Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskies effect on fisheries and fish species after stocking...?

Message Subject: Muskies effect on fisheries and fish species after stocking...?
Reelwise
Posted 11/29/2015 11:52 PM (#794608)
Subject: Muskies effect on fisheries and fish species after stocking...?

Does anyone have any good links in regards to the effects for stocking Muskies into new bodies of water? Any websites?

Please, share their knowledge on the subject.

Do Muskies negatively effect populations of fish such as bass and walleye?

Personally, I do not believe they have a negative impact on overall populations of adult fish based off of what I have read, the current conditions of some bodies of water where Muskies have been introduced, and from what I have experienced - Of course I'm sure there are a few exceptions where things did not go as planned... or are there?

Just looking for other ideas and I'm interested in your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!

Edited by Reelwise 11/30/2015 12:07 AM
jaultman
Posted 11/30/2015 7:37 AM (#794622 - in reply to #794608)
Subject: RE: Muskies effect on fisheries and fish species after stocking...?

Here's one:

"Fish Community Responses to the Introduction of Muskellunge into Minnesota Lakes"

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fisheries/species/mue/mue_stocking.pdf

Abstract:
The popularity of sportfishing for muskellunge Esox masquinongy in Minnesota has increased substantially during the last 20 years and has resulted in a call for creating more fishing opportunities. As new waters are considered for muskellunge management, some anglers have expressed concern over the effects on other popular game fish species of adding a top-level predator. We evaluated the responses of seven fish species to muskellunge by comparing gill-net and/or trap-net catch per unit effort (CPUE) before and after muskellunge were stocked in 41 Minnesota lakes composed of 12 lake-classes. The species examined were northern pike Esox lucius, walleye Sander vitreus, yellow perch Perca flavescens, bluegill Lepomis macrochirus, black crappie Pomoxis nigromaculatus, white sucker Catostomus commersonii, and cisco Coregonus artedi. We found no significant decreases among the lakes in the mean CPUE of any species after muskellunge stocking, either for the stocked lakes as a whole or within lake-classes. There was a significant increase in the mean CPUE for bluegills over the entire group of lakes and within lake-class 24 in addition to an increase in the mean CPUE for black crappies sampled by gill nets in lake-class 25. Nevertheless, there was large variability in the changes in CPUE among lakes, and several individual lakes had significant changes in mean CPUE for some species following muskellunge stocking. The trend in CPUE increased for yellow perch and declined for white suckers over the entire group of lakes after muskellunge stocking. Because Minnesota follows established, biologically based guidelines for selecting new muskellunge lakes, the study lakes were not chosen at random and therefore the study conclusions most appropriately apply to lakes chosen in this manner. The lack of consistent negative changes in CPUE after stocking suggests that these fish species have generally coexisted well with muskellunge in these lakes at the densities that have resulted from stocking.
horsehunter
Posted 11/30/2015 8:17 AM (#794624 - in reply to #794608)
Subject: Re: Muskies effect on fisheries and fish species after stocking...?

Muskies eat all the walleye, that's what the clowns that troll a rapala a foot under the surface till the beers gone tell me.
Will Schultz
Posted 11/30/2015 8:53 AM (#794626 - in reply to #794608)

This is a examination of a variety of species on walleye stocking/recruitment. The only noted adverse relationship is largemouth bass.

http://mnmuskie.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/MUE_ImpactOnWalleye....
Reelwise
Posted 12/1/2015 1:17 PM (#794753 - in reply to #794608)

Thanks for the links!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)