Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> I did it. I think?

Reply New post
Message Subject: I did it. I think?
esoxaddict
Posted 11/20/2015 7:47 PM (#793413)
Subject: I did it. I think?

Had a bit of a panic attack this morning when I checked the weather. Lows down to 9 tomorrow night, 3-5" of snow...

"CRAP!! I have to winterize the boat! How the %^*& do I do that?!"

Sooo. Thanks to the valuable insights of the folks here, I think I did everything right. I think? So tell me if I missed anything or of I should have done anything differently...

1. Spent $150 at the boat supply store. Gear oil, Engine oil, Drain Plug gaskets, muffs, oil filter, can of Sea Foam...

2. Dumped can of sea foam in the tank. (Tank was nearly full)

3. Hooked up muffs, turned on hose. Water all over the garage. It does not slope towards the drain like I thought. Water is under tool cabinets, shelves, etc. I need a beer.

3. Started motor. Nothing from pee hole. Stopped motor. Now what? Turned hose a bit higher. Garage flooded. Started motor. Pee hole working. Got smart, put 5 gal bucket under pee hole. Kind of like whizzing on a forest fire with water coming from everywhere else, but better than nothing. Ran for 10 min.

4. Squeegeed and mopped flooded garage. Floor drain does NOT work. There goes another 20 minutes. I need another beer.

4. Found drain pan. Another 15 minutes gone. Pulled top plug from lower unit. Tight! Attempted to pull bottom plug. Would not budge. Tried one of those right-angle screwdrivers. *SNAP* Screwdriver now broken. Clamped vice grips on regular screwdriver. Broke that one too. Luckily for me, I use Craftsman tools and have learned to keep a spare. #2 finally got the job done. 20 minutes to drain gear oil. I need another beer.

5. Following instructions from here and Ebay and the owners manual, I tried filing the lower unit from the bottom hole like everyone says you should. 90W gear oil is not very viscous at 40 degrees. Sat on the floor, squishing that %*(% bottle for all I was worth, still couldn't get anything to come out of the top hole. Replaced top plug, and then the bottom plug to make sure what I already put in there didn't wind up in the drain pan.

6. IDEA! Check capacity. 26.5 oz. Bottle is 32 oz. That means I need to have (math in head, brain smoking) 5.5 oz left in the bottle when I am done. Okay... Crap. 10 oz left. Maybe I can put the stuff in the top hole like you do on a car. Yes, it IS possible. #*^@ cold. But it takes a good half an hour, because you can only put a little bit in there at a time. And every time you pull the tip out to check it, the stuff barfs out of the hole along with a bunch of air bubbles. Gear lube smells like %&$*. I remember why I quit working on cars. I need another beer....

7. After 30 min of spilling the stuff all over and having the crap halfway up to my elbows, I finally got to the magic 5 oz left in the bottle mark. Good enough. Cleaned up mess.

8. Now... Engine oil. Gotta be just like a car, right? Drain plug, gasket, oil filter, easy peasy... Well... The plug on a Yamaha is recessed inside this rubber boot like thing on the back of the motor. You can't see the plug. You can't tell what size it is because you can't see it. Going back to my days as a car guy, my brain starts working... Hmmm. Yamaha. Gotta be metric. 10mm? Nope. 13 mm? Nope. 14mm??? Ah ha!! Simple. Got in there with a swivel ratchet and a short extension, broke the plug loose. "This should be easy!" turn, turn, turn...

9. Wait. I should change the filter first. Removed cowl cover. Ahh, there it is. Easy. "GGNNHGH!!" NOT easy. Spend 10 minutes trying to remove filter. Actually rolling the boat in the process. Crap. Another 10 minutes finding oil filter wrench. Thank God I have a few of these still laying around. Nope. All the wrong size. I need another beer.

10. IDEA! Call wife. Beg her to stop at auto parts store on way home for small filter wrench. Explain that new motor costs $15,000 and that 9 degrees will ensure that $15,000 will go to boat in the spring instead of stuff she wants to buy. Wife agrees. Small victory. Wife says "have you been drinking??" Nope. Not me.

9. Then I got an idea. If I take a long funnel, and tuck it under this little rubber deal, I can drain the stuff through the funnel into the drain pan and not spill a drop. BRILLIANT!! So I'm turning the plug with one hand, holding the funnel with the other. turn turn turn, turn... Holy crap, how long is this stupid plug? Got it. *BLARRRGH!!!!!!* This is NOT like changing the oil on a car. I worked in an oil change shop for 4 years as a kid. I thought I knew what to expect. Nope. Even a large funnel cannot accommodate the volume of oil that spills out of a Yamaha in a matter of 5 seconds. I used to be able to do this stuff without even getting my hands dirty! Now I've got a 5' diameter oil slick in my garage! Made worse by the fact that we JUST paid the Amigos a LOT of money to scrub, soak, power wash, and mop the floor. ****. Samantha's gonna #*#* when she sees this! I need a beer. Knocked over beer #6 wiping up big ass mess.

10. Wife shows up. Sees giant oil slick. Surprisingly calm. Spent 15 minutes on hands and knees wiping up oil. Entire lower unit and prop dripping the whole time. Another 10 minutes to scrub floor with laundry detergent and rags. Use new filter wrench to remove filter. Clean up mess. Finished what was left of beer #6. Install new filter, fill oil. Good. Lower unit is done. Stabil is done. Oil Change is done. Mess is done.

11. Fog? Not fog? Owners manual says fog. Everyone else says not to. Wife comes out and says "Honey, don't forget we're supposed to have snow tonight. We might need the snow blower!"

12. Crap. Snow blower! Push boat to back of garage, move car and truck into garage. Unearth snow blower... Tires flat. Crap. Fill tires. Fill with gas. Snow blower runs! Thank God for electric start! Move wifes car into garage. Snowing now.. I need a beer....

So, long story short... Ran Sta-bil through the motor, changed the lower unit, changed the oil and filter, and plugged her in. Did not fog. Wife angry that I spend the whole day working on the boat leaving dishes, etc all over.

Is the boat going to be okay?
cave run legend
Posted 11/20/2015 7:57 PM (#793415 - in reply to #793413)
Subject: Re: I did it. I think?

You first said sea foam then you say sta-bil?
Pointerpride102
Posted 11/20/2015 8:28 PM (#793417 - in reply to #793413)
Subject: RE: I did it. I think?

esoxaddict - 11/20/2015 7:47 PM

Had a bit of a panic attack this morning when I checked the weather. Lows down to 9 tomorrow night, 3-5" of snow...

Sooo. Thanks to the valuable insights of the folks here, I think I did everything right. I think? So tell me if I missed anything or of I should have done anything differently...

1. Spent $150 at the boat supply store. Gear oil, Engine oil, Drain Plug gaskets, muffs, oil filter, can of Sea Foam...

3. Hooked up muffs, turned on hose. Water all over the garage. It does not slope towards the drain like I thought. Water is under tool cabinets, shelves, etc. I need a beer.

3. Started motor. Nothing from pee hole. Stopped motor. Now what? Turned hose a bit higher. Garage flooded. Started motor. Pee hole working. Got smart, put 5 gal bucket under pee hole. Kind of like whizzing on a forest fire with water coming from everywhere else, but better than nothing. Ran for 10 min.

4. Squeegeed and mopped flooded garage. Floor drain does NOT work. There goes another 20 minutes. I need another beer.

4. Found drain pan. Another 15 minutes gone. Pulled top plug from lower unit. Tight! Attempted to pull bottom plug. Would not budge. Tried one of those right-angle screwdrivers. *SNAP* Screwdriver now broken. Clamped vice grips on regular screwdriver. Broke that one too. Luckily for me, I use Craftsman tools and have learned to keep a spare. #2 finally got the job done. 20 minutes to drain gear oil. I need another beer.

5. Following instructions from here and Ebay and the owners manual, I tried filing the lower unit from the bottom hole like everyone says you should. 90W gear oil is not very viscous at 40 degrees. Sat on the floor, squishing that %*(% bottle for all I was worth, still couldn't get anything to come out of the top hole. Replaced top plug, and then the bottom plug to make sure what I already put in there didn't wind up in the drain pan.

6. IDEA! Check capacity. 26.5 oz. Bottle is 32 oz. That means I need to have (math in head, brain smoking) 5.5 oz left in the bottle when I am done. Okay... Crap. 10 oz left. Maybe I can put the stuff in the top hole like you do on a car. Yes, it IS possible. #*^@ cold. But it takes a good half an hour, because you can only put a little bit in there at a time. And every time you pull the tip out to check it, the stuff barfs out of the hole along with a bunch of air bubbles. Gear lube smells like %&$*. I remember why I quit working on cars. I need another beer....

7. After 30 min of spilling the stuff all over and having the crap halfway up to my elbows, I finally got to the magic 5 oz left in the bottle mark. Good enough. Cleaned up mess.

8. Now... Engine oil. Gotta be just like a car, right? Drain plug, gasket, oil filter, easy peasy... Well... The plug on a Yamaha is recessed inside this rubber boot like thing on the back of the motor. You can't see the plug. You can't tell what size it is because you can't see it. Going back to my days as a car guy, my brain starts working... Hmmm. Yamaha. Gotta be metric. 10mm? Nope. 13 mm? Nope. 14mm??? Ah ha!! Simple. Got in there with a swivel ratchet and a short extension, broke the plug loose. "This should be easy!" turn, turn, turn...

9. Wait. I should change the filter first. Removed cowl cover. Ahh, there it is. Easy. "GGNNHGH!!" NOT easy. Spend 10 minutes trying to remove filter. Actually rolling the boat in the process. Crap. Another 10 minutes finding oil filter wrench. Thank God I have a few of these still laying around. Nope. All the wrong size. I need another beer.

10. IDEA! Call wife. Beg her to stop at auto parts store on way home for small filter wrench. Explain that new motor costs $15,000 and that 9 degrees will ensure that $15,000 will go to boat in the spring instead of stuff she wants to buy. Wife agrees. Small victory. Wife says "have you been drinking??" Nope. Not me.

9. Then I got an idea. If I take a long funnel, and tuck it under this little rubber deal, I can drain the stuff through the funnel into the drain pan and not spill a drop. BRILLIANT!! So I'm turning the plug with one hand, holding the funnel with the other. turn turn turn, turn... Holy crap, how long is this stupid plug? Got it. *BLARRRGH!!!!!!* This is NOT like changing the oil on a car. I worked in an oil change shop for 4 years as a kid. I thought I knew what to expect. Nope. Even a large funnel cannot accommodate the volume of oil that spills out of a Yamaha in a matter of 5 seconds. I used to be able to do this stuff without even getting my hands dirty! Now I've got a 5' diameter oil slick in my garage! Made worse by the fact that we JUST paid the Amigos a LOT of money to scrub, soak, power wash, and mop the floor. ****. Samantha's gonna #*#* when she sees this! I need a beer. Knocked over beer #6 wiping up big ass mess.

10. Wife shows up. Sees giant oil slick. Surprisingly calm. Spent 15 minutes on hands and knees wiping up oil. Entire lower unit and prop dripping the whole time. Another 10 minutes to scrub floor with laundry detergent and rags. Use new filter wrench to remove filter. Clean up mess. Finished what was left of beer #6. Install new filter, fill oil. Good. Lower unit is done. Stabil is done. Oil Change is done. Mess is done.

11. Fog? Not fog? Owners manual says fog. Everyone else says not to. Wife comes out and says "Honey, don't forget we're supposed to have snow tonight. We might need the snow blower!"

12. Crap. Snow blower! Push boat to back of garage, move car and truck into garage. Unearth snow blower... Tires flat. Crap. Fill tires. Fill with gas. Snow blower runs! Thank God for electric start! Move wifes car into garage. Snowing now.. I need a beer....

So, long story short... Ran Sta-bil through the motor, changed the lower unit, changed the oil and filter, and plugged her in. Did not fog. Wife angry that I spend the whole day working on the boat leaving dishes, etc all over.

Is the boat going to be okay? ;)

Drive boat to shop. Detach boat from vehicle. Stop in shop to let guys know boat is here. Go to work. Answer phone when it rings. Shop guys have boat done. Drive to shop. Hook up boat. Go in and pay $100. Drive boat home.

I like my way better.
esoxaddict
Posted 11/20/2015 8:32 PM (#793419 - in reply to #793413)

Sea Foam. 7 beers.
Jeff78
Posted 11/20/2015 8:39 PM (#793420 - in reply to #793419)

You should of had 0723's carpenter do it. Chuck Norris with a hammer.

Seriously I do all of my maintenance myself,do it when the weather is nicer and take your time. Take an air compressor and blow out your livewell drains, pull the speedo tube off the back ofvthe speedo and blow that water out, pressure gauge too if you have one.
esoxaddict
Posted 11/20/2015 8:45 PM (#793421 - in reply to #793417)

Pointerpride102 - 11/20/2015 8:28 PM

esoxaddict - 11/20/2015 7:47 PM

Is the boat going to be okay? ;)

Drive boat to shop. Detach boat from vehicle. Stop in shop to let guys know boat is here. Go to work. Answer phone when it rings. Shop guys have boat done. Drive to shop. Hook up boat. Go in and pay $100. Drive boat home.

I like my way better.

That may be the way I go from now on, Mike. The thing that peees me off is it isn't rocket science. It's just an outboard. Simple stuff that applies equally to a car engine. Easy stuff that anybody with a brain and two good hands can get their head around. Maybe it's me... Pretty sure it IS me at this point, but I just don't trust that a bunch of yo-yo's at this or that shop are going to do a better job or take better care of my stuff than I would do myself. Seen it too many times. Lived it too many times.

Been in the position of being the guy who "knows better" and seen the kind of crap that goes on...

I am of the belief that I will be a better steward of my boat, car, truck, motors/etc. Than the guy who fixes them for a living, because I WAS that guy.
todd_yester
Posted 11/20/2015 9:14 PM (#793423 - in reply to #793413)

I feel you on the draining of the oil. I tried the funnel idea myself. Ended up just like yours did with oil everywhere but where it was supposed to. Now i use a 5 gallon bucket and just let it all go in there. May drop the bolt in it but just reach in and grab it later. Better then oil everywhere. I had a problem with my filter also. Drove a screwdriver thru it and spun it off.
Fishysam
Posted 11/20/2015 10:33 PM (#793436 - in reply to #793413)

Maybe a couple cans of sea foam for fuel tank size. Next time have the gear lube in the house or on the floor boards of your truck with the heat on high floor food a while. I just had the yoyo's do my brand new boat because I thought they could do it better than me, well I have gear lube on my fiber glass fenders! And I knew I put the transom saver where it was when I took delivery, salesman lectured me that was wrong spot, anyways picked it up in the dark and now there are two big nicks in the lower unit from delivery and then after there wintering job. Eff. Saddest thing to me having a 10 hour old motor is knowing that the only damage done is from the dealer. 250 pro xs ain't chump change. The yoyo's will make less money in time because of disappointments like this.
PSAGuy
Posted 11/20/2015 11:04 PM (#793439 - in reply to #793413)

Everything looks cool to me except #1.

I gave $95 to my boat storage guy today. He had his shop guy do it (like every year) while I went to the local "establishment" and had a beer (actually 2). They do a superb job and it starts first push of the button each year. Still less than a hundred bucks ! And they are right here in the metro about 2 miles from my house.

I understand the enjoyment of doing it yourself....really do......but not the part about spending MORE to do it. Oh well....glad ya got her done !

Edited by PSAGuy 11/20/2015 11:05 PM
Yooper Padre
Posted 11/21/2015 8:07 AM (#793447 - in reply to #793413)

Good job. Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor couldn't have done better.

Fr. K

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpeg (32KB - 384 downloads)
danlaboucane
Posted 11/21/2015 8:51 AM (#793455 - in reply to #793413)

i use an old microwave oven in the garage to heat thick oïl like gear lube to have it flow better !
ToddM
Posted 11/21/2015 8:52 AM (#793456 - in reply to #793413)

Or do like I do, don't winterize. I put marine staybil in my gas year round and I use my boats even in the winter.
tolle141
Posted 11/21/2015 11:14 AM (#793474 - in reply to #793456)

I run sea foam year round to avoid any potential water issues (it is a boat after all) and can winterize whenever I want. I change everything the minute I get back from my last trip of the year. Engine oil comes out quick and lower unit lube is a little more viscous than when it's 20F.

If you have any more oil on the floor, gasoline will take it right off.
muskyhunter63
Posted 11/21/2015 11:17 AM (#793475 - in reply to #793419)

esoxaddict - 11/20/2015 8:32 PM

Sea Foam. 7 beers.

Only 7 beers? You must have missed a step!
KGW
Posted 11/21/2015 6:11 PM (#793508 - in reply to #793413)

EA...to answer your question.

I too have a Yamaha 4 stroke (F150). I change the oil and lower unit gear lube, but have never fogged the engine. 7 years so far, stored indoors but not heated, Northern IL and mid WI winters---no trouble Starts like a champ each spring and runs smooth all year..

My opinion only...but I think you'll be OK. KGW...
esoxaddict
Posted 11/21/2015 6:27 PM (#793510 - in reply to #793413)

Well, the owners manual says to fog. But according to the folks at Sea Foam and several others who use the product, it provides enough of a coating where cylinder walls/etc will not rust. Popular belief is that fogging a 4 stroke EFI motor is not really necessary. I probably would have had I not run out of daylight, as I don't believe it would hurt anything. Might foul the plugs, but then those can be cleaned and/or changed. The good news is it's in the garage. We've got an electrician coming out next week to do some wiring. There is an ancient heater in there built into the wall, but I'm afraid to leave it unattended. If it checks out, I am going to have him wire in a thermostat to keep it at 40 degrees all winter.

Mark Hoerich
Posted 11/22/2015 7:58 AM (#793541 - in reply to #793510)

What kind of beer was it?
North of 8
Posted 11/22/2015 10:51 AM (#793565 - in reply to #793541)

When I bought a pontoon with a new 90hp 4stroke, I had the dealer winterize it, to make sure the warranty would be honored and also because I did not have access to a trailer at the time.

The place I bought it from is a large, well respected dealership. However, one year when they brought it back and put in my garage on special built dollies I bought, I noticed the motor was at quite an angle. I hooked the battery back up an lowered all the way. I had a big puddle of water drain out. Don't know if it would have caused a problem when freezing temps hit or not but it did make me realize that just because a dealer does it, does not mean it was all done right.
ghoti
Posted 11/22/2015 2:47 PM (#793601 - in reply to #793413)

If you are going to continue the DIY, purchase a hand pump for the lower unit oil. Makes the job less messy and a whole lot easier than squeezing it in. They are available at most stores that sell marine supplies and are under $10.
Pointerpride102
Posted 11/22/2015 3:02 PM (#793606 - in reply to #793601)

ghoti - 11/22/2015 2:47 PM

If you are going to continue the DIY, purchase a hand pump for the lower unit oil. Makes the job less messy and a whole lot easier than squeezing it in. They are available at most stores that sell marine supplies and are under $10.

I second this. Way easier. We use them on our work boats, since we do our own winterization on those.
brmusky
Posted 11/25/2015 8:12 AM (#793950 - in reply to #793413)

Batteries? Are you doing anything to protect the batteries and make sure they last?
esoxaddict
Posted 11/26/2015 10:20 PM (#794256 - in reply to #793950)

brmusky - 11/25/2015 8:12 AM

Batteries? Are you doing anything to protect the batteries and make sure they last?

Well, I still plan to clean the tops and terminals, add water if necessary, and keep her charged. Not sure if I should just leave the boat plugged in and be done with it, or just go out and plug it in over night every so often.

What do you guys do?

Also thinking of propping the compartments open. Have not decided whether to put the cover on or not. Thinking not - it IS in the garage after all.
mnmusky
Posted 11/27/2015 7:15 PM (#794384 - in reply to #794256)

I just finished season #9 (yes 9th) on my outboards original battery. this battery also runs my locator.
I charge it before it slumbers outside in brutal minnesota all winter. I dont disconnect anything. simply charge it and leave it until the first good thaw sometime in April then charge it again. then charge once more before putting in water. thats it.
Hope to see a tenth season on it and dont see why it wouldnt.
Slamr
Posted 12/2/2015 8:45 AM (#794829 - in reply to #793417)

"Is the boat going to be okay? ;)

I like my way better."

Agreed.

I actually CAN fix things and do 'stuff' with tools (contrary to popular belief) but I go to work so I can pay professionals to do this better than I do. And then when they screw it up, I will be back with a less than happy face on.
jonnysled
Posted 12/2/2015 8:57 AM (#794830 - in reply to #794829)

for me it's even easier, i just drive to the shop at top of the hill, unhook and go home. about a week later i receive an invoce, pay it and done like a dinner.
BNelson
Posted 12/2/2015 9:04 AM (#794831 - in reply to #794830)

I use to change my oil myself in the Suzuki... so the parts between the oil, the gear oil and the little pump thingy end up being like 130 bucks now...not sure why but suzuki oil is like 10 bux a quart now...use to be like 6 I swear... Dealer will do it all for $160 bux.... SOLD!
I like the drop off and pick up method as well.....

Edited by BNelson 12/2/2015 9:05 AM
cave run legend
Posted 12/2/2015 9:46 AM (#794842 - in reply to #794829)

Slamr - 12/2/2015 9:45 AM

"Is the boat going to be okay? ;)

I like my way better."

Agreed.

I actually CAN fix things and do 'stuff' with tools (contrary to popular belief) but I go to work so I can pay professionals to do this better than I do. And then when they screw it up, I will be back with a less than happy face on.

I would rather be fishing than taking my boat back to the dealer cause they screwed up.

Winterizing should take up less than 30 minutes of your time.

Edited by cave run legend 12/2/2015 10:19 AM
kjgmh
Posted 12/2/2015 9:53 AM (#794844 - in reply to #793413)

If you are winterizing a 4 stroke Yam this make it way easier and less messy. Tilt the motor up, remove drain plug(no oil comes out) thread in fitting, put hose in a container, tilt down, all oil ends up in container and no mess.

http://seewellinnovations.com/How_to_use_Tilt-N-Drain.html

esoxaddict
Posted 12/2/2015 11:02 AM (#794852 - in reply to #794844)

Thanks kjgmh! Now that I know how to do it, the next time should be easy, and take a lot less time than half an hour each way to the shop.
Bytor
Posted 12/2/2015 2:31 PM (#794877 - in reply to #793413)

I don't want to get to technical but you should get one of 'those little pumpy things' that Herr Nelson mentioned. It would greatly speed up your changing of the lower unit.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)