out of nowhere, the bait is still in the water and you can then speed it up and do your thing.

Edited by Musky Brian 5/19/2016 9:06 AM
Dave T.
Posted 5/19/2016 9:55 AM (#817622 - in reply to #817484)

every cast..

its funny, ill do it when fishing for bass now

its just ingrained in my head..

boat partners just think im nuts when this happens..
DonnieHunt37
Posted 5/19/2016 10:22 AM (#817625 - in reply to #817484)

I love all the answers.... and there are no WRONG answers!!! BUT, for you new guys, I would suggest doing what you are comfortable doing... an L, a full figure 8, etc. BUT, whatever you do, if you are on BIG FISH water, DW we call it, HANG ON TO THAT ROD HANDLE!!!!
North of 8
Posted 5/19/2016 11:54 AM (#817633 - in reply to #817604)

I live on a chain with very dark, stained water and always do a figure 8. Still have had fish suddenly strike at the lure as I lifted it after a figure 8, never saw the fish until it came part way out of the water after the lure. Now that will get the blood pumping!
IAJustin
Posted 5/19/2016 12:02 PM (#817635 - in reply to #817633)

One thing to consider is presentation too.... Even on the same lake this often dictates if a full 8 is more effective ...I fish LOTW a lot, if I'm throwing topwater or tails, more times than not you will see the fish follow, doing an L with those presentations is more effective, especially with experienced anglers... when I'm deep crankin/ grinding rocks on the woods ( a deadly technique by the way) ... I'll always do a full 8 .... these "deep" fish come out of nowhere way too often on that lake not to!! On the opposite end of the spectrum... THere are situation's (not LOTW) when throwing WTD that I don't even fish the bait back to the boat... bait gets 10 yards from me ..I burn the bait back and fire another cast... So full 8 in every situation is silly too.. Perfecting the 8 will probably double your catch rate... I know some trips 80% of fish eat at the boat.. I guess to all "Newbies" .. welcome to the sickness

Edited by IAJustin 5/19/2016 12:34 PM
Fishysam
Posted 5/19/2016 12:38 PM (#817641 - in reply to #817611)

Musky Brian - 5/19/2016 8:37 AM

In full agreement with Brad/JL/Donnie/Matt/Travis, and there's a heck of a lot of caught fish behind their thoughts. Especially important when picking apart specific shallow structures. You can't hit a rock at 3 different angles if you are twirling a bait at your feet for a minute as your boat drifts along....

....and just because you are in L turn mode, doesn't mean you need to do your L in Mach 10 speed and rip it out of the water. When I am in that mode, I will always let the bait just kinda hang/flutter for a second at the end before whipping it out and casting again. That way if the late arriver comes out of nowhere, the bait is still in the water and you can then speed it up and do your thing.

I like this post the most. As far as I go, 12' tallon crucial for my fishing. Also every cast for me finishes with at least an L, then calmly as my lure is at rest I push the thumb bar down ( it gives me an additional second in the water for something to show up) then cast. I have a friend who yanks his lure out of the water from 1' down and in one motion casts. I did that to mess with him 3 casts in a row and I was tuckered out. My old man lifts his lure up and then switches hands to cast then hits the thumb bar. (I believe it takes less effort to push the button when everything is weightless and I get those extra seconds.

If there is 3 or 4 people in the boat a full 8 if there is 1 or 2 a L to 3/4 oval.
esoxaddict
Posted 5/19/2016 12:58 PM (#817644 - in reply to #817641)

One thing nobody mentioned that I've encountered a few times is when fishing with 3 people in the boat:

We always try to coordinate our casts so we don't have two people doing figure 8's at the same time. Having 3 lures out increases your odds of someone else's follow turning off and whacking your lure instead, and also having the "late arrival" come unexpectedly out of nowhere, often from under the boat. If we've got three in the boat, I'll often do an extra turn or two to get the "rythm" back of one lure in the air, one out and one at boatside. That extra turn has shown some color from time to time. My guess is those are fish that followed someone else's lure to the boat.
Fishysam
Posted 5/19/2016 1:06 PM (#817645 - in reply to #817644)

Agreed^^^ I also try not to cast when someone is doing a figure 8 I know a casting motion will scare most follows
Landry
Posted 5/19/2016 4:39 PM (#817657 - in reply to #817484)

I figure 8 unless I am shallow and there is no chance of a sneak attack. I got most of my fish on rights last year - which is awesome.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)