Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Thorne Bros Custom Rods?

Message Subject: Thorne Bros Custom Rods?
Ruddiger
Posted 11/29/2015 11:49 AM (#794550)
Subject: Thorne Bros Custom Rods?

Howdy,

I'm seriously considering an order for some custom Predator rods from Thorne Bros. and was curious if anyone could tell me how their final product's quality, fit, finish etc. stacks up to a top of the line Loomis or St. Croix. I've never heard anything bad about their work ever, but I've never seen one in person either.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Zinox
Posted 11/29/2015 11:55 AM (#794552 - in reply to #794550)
Subject: Re: Thorne Bros Custom Rods?

I mainly use LT, as I'm located in Eruope, Used a thorn Predator rod when i was fishing with Ben Olsen on leech lake, and it's awesome, Would love to own a XXH predator for Pounders,
genesisperformance
Posted 11/29/2015 1:00 PM (#794558 - in reply to #794552)

Predators are tough to beat, i own a couple and they are very impressive
dami0101
Posted 12/1/2015 9:37 PM (#794804 - in reply to #794550)

I have a 9' XH predator that I got 2 seasons ago, I like it, it's a nice rod, but at the end of the day it doesn't make a better fisherman and doesn't catch me more fish. I've fished a Big Dawg, a Big Nasty, and a TI 9' XH, all of which were also good rods. At the end of the day what makes a predator special is that it was built custom for you, something that you could also have done with the blanks I mentioned. Thorne zeros does great work, but After 2 seasons, I'm not convinced that a predator rod is worth the extra money.
Cloud7
Posted 12/2/2015 9:29 AM (#794835 - in reply to #794550)

I myself am going to disagree with dami0101 and I'll explain...
I've fished with many rods, Shimano Compres, Toothtamers, and up until this year I was using St. Croix Legend Tournaments almost exclusively. All great rods, good feel, and very capable of catching fish.
After last season I felt I was in need of a true big rubber rod and felt my Legend Tournament Big Dawg was underpowered for throwing lures larger than Mag Bulldawgs (personal opinion, not law).
This year I took the dive and purchased a 9'4 XHeavy Predator customized with upgraded guides, the extended palming reel seat, and a 19" handle (based on specifications that Ben Olson and other much better sticks had mentioned in previous MuskieFirst posts and at seminars). I got my rod right in time for WI and MN Openers and was pleasantly surprised. I personally am comfortable launching Pounder Bulldawgs and Husky Medussas, but that rod also allows me to throw everything down to Mepps Giant Killers where I feel I'm not losing much control/range/response (again all personal opinion). Since then I've purchased a second Predator (9'6 XH) and sold off all my Legend Tournaments except for my Jerk and my Big Dawg. Between my My 9'6 XH + Tranx PG, my 9'4 + Tranx HG, and Legend Tournament Jerk (7'6 XH) + Calcutta I can throw every lure I need, and I've kept my LT Big Nasty as a spare rod for when I take people out.

I really like the way the Predator blank loads and launches lures, it's hard to explain but essentially you're using a customized St. Croix SCIV blank without the IPC tooling which gives the rod a bit more bend throughout which just works.

I also like the extra inches on the back handle + Extended palming Seat. After casting with my Predator and going back to a stock Legend Tournament, I felt a bit "handcuffed" by the shorter grip. It affords me a wider grip and better feel when casting all day.

They aren't cheap, but then again nothing about musky fishing really is. Are they worth it? To me my two Predators were, granted it's very situational based on what you already have, what you need, and what you can afford. I've always had the mindset that a great reel will do more for you and allow you to actually fish more, a great rod just makes it all more comfortable.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions,

C7
Jeremy
Posted 12/5/2015 2:59 PM (#795312 - in reply to #794550)

I live close by and have 3 of their custom rods plus a custom fore-grip done on a St. Croix rod that needed to be beefed up in dia.

Their work is excellent in all aspects and I'd have them do anything on my rods if needed.
Dan Klis
Posted 12/5/2015 5:26 PM (#795317 - in reply to #795312)

I used to work for Paul and Greg Thorne in the early nineties. And have many custom rods built by them. Lonnie was hired when I worked there over 20 years ago. They are the best. And we're voted by, I believe, Field and Stream Magazine the best tackle store in North America. I have one Predator blank and love it. Also have of the hard to find Sage 569.

Lonnie always builds my rods. You won't be disappointed. If you are PM me and I will buy it!
Mr Musky
Posted 12/6/2015 8:43 AM (#795365 - in reply to #794550)

Am I wrong or isn't the 9'XH Predator built from the St Croix LT Big Nasty blank?
Pal
Posted 12/6/2015 8:59 AM (#795367 - in reply to #795365)

Mr Musky - 12/6/2015 8:43 AM

Am I wrong or isn't the 9'XH Predator built from the St Croix LT Big Nasty blank?

No, the Predator blank is a custom blank St Croix makes just for Thorne Bros and its custom rods.
5th lake Brad
Posted 12/6/2015 11:43 AM (#795383 - in reply to #794550)

Pretty sure the predator blanks all fall in between the LT blanks in terms of action. As in a predator heavy in between the long ranger and slingblade. I'm not sure how the heavier rods fit together though.
nar160
Posted 12/6/2015 8:52 PM (#795456 - in reply to #794550)

What is a typical cost for a 9' or 9'6" XH Thorne Bros custom rod?
bigfoot
Posted 12/6/2015 9:45 PM (#795464 - in reply to #795456)

nar160 - 12/6/2015 8:52 PM

What is a typical cost for a 9' or 9'6" XH Thorne Bros custom rod?

You can calculate it on their website
Cloud7
Posted 12/7/2015 9:56 AM (#795496 - in reply to #795365)

"Am I wrong or isn't the 9'XH Predator built from the St Croix LT Big Nasty blank?"

Yes and No.

The Predator Blank is the same quality/grade of St. Croix's SCIV Graphite used in the Legend Tournament Series, but customized to perform differently. They have a completely different bend/feel.

C7
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)