Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: T.R.: "Man, throw that wingie! Windle? Doodle? Whaddya call that thing?" ME: "Weagle." T.R.: "Weagle? Who names a bait Weagle?"
- (Added by: esoxaddict)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> thinking of trying my hand at making wood baits

Message Subject: thinking of trying my hand at making wood baits
jjmuskie
Posted 12/12/2015 3:05 PM (#796058)
Subject: thinking of trying my hand at making wood baits

For those of you who make your own baits once you have a shape that you like how do you repeat that consistently? I'm thinkin of tryin to make some top water baits. Looking at small wood lathes but don't understand how I would repeat the same shape over and over. Any tips?
mnmusky
Posted 12/12/2015 3:43 PM (#796062 - in reply to #796058)
Subject: Re: thinking of trying my hand at making wood baits

Its called a duplicator. mounts to your traditional wood lathe.
vega, general, jet make them. and many other brands.
Vega is probably the best of the bunch without buying a high-end duplicating lathe.

Edited by mnmusky 12/12/2015 3:59 PM
musky513
Posted 12/12/2015 7:51 PM (#796086 - in reply to #796058)

Without a duplicator you could/can probably get very close by eyeballing it if you're looking to make jackpot type baits or tail spinners like a top raider type bait. That's kind of the cool part of making baits, they will all be close to the same but a little different. True original one of a kind baits. I don't have a duplicator and have made a few tail spinners and wtd baits that have produced. I use a caliper to measure and can get very close to the same size/shape on each bait. The type of wood that you use will also make a difference in how the lures run. It's a fun and addictive hobby, and very gratifying when you catch a fish on one of your own baits!!!
Veithr3293
Posted 12/13/2015 6:49 AM (#796106 - in reply to #796058)

^ get a caliper so you can keep the diameter of the wood consistent. Find a drill attachment also so you can drill through wire holes and make your lures bullet proof i use elm for the lures i spin on the lathe <very tuff
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)