Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Just a stupid fish!

Message Subject: Just a stupid fish!
Junkman
Posted 10/29/2015 10:55 AM (#790589)
Subject: Just a stupid fish!

Vacationing with family in Colorado last week, I found myself in a cabin beside a stream and a couple of hours with nothing special to do. I always carry a light four piece spinning rod that the St Croix folks crafted for me and a small spinning reel with 6 or 8 lb test floro. Now, please keep in mind the fly fisherman out there are masters of their craft and fashion. They have every piece of clothing and equipment, painstakingly hand ties flies, and half the national debt spent on being close to perfect. They are also pretty snooty! So, I take a twister tail, push it on to a small jig and guess what? I catch trout. Just a cheese head looking out of place, with as old fashioned a presentation you could put together...and it just works. My conclusion is that, "It's just a stupid fish!" When all else fails, it will eat a worm. I think we tend to over think a lot of this stuff. So, I hope some will take this as a thread to sort of make a little fun of the way we like to make sound a lot harder than it is. I sort of think that if you just tie an old Mepps Musky Killer on and NEVER take it off, you'll catch as many muskies as anybody. What do you think?
Musky952
Posted 10/29/2015 11:07 AM (#790592 - in reply to #790589)
Subject: Re: Just a stupid fish!

I would agree to a certain extent. This is with any type of fishing. I think guys go a little crazy over the name brand stuff or buy to many of one lure. It is less about the lure and more about the conditions you are fishing in. IMO
dfkiii
Posted 10/29/2015 11:07 AM (#790593 - in reply to #790589)

I catch a musky almost every spring on a jig and gulp minnow while crappie fishing. I don't know if they are as stupid as they are hungry but they certainly could choose something a bit more substantial to eat.
ToddM
Posted 10/29/2015 11:10 AM (#790595 - in reply to #790589)

Marty, my guess is your method is equivalent to some as trolling or using suckers for musky. They probably don't consider what you do sporting. I do suppose there are some that would present the grub without a hook then present the fly so they could say they caught it fly fishing.
Flambeauski
Posted 10/29/2015 11:15 AM (#790596 - in reply to #790589)

I think it's a little comical that a guy with $1000 rod and reel combos and a big Ranger boat is describing fly fisherman that way. Not that I disagree, mind you, just think it's funny.

miket55
Posted 10/29/2015 11:18 AM (#790598 - in reply to #790589)

Once heard an "ultra purist" advocate cutting the point off one's fly, since (in his elitist opinion) the whole concept of fly fishing was to entice a trout to strike the fly..

There's all kinds out there..
esoxaddict
Posted 10/29/2015 11:37 AM (#790601 - in reply to #790589)

The actual catching of the fish part is definitely less complicated than we make it out to be. When they're hungry, they'll eat anything that goes by. Where it gets complicated is finding the fish on a regular basis, getting a lure down to where they are, and getting them to eat it when they are not all that interested in eating.

All the gear and lures and colors and such? That's just part of the fun. The only thing that makes musky fishing more difficult than other types of fishing is their tendency to follow and be triggered boatside, and the simple fact that there are relatively few of them compared to numbers of walleye, pike, bass, etc. But yes, to your point: Yep. All fish are fish. Their job is to eat. Give them the chance, and they often will.

We raised the same fish 4 times a few summers back while SMB fishing with a 1/8 oz jig and a medium gulp leech. Probably a mid 40's fish. First musky I ever hooked was on a Rebel crawfish. Kids catch them with nightcrawlers. You could probably do well with one #5 Mepps, and catch a lot of other fun stuff in the process.

But that wouldn't be nearly as much fun as a box full of all sorts of shiny stuff.

Edited by esoxaddict 10/29/2015 11:44 AM
Kirby Budrow
Posted 10/29/2015 11:43 AM (#790602 - in reply to #790589)

Go to Vermilion and cast all fall and see if those stupid fish will bite
Jeremy
Posted 10/29/2015 12:24 PM (#790612 - in reply to #790589)
Subject: RE: Just a stupid fish!

Junkman - 10/29/2015 10:55 AM

Vacationing with family in Colorado last week, I found myself in a cabin beside a stream and a couple of hours with nothing special to do. I always carry a light four piece spinning rod that the St Croix folks crafted for me and a small spinning reel with 6 or 8 lb test floro. Now, please keep in mind the fly fisherman out there are masters of their craft and fashion. They have every piece of clothing and equipment, painstakingly hand ties flies, and half the national debt spent on being close to perfect. They are also pretty snooty! So, I take a twister tail, push it on to a small jig and guess what? I catch trout. Just a cheese head looking out of place, with as old fashioned a presentation you could put together...and it just works. My conclusion is that, "It's just a stupid fish!" When all else fails, it will eat a worm. I think we tend to over think a lot of this stuff. So, I hope some will take this as a thread to sort of make a little fun of the way we like to make sound a lot harder than it is. I sort of think that if you just tie an old Mepps Musky Killer on and NEVER take it off, you'll catch as many muskies as anybody. What do you think?

Marty, I could go on an' on about those fly guys, mostly 'cause I am one. Love those clean, cold moving streams where sometimes a trout will take a stupidly presented #14 (that's a big fly, guys...) foam hopper plopped in by the bankside etc.

The beauty and the (cough, cough) "art" of fly fishing for trout as opposed to warmwater fish where you just plop a bug/bait down and actually attracts a fish is handling that tiny fly on your cast and the actual presentation of it must be really, really delicate. Then you have to worry about "drag" 'cause if that flyline/tippet drags your fly you're done!

It's a delicate game and really cool. It can/will be/often is frustrating but also very rewarding. I could go on and on but I'm not going to. It's another life and one that has taken me beyond anything I ever expected in my typical fishing life. And then there's bamboo rods etc. It's a real slippery slope!!

But yeah, I also agree with you on the topic of your post. Funny, isn't it, how this stupid fish we chase hasn't had an orig. idea in a million years so we try everything. Then some guy comes along with a cigar, tosses it in the water and it gets hit.

And we keep coming back. God, I hope that never changes!

Jeremy - who got only one boatside topwater blast this summer on the "V", that got tossed back me and remained fishless the remainder of the da-mn-ed season.

I should stick to trout! :-)))))))))))))))
tolle141
Posted 10/29/2015 12:35 PM (#790615 - in reply to #790589)

Yeah, they'll eat twisters and corn on a $25 mitchell combo all day. It's more the romanticism and challenge of the fly. That was said above. We get it that you don't understand it, and there's nothing wrong with that.

There's also something insanely rewarding in catching them on a fly you tied.
Junkman
Posted 10/29/2015 2:43 PM (#790631 - in reply to #790589)

About "the big Ranger," it's not for the fish. You don't catch more fish with a Ranger. You get the girls. Sure you can look over the side of a more ordinary rig and wonder who the old, fat, bald guy is looking back at you. Or, blinded by the sparkle in the gel coat, look up to the lovely, leggy, ladies smiling and hoping for a ride in your sexy Ranger boat. You really didn't think I came for just the fishing..did you?
ToddM
Posted 10/29/2015 2:48 PM (#790633 - in reply to #790631)

Junkman - 10/29/2015 2:43 PM

About "the big Ranger," it's not for the fish. You don't catch more fish with a Ranger. You get the girls. Sure you can look over the side of a more ordinary rig and wonder who the old, fat, bald guy is looking back at you. Or, blinded by the sparkle in the gel coat, look up to the lovely, leggy, ladies smiling and hoping for a ride in your sexy Ranger boat. You really didn't think I came for just the fishing..did you?

"and that's why my wife made me sell it." Said Marty.:-)

Edited by ToddM 10/29/2015 2:49 PM
Flambeauski
Posted 10/29/2015 3:23 PM (#790639 - in reply to #790589)

I hear ya, Marty. My wife gets a little weak when I'm sporting my simms waders, tweed jacket and fedora and false casting my $1200 fly combo and puffing on my ivory pipe.
All for the chicks, man.
jonnysled
Posted 10/29/2015 3:27 PM (#790641 - in reply to #790589)

not unlike the Ruffed Grouse Society guys with their Setters and fancy guns ... the most important "hunt" for them is the annual silent auction banquet full robed in Filson wear. Setters are pussies ... but i do like the guns!!
sworrall
Posted 10/29/2015 4:38 PM (#790655 - in reply to #790631)

Junkman - 10/29/2015 2:43 PM

Retort of the year.

Zing.
dfkiii
Posted 10/29/2015 4:46 PM (#790656 - in reply to #790589)

Which boat is best for attracting "lovely, leggy ladies", Rangers or Tuffys ?
esoxaddict
Posted 10/29/2015 4:47 PM (#790657 - in reply to #790589)

I am lucky to be in the vicinity of a Gander, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Dick's, REI, and An Orvis outfitter. The crowds at the big box retailers aren't that much different, but when you go into the Orvis shop it's like a different world. Lots of X5's and Range Rovers in the parking lot, and a bunch of folks shopping there who look like they'd never set foot in the woods, much less wade through a stream.

Funny side story - Almost wound up with a free TE a while back. I was fishing at one of the local ponds, and happened on a guy attempting to pick out a nasty backlash. As I walked past him, I laughed and said "I hate when that happens!" A few minutes later I heard him swearing and carrying on about what a POS the reel was because it wouldn't cast right. Next thing I see the guy turn around and hurl the rod and reel into some thick grass and stomp off.

So I'm thinking to myself "#*#*. I didn't see what rod he had but that was a brand new TE. I hung around for a few minutes to see if he was coming back and to my disappointment he got halfway to his car and came back for it. As he walked away I noticed the attire. Khaki shorts, polo, loafers, orvis hat, Breitling watch...

Yep. There's a guy who would last about 20 minutes musky fishing... For a few minutes I thought I was going to have a really nice combo..

Not that there's anything wrong with having a lot of money. If I was made of the stuff, I'd probably have a lot of really expensive gear. Still don't think I'd be throwing the stuff in the bushes though...
malenurse
Posted 10/29/2015 6:44 PM (#790680 - in reply to #790641)

jonnysled - 10/29/2015 3:27 PM

not unlike the Ruffed Grouse Society guys with their Setters and fancy guns ... the most important "hunt" for them is the annual silent auction banquet full robed in Filson wear. Setters are pussies ... but i do like the guns!!
. This reminds me of earlier today. I was getting a new scope mounted at the gun shop. A guy came in to buy a box of .338 shells. Two older gentleman were teasing him about his need for such a big gun . But these were the same two men that had just got done showing off their beautiful side by side ( very expensive) shotguns to the store owner. I was thinking they could probably kill just as many birds with a Remington 870. I think for a lot of people the pursuit/technique is more important than the results.
gtp888
Posted 10/30/2015 6:33 AM (#790754 - in reply to #790589)

Same can be said of other sports as well, but I'll give an example for golf. If you go to the course looking to learn something, don't play with the guy that brings the big staff bag that tour pros use, has a new $700 driver (that he will hit a solid 175 and into the rough), the latest, greatest new set of $1,500 irons, a thousand dollar set of matched wedges, and a $400 putter. You won't learn a thing except how to play army golf (left right left right). Play with the guy with the ratty bag, has a set of forged irons with the sweet spot well worn, and knows how to play from 100 yards in. If you don't mind getting your ass kicked, this is the guy you'll learn from. The exception to this, of course, is if you get paired up with an actual tour pro. It's happened....
jonnysled
Posted 10/30/2015 7:26 AM (#790756 - in reply to #790754)

90% of golfers should take up another hobby ...
miket55
Posted 10/30/2015 9:27 AM (#790775 - in reply to #790756)

jonnysled - 10/30/2015 8:26 AM

90% of golfers should take up another hobby ...

Be careful what you wish for.
MuskyHopeful
Posted 10/31/2015 8:57 AM (#790860 - in reply to #790589)

My daughter has an $800 driver, $1,700 irons, and a $350 putter. Her bag was $100 and her ClicGear $200. Play her and she'll reduce you to tears.

Kevin
Flambeauski
Posted 10/31/2015 9:28 AM (#790866 - in reply to #790589)

Every time I play somebody with high end clubs I get schooled.
Same is typically true with fishing. Exceptions prove the rule.
MuskyHopeful
Posted 10/31/2015 9:32 AM (#790867 - in reply to #790866)

Flambeauski - 10/31/2015 9:28 AM

Every time I play somebody with high end clubs I get schooled.
Same is typically true with fishing. Exceptions prove the rule.

The example above mentions $1,500 irons and $700 drivers. You pay that much and it means you were custom fit. People that get custom fit can generally play a little bit.

Kevin
tkuntz
Posted 10/31/2015 10:26 AM (#790874 - in reply to #790589)

If you need a $60,000 boat to get attractive girls you seriously need to reexamine your life
ToddM
Posted 10/31/2015 10:28 AM (#790875 - in reply to #790589)

You can always increase your IPT AND the overall IPT capability of your boat!

Edited by ToddM 10/31/2015 11:41 AM
rodbender
Posted 10/31/2015 11:23 AM (#790884 - in reply to #790589)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmaM2i1r43A

This dude wins for oddest fly guy. If you've been downtown Mpls. I'm sure you have seen him.
wears only white suits in summer, black in winter. Love his fly shoes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)