Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Fluorocarbon Leader Building Question?

Message Subject: Fluorocarbon Leader Building Question?
BigEasy
Posted 11/23/2015 6:49 PM (#793802)
Subject: Fluorocarbon Leader Building Question?

Hi guys new kid on the block here with a question about fluoro leaders, and this will likely open a huge can of worms: what type of knot do you use when building your own leaders? I'm sure that's like asking what oil to burn in your outboard but I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks.

In a little Google excersize yesterday I learned of two knots the salt water dudes use I've never heard of before: the Joe Miller and the San Diego Jam. Any thoughts on those two?

I posted this question in another thread and was advised that I was thread crashing and should start my own, oops. That's why you may have seen this question before.
cave run legend
Posted 11/23/2015 6:56 PM (#793805 - in reply to #793802)
Subject: Re: Fluorocarbon Leader Building Question?

http://leetauchen.com/lees_leader_knot.pdf
Chemi
Posted 11/23/2015 6:59 PM (#793806 - in reply to #793802)
Subject: RE: Fluorocarbon Leader Building Question?

I use a reverse nail knot; see:

Haven't ever had one fail. You can then crimp the tag end to the leader and/or superglue it when done, but I usually don't.

BigEasy
Posted 11/23/2015 7:32 PM (#793812 - in reply to #793806)

Chemi - 11/23/2015 7:59 PM

Haven't ever had one fail. You can then crimp the tag end to the leader and/or superglue it when done, but I usually don't.

Interesting, in my google play yesterday I found that webpage, but thanks for putting it out there. The other interesting, but weird internet stuff, I saw reference to the reverse nail knot but found no solid tieing info.

Thanks to you both
Chemi
Posted 11/23/2015 9:01 PM (#793819 - in reply to #793812)

BigEasy - 11/23/2015 8:32 PM
Chemi - 11/23/2015 7:59 PM

Interesting, in my google play yesterday I found that webpage, but thanks for putting it out there. The other interesting, but weird internet stuff, I saw reference to the reverse nail knot but found no solid tieing info. Thanks to you both
Also, the Magnum-sized one of these makes these knots drop-dead easy to tie with heavy fluoro:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Tie-Fast-Knot-Tying-Tool/711069.uts 

pklingen
Posted 11/24/2015 3:00 PM (#793878 - in reply to #793802)

nail knot, sleeve the tag end, then super glue. i use the tool pictured above. they look like 'stealth's' ends when finished correctly.
RyanJoz
Posted 11/24/2015 6:25 PM (#793894 - in reply to #793802)

Get a proper crimper and forget tying. I have never had one with double barrel swivels come loose after they are crimped. I use 80 and 180 lb fluoro. I have hung from the 180's and they haven't budged.
muskyroller
Posted 11/24/2015 7:29 PM (#793908 - in reply to #793802)

Looking at this thread, I'm curious about a few things;
1. the "tie fast" tool...how does it work?
2. pklingen - What do you mean by "sleeve the tag end?"
3. Would this knot work tying 7-strand wire? Or do you just do a haywire twist and forget about anything else?

Thanks guys...winter is fast approaching and looking for projects!
cave run legend
Posted 11/24/2015 7:42 PM (#793910 - in reply to #793802)

Crimp the tag end with a barrel. I crimp mine with a high seas crimping tool and have yet to have one fail in the 4 years since making them. After you mushroom the tag end it cannot go back through the barrel sleeve if the crimp failed.
Mitch Garcia
Posted 11/24/2015 8:59 PM (#793924 - in reply to #793802)

The Tie-Fast tool is fantastic. I have both the Magnum and the small one. I keep a set in my tackle box and another set on my bench. As I've gotten older tying knots on the boat was tough without getting out my glasses to see. The Knot-Tier is so easy to use and no glasses needed. And I use it to make my fluorocarbons and sleeve the tag. Since I started making my own leaders I've never had a fail.
Chemi
Posted 11/25/2015 7:11 AM (#793947 - in reply to #793908)

muskyroller - 11/24/2015 8:29 PM Looking at this thread, I'm curious about a few things; 1. the "tie fast" tool...how does it work? 2. pklingen - What do you mean by "sleeve the tag end?" 3. Would this knot work tying 7-strand wire? Or do you just do a haywire twist and forget about anything else? Thanks guys...winter is fast approaching and looking for projects!

Watch this video to see how the Tie Fast makes these knots easy. The tool in the vid is the smaller one; I use the Magnum size for tying heavy fluoro. It comes with easy-to-understand instructions:

https://youtu.be/611JWRtkjOc  

pklingen
Posted 11/25/2015 6:59 PM (#794030 - in reply to #793802)

when the nail knot is complete there will be a tag end of line coming out of the back end of the knot. i put a sleeve over the main line and this tag end and then crimp them together. then i glue the knot and cut off the tag end close to the sleeve.

i use sleeves and crimp my sevenstrand. i don't believe a haywire twist would work on anything thats not single strand wire.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)