Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> November Tarpon Trip

Message Subject: November Tarpon Trip
detroithardcore
Posted 11/21/2015 7:43 AM (#793445)
Subject: November Tarpon Trip

Got back down for the 3rd time this year to fish Tarpon with SFP Fishing Outfitters. Again Captain Jon Sebold and Captain Todd Hadley didn't disappoint!! Things are still behind down there about 3 weeks or so. Fall just started to kick in when I got down there. So not a ton of fish around but some and they were willing to play. In 4 days I hooked 20 fish in the 110#-160# size range. The fish I landed were in the 110#-130# size and such a blast. The entire week was filled with lots of wind and fish were tough to see so we decided Fly Fishing wasn't an option and casted plugs for them. Boy did it pay off cause if you got the plug in front of the fish they usually ate with such violence. Even had several Tarpon pull a "Muskie" and eat literally ate my feet, boatside. Talk about terrifying and thrilling at the same time. When a 130-160# fish eats that close several things happen. First, it's no doubt you and the skiff are getting soaked. Second, it's very painful, bone jarring and bruises/sore muscles will happen. Third, before your brain is registering what just happened the fish has peeled off nearly 100 yards of line and its tail walking and leaping out of the water. Fourth, it will truly test your gear since a 6ft fish is on such a short leash and drags are fairly tight to get good hookset's. Last, it's the most amazing and coolest thing to witness when angling!!!! The high winds and muddy water kicked up made one of the most spookiest fish on the planet act more like a Muskie following plugs and eating boatside. I will say that all 20 fish were fought on the new Abu Beast and it held up well. It's was flawless and took some serious abuse in just 4 days of use! We blew up a Lexa and broke a few fish off but all in all it was another amazing trip! Captain Jon and Todd knew there weren't a lot of fish around but yet worked hard to find the few and it paid off. These guys never seem to disappoint and are always dialed in on the bite and location. I got some amazing footage of some fish and can't wait to edit it all. Another great time with SFP Fishing Outfitters and can't wait till my March Fly Trip down there!!
sledman5
Posted 11/21/2015 10:24 AM (#793470 - in reply to #793445)
Subject: Re: November Tarpon Trip

Hey Detroit, I thought tarpon "season" was more in the spring down in those parts, no? Is there a decent population of tarpon down there this time of year as I will be going down next fall and would be interested in hiring one of the guides you mentioned to target tarpon. Thanks
detroithardcore
Posted 11/21/2015 12:37 PM (#793484 - in reply to #793445)

The beauty about SW Florida is Tarpon are nearly around 9-10 months out of year. Everyone associates Tarpon fishing around spring. Yes, it's the huge migration come April-July but that is in the Salt. Starting October through March the Tarpon (lots and lots of big giant tarpon) move into the Everglades following Mullet and winter in there. I'm talking a ton of fish and fish reaching 170-200#! I've been down there many October through March and have been surrounded by Tarpon and not another boat around! This is something that you seriously need to hire SFP Fishing Outfitters to do. These guys have been doing it for 20++ years and know where these fish are. Plus it's not "just around the corner" type fishing. You'll take a long boat ride weaving in and around mangroves in the backcountry and fish areas you won't see anyone else. The only thing you'll see is a ton of Tarpon all to yourself. It's worth the trip! Trust me! I've been down there 4 times a year for the last 4 years and it's never been a bust trip! Plus it's super easy to travel there, stay and get back home. It's been worth every penny spent. I've caught them on plug, live bait, fly, sight casted, blind casted, etc...Some of the biggest Tarpon of season have come in the Fall. If I were you I'd email SFP Fishing Outfitters and talk to Jon Sebold. He'll give you all the details and let you know how to make it all work. Tell them Scott sent you. They are anazing guides and amazing guys! You'll feel right at home with them! I usually go down solo but grab a buddy, ante up and make it happen. You won't regret it! PM me if you need or want logistics.
PBenson
Posted 11/21/2015 9:10 PM (#793523 - in reply to #793445)

That's awesome. I love southwest Florida though I've never caught a tarpon. I fish for sharks from shore. Heading there in 3 weeks!
detroithardcore
Posted 11/22/2015 7:11 AM (#793539 - in reply to #793445)

Contact Captain Jon Sebold with SFP now if you wanna fish with them. They nearly guide every day and book up fast. They fish out of the Marco Island area and Everglades National Park. His email is: [email protected]. It's worth trying to book a few days if you can. Tarpon are very finicky fish and every little bit of weather can affect them. What you'll experience, see and hook is worth every penny. Captain Jon and Todd have become great friends of mine and they are a ton of fun to fish with.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)