Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Forage Fish

Message Subject: Forage Fish
Muskymayhem27
Posted 12/2/2015 11:35 AM (#794862)
Subject: Forage Fish

Hello everyone,

This may be a noob question and probably asked a million times but is there ever a time a bait is too big? I hear a lot of talk about trying to match the hatch and most lakes in my area don't have the large forage fish like normal lakes and are stacked with perch, sunnies, and crappie. I have noticed more activity with baits around 6"-9" but I've yet to see any action on my larger baits (pounders and 10+" cranks). Are these baits just too large?

I have also noticed a increase in fishing pressure for muskies in the area which could be a result of them chasing smaller baits versus bigger baits? The bass guys I talk to seem to have more action than most musky guys, unfortunately.

Thanks in advanced.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 12/3/2015 9:16 AM (#794997 - in reply to #794862)
Subject: Re: Forage Fish

Sounds like you already have it figured out! Big baits rock, but so do little baits.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 12/3/2015 12:32 PM (#795037 - in reply to #794862)

They each have their time and place....
Will Schultz
Posted 12/3/2015 1:39 PM (#795048 - in reply to #794862)

Forage size doesn't necessarily dictate lure size. It would be interesting to know more about the water, depth, size, clarity, weed growth and what other fish are present. Not knowing your location , with the species you've named it seems there should be suckers, bullheads and carp.
WiscoMusky
Posted 12/4/2015 12:58 AM (#795156 - in reply to #794862)

I would also add to will's list northern pike. pike are often a source of forage for musky, which in the case of this thread, pike could be an indication of large baits potentially being alright...

But if smaller baits work on your water, who cares what we say haha. Cast your 6-8inch baits and catch some fish ??
Muskymayhem27
Posted 12/4/2015 12:26 PM (#795202 - in reply to #795048)

Thanks everyone for the informative responses!

More information about the lake:

Man made 526 acre lake.
It is deep in the "main parts" of the lake from 30-70ft for the deepest. Shorelines can have some deep drops 10-20ft real fast.
There is a #*^@ that pulls water out into a stream and quiet deep around there.
Unfortunately they spray the lake so we haven't found weeds like they have been in recent years.
Clarity depends on the time of year. Right now it's probably like 6-8 feet but in September there was a bad algae bloom and it clarity was about 2 inches (no joke).
Other fish: big carp. Decent size catfish have been caught. Not 100% sure about suckers? I know there are some creeks that come into the lake I believe, but it's hard to get into them because it's so shallow so i don't know how far they go. No northern pike either.

Thanks again!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)