Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: '' I like this place''
- (Added by: Bayboo_baits)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> 3D printer molds

Message Subject: 3D printer molds
crazywayne
Posted 3/30/2016 4:10 PM (#811884)
Subject: 3D printer molds

Has anyone tried to make a mold made of aluminum on a 3D printer for pouring resin into it. A 2 piece mold would be nice. I was just looking at printers and the prices are down, can't say if they can do the job, that's why I am asking.
mnmusky
Posted 3/30/2016 4:15 PM (#811885 - in reply to #811884)
Subject: Re: 3D printer molds

Most 3d Printers don't print aluminum. It's usually some type of abs plastic. You need a printer that has a high powered laser to melt the aluminum powder.,unless things have changed recently?

Edited by mnmusky 3/30/2016 4:33 PM
crazywayne
Posted 3/31/2016 8:09 AM (#811983 - in reply to #811884)

Thanks it was a thought.
1VW
Posted 3/31/2016 10:15 AM (#812011 - in reply to #811884)
Subject: RE: 3D printer molds

A friend of mine runs a small soft plastic bait company that uses a lot of 3d printed molds made of polyethylene in combination with a low melt temp plastic for the baits.
I borrowed one of their old molds to see if it would work with 2 part resin and it does very nicely. I did use a paintable release agent during the test just as I do with silicone molds. With polyethylene as the mold substrate, I'm not sure release agent would ultimately be necessary, but I figured better safe than sorry, especially with a mold that didn't belong to me.

Now to figure out how to convince the wife she needs a 3d printer...
MRichardson
Posted 4/6/2016 1:32 PM (#812818 - in reply to #811884)
Subject: RE: 3D printer molds

It would work, you could pour resin into a ABS like 3D printed mold.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going too.  Aluminum molds are nice because you can warm them and they retain heat. But it should work with a plastic mold too.  People are 3d printing cavity and core blocks for injection molding with success.

The technology does exist to "print" metals using a laser sintering process, but I have no friends who own them and I'm not paying for one of those machines...

Zinox
Posted 4/6/2016 1:44 PM (#812823 - in reply to #811884)

I tried injection moulding plastisol into a 2 part mold made on a stratasys SEplus 3d printer, it worked ok, but the finish is #*#*, the mold would need some kind of treatment to work properly, haven't gotten around to play any more with it.
dtaijo174
Posted 4/6/2016 3:48 PM (#812853 - in reply to #811884)

Check out protolabs.com Pick a resin that has a high glass transition temperature. You'll be fine with the two part resin.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)