Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Amazing underwater footage!

Message Subject: Amazing underwater footage!
Stranger2bluewater
Posted 12/3/2015 6:23 PM (#795081)
Subject: Amazing underwater footage!

You have to check out this video:

https://youtu.be/g9eITRSFi2c

It is from a youtube channel called 'Underwater Ireland'. He has tons of cool videos of pike row trolling shot from right in front of the lure(s). The strikes are unbelievable! You will enjoy seeing these European lures as well. He would probably catch more fish if he put hooks on the lures instead of paper clips. He is taking catch and release to a new level...

Enjoy!

Edited by Stranger2bluewater 12/3/2015 6:31 PM
dfkiii
Posted 12/3/2015 7:44 PM (#795091 - in reply to #795081)
Subject: Re: Amazing underwater footage!

Great video ! Some of those pike have pretty interesting color patterns.
Chemi
Posted 12/3/2015 9:27 PM (#795119 - in reply to #795091)

dfkiii - 12/3/2015 8:44 PM Great video ! Some of those pike have pretty interesting color patterns.

Makes me wonder about some of the fish over here that get called "tigers". There aren't any muskies over there to blame...

jackpotjohnny48
Posted 12/3/2015 9:39 PM (#795123 - in reply to #795081)
Subject: RE: Amazing underwater footage!

That was very cool! Thanks for sharing that.

I thought it was interesting to see how many times the pike were simply inhaling the bait from behind.

I have always believed that the preferred method is to kill the prey by T-boning it from the side. Once the prey is dead, then turn it around and swallow it head first, in order to push down the fins.

It seems dangerous to swallow / inhale the fish tail first, as this would seem to create a choking hazard. Yet many of the pike were doing this in the video. Surprising....

Also, how was this filmed?

I have seen a guy who mounted an Aqua Vu to a downrigger ball, but I'm not sure exactly how the cameras were set up here. Not sure if this was ultra short line / prop wash trolling or what?

I would be curious to know the camera set up.

In any case it was an awesome video. Thanks for posting this.
Stranger2bluewater
Posted 12/4/2015 7:55 AM (#795166 - in reply to #795081)

I watched a bunch of his videos trying to figure out his setup. I found one where it showed his boat briefly. It looked like a catamaran style inflatable with oar locks and he was wearing waders. It looks like he is mostly fishing shallow rivers and rowing against the current trolling the "prop-wash". It is really fascinating! I agree about the T-boning. The majority of the strikes result in the lure completely sideways in the pike's mouth.
Slamr
Posted 12/4/2015 9:33 AM (#795177 - in reply to #795166)

Awesome footage! Reminds me to put a Water Wolf Camera on my wish list for this year!

Observation: those pikes sure let go fast after the strike. Mental note to sharpen all hooks more and better.
Chemi
Posted 12/4/2015 9:49 AM (#795181 - in reply to #795123)

jackpotjohnny48 - 12/3/2015 10:39 PM I thought it was interesting to see how many times the pike were simply inhaling the bait from behind. I have always believed that the preferred method is to kill the prey by T-boning it from the side. Once the prey is dead, then turn it around and swallow it head first, in order to push down the fins. It seems dangerous to swallow / inhale the fish tail first, as this would seem to create a choking hazard. Yet many of the pike were doing this in the video. 

If I was a pike and had once tried to swallow a fish that I subsequently decided to spit out, I might want that fish headed OUT of my mouth at first, so the dorsal spikes don't keep it from being easily ejected. Once it's injured/killed I can then spit it out and turn it head-in. Plus, attack from behind is harder for the prey to detect.

Stranger2bluewater
Posted 12/5/2015 6:16 AM (#795277 - in reply to #795081)

If you watch his other videos the lure winds up completely sideways in the pike's mouth more often than not (despite almost always approaching from behind). I think this is their preference, maybe for the reasons that Chemi pointed out.

The hard lures do not stay in the pike's mouth very long at all. No wonder it is so hard to hookup with a hard jerkbait! Now check out this video where he demostrates a monster fly:

https://youtu.be/PoNS_Zi1CLY

This mop of a fly gets stuck in the pike's mouth for a very long period of time as compared to the hard baits. Perhaps some baits would benefit from the addition of feathers and fur.
timhutson1
Posted 12/5/2015 10:57 AM (#795299 - in reply to #795081)

Great footage. Very interesting to observe some of the things you are all talking about; how fast they spit some baits out and how they are attacking from behind but they end up sideways in their mouths.
mnmusky
Posted 12/5/2015 11:07 AM (#795300 - in reply to #795299)

Here is his camera setup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIcM2rHku7w

looks more stable than a water wolf camera. less vertigo watching his vids than a waterwolf.
can make your own if you have a go pro.
bturg
Posted 12/5/2015 1:41 PM (#795306 - in reply to #795081)

A couple thoughts:

Snake like quickness is a huge advantage when setting the hooks as they let go very quickly if things don't feel right...obviously hooks being super sharp and hanging up a bit on the strike help considerable (nothing new but notable).

The hard baits are going to react differently on the strike (in the fish's mouth) than soft baits and real fish so how they end up in the fish's mouth after the strike will be different. They reject the soft baits pretty quickly as well.

Inhalation is the key strike technique, teeth only hold on after the strike occurs. In real time strikes look more like a dog grabbing with teeth but slo-mo shows otherwise.
tolle141
Posted 12/5/2015 2:28 PM (#795310 - in reply to #795081)

From this i'm half tempted to remove a back hook on my baits as it seems a middle hook is the most significant. That back hook under normal situations is just asking for a bad release.

Flies - It's been written about before how easily they get sucked in.

Also thought it was interested how they were dragging a real fish next to a bait and the fish never got eaten.
jimjimjim
Posted 12/5/2015 3:27 PM (#795313 - in reply to #795310)

I have noticed (since 1959) that pike strike the lure's tail and musky hit the lure from the side ,,,,,,, not always ,,, but most of the time ----- jim
fishdawg
Posted 12/5/2015 4:47 PM (#795315 - in reply to #795081)

That was ten minutes of awesome.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)