Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Pecking Order

Message Subject: Pecking Order
jaultman
Posted 1/5/2016 12:46 PM (#798183)
Subject: Pecking Order

This summer while fishing off my dock with my kids I witnessed something new [to me] and very interesting. A good-sized largemouth kind of "tended" a school of bluegills, rock bass, and smaller LMB. If the big bass was around, we couldn't catch a fish. She'd chase the others away if they tried to take my bait. The bass wasn't interested in eating, but neither would she let the others eat. I'd harass her and make her leave, then I'd catch the other fish. But when she was back, the others had to mind her orders. This happened a few different days. The lesser fish could only eat when the dominant one said they could.

Think this happens with muskies? Could a dominant fish try to control forage consumption? Seems like maybe a survival insurance strategy.
Will Schultz
Posted 1/5/2016 1:00 PM (#798189 - in reply to #798183)
Subject: Re: Pecking Order

IMO the bass was trying to take advantage of her forage being distracted when trying to eat. I've watched this happen with fish in tanks, rivers ponds and lakes many times, the smaller fish are safe until distracted and once they decide to feed the larger fish seize the opportunity.
jaultman
Posted 1/5/2016 1:20 PM (#798195 - in reply to #798183)

Hmm. Didn't seem like the bass had any intent to feed on the fish. Seemed like she just wanted the small food (my bait) to remain available until she wanted to eat it later.

Kind of reminded me of when my daughter Arie doesn't want my son Sol to play with her toy, even though she, herself, isn't playing with the toy, and doesn't intend to play with it anytime soon.
Flambeauski
Posted 1/5/2016 1:58 PM (#798202 - in reply to #798183)

My kids do that all the time too. Drives me nuts. I agree with Will, though. I've seen muskies tend panfish. If you manage to hook one it's dead meat, of course the pannies are rarely dumb enough to feed when the muskie is present.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/5/2016 4:24 PM (#798228 - in reply to #798183)

I've seen this with bass before, too. My only experience with muskies in this regard have been a few followers who were chased off by a larger fish. While I don't believe there's any sort of social structure or hierarchy like you see with pack animals, the bigger fish sure seem to feed first.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/6/2016 8:40 AM (#798329 - in reply to #798228)

I'd buy that Jesse. When you find a pack of fish on a spot, the biggest fish are typically up front and smaller fish in line behind them. I have also seen a big fish chase off a smaller one following a bait.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)