Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> The Summer Home Range

Message Subject: The Summer Home Range
BrianF.
Posted 12/15/2015 3:19 PM (#796341)
Subject: The Summer Home Range

We know from both transmitter tracking studies and anecdotal observations that many muskies use very specific home ranges, particularly in the summer months.

My own experience is that an individual musky might use the same little summer spot from one year to the next, though I've not seen summer home range fidelity for more than three years in a row. I'll also add that the summer home range seems to shift throughout the summer months. Where a big fish will show-up and stay consistently in early July seems to change from where that fish will sit, for example, in mid-August. Often, a big fish will seem to stay for a week or two, maybe three, then leave. We'll see them again on the same spot at the same time for the same duration the following year. I'll add that these 'resident' fish can be very hard to catch! You're first shot at them will usually be your best.

So, what's been your experience and thinking relative to a musky's summer home range? How do we use this knowledge to our advantage?

Larry, any tracking insights that might help us??

Brian

Edited by BrianF. 12/15/2015 3:21 PM
Larry Ramsell
Posted 12/16/2015 6:29 AM (#796395 - in reply to #796341)
Subject: Re: The Summer Home Range

Brian: Not enough years involved in my tracking work, but I know the transmitter fish DID return to the same place(s) each year. However, if hooked or caught during the season, I found that they immediately vacated that area, not to return until the next season.

The scenario you describe indicates to me more of a "follow the bait fish" situation, but thankfully, we'll never know all that they are thinking in the very small pea sized brain of theirs!

Usually the first time a big fish is contacted is indeed the best chance at catching them. After that, it seems that "conditioning" kicks in and/or their enhanced "survival mode" kicks in and the bigger they get the harder they are to catch...unless you surprise them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)