Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Ontario Fishing License question

Message Subject: Ontario Fishing License question
T_Peterzen55
Posted 10/12/2015 1:32 PM (#788282)
Subject: Ontario Fishing License question

When purchasing an 8-day non-resident....can you purchase a conservation licence? Or must you purchase the Sport fishing?
Propster
Posted 10/12/2015 1:40 PM (#788283 - in reply to #788282)
Subject: Re: Ontario Fishing License question

We bought 8 day conservation licenses
willyboy
Posted 10/12/2015 8:58 PM (#788343 - in reply to #788283)

Depends if you are staying at a resort or camping
Propster
Posted 10/12/2015 9:54 PM (#788355 - in reply to #788282)

Huh?
Pointerpride102
Posted 10/12/2015 10:05 PM (#788357 - in reply to #788283)

Propster - 10/12/2015 1:40 PM

We bought 8 day conservation licenses

Yep. Buy online, simple.
Natureboy
Posted 10/13/2015 9:00 AM (#788385 - in reply to #788282)

I'm not positive, but the sport fishing one may have something to do with how many fish you can keep. We always just get the conservation license
10,000 Casts
Posted 10/13/2015 9:06 AM (#788386 - in reply to #788282)

Yes, you can purchase an 8-day non-resident conservation license online. That's what I used for my canada trip this year.

http://www.ontario.ca/page/fishing-licence-non-residents-canada
Propster
Posted 10/13/2015 9:33 AM (#788389 - in reply to #788282)

And it makes no difference if you are staying at a resort or camping
T_Peterzen55
Posted 10/13/2015 11:36 AM (#788409 - in reply to #788282)

Heard you can get fined and in trouble for muskie fishing with a conservation licence. If you handle and take a photo of a muskie it is therefore in "your possession". Makes me nervous
NickD
Posted 10/13/2015 11:41 AM (#788411 - in reply to #788409)

T_Peterzen55 - 10/13/2015 11:36 AM
Heard you can get fined and in trouble for muskie fishing with a conservation licence. If you handle and take a photo of a muskie it is therefore in "your possession". Makes me nervous

I think there was a discussion about this on here a few years ago. Ontario regs do state that photographing is part of possession. Like most discussions on a grey area the one on here was pretty circular and no concrete answer was given from what I remember.

If I'm feeling cheap I'll get the conservation license if not I get the regular. I have never been checked fishing a very popular waterway in 10 years.... If it causes you any heartburn just spend the extra 20 or whatever it is on the regular.
wall i
Posted 10/14/2015 7:34 AM (#788484 - in reply to #788409)

T_Peterzen55 - 10/13/2015 11:36 AM

That doesnt make sense...under either license you are not allowed to posses a musky less than 54" in most waters. So, taking a pic of any musky under either license would technically be a violation if pics were enforced as possession. No CO would ever fine you for taking a pic unless your pic happened to show you clubbin the thing.
Having lived/fished in Canada for over 50 years, I assure you that either license is fine. The difference is only possession limits not what species you can fish for.

Edited by wall i 10/14/2015 7:58 AM
jaultman
Posted 10/14/2015 8:04 AM (#788488 - in reply to #788484)

wall i - 10/14/2015 7:34 AM
That doesnt make sense...under either license you are not allowed to posses a musky less than 54" in most waters. So, taking a pic of any musky under either license would technically be a violation if pics were enforced as possession.

Great point! That should ease any concerns. Or at least make you equally afraid with either license.
Propster
Posted 10/14/2015 8:45 AM (#788494 - in reply to #788282)

Or you can just plan to catch only fish over 54"
I wouldn't worry about it, buy the conservation
JLowry15
Posted 10/14/2015 9:52 AM (#788502 - in reply to #788494)

We have bought the 8 day conservation licenses every time for trips to LOTW/Eagle lake and have never had a problem
ESOX Maniac
Posted 10/15/2015 7:11 AM (#788614 - in reply to #788494)

Be very careful in selecting your license. For example: The Conservation License limit for Zone 4 in NW Ontario for Muskies is zero (0). Same for Zone 5 (LOTW)This is from the Ontario 2015 Regs.

"Muskellunge 3rd Sat. in June
to Dec. 15
S - 1; must be greater than 102 cm
(40 in.)
C - 0"

"Immediate Release of Fish – All fish that are caught unlawfully or
are illegal to possess (e.g., during the closed season, of prohibited
size, or are in excess of the catch and possession limits) must be
immediately released at the place and time of capture. This includes
fish that may be injured during catch. This rule does not apply to
invasive species like goby which must be immediately released or
destroyed (see General Prohibitions)."

If you handle a muskie excessively or even photograph it, you can be arrested. The key to photography is up to the Conservation Officer's interpretation of Immediate Release of Fish and the term "immediate".

"Immediate Release of Fish – All fish that are caught unlawfully or
are illegal to possess (e.g., during the closed season, of prohibited
size, or are in excess of the catch and possession limits) must be
immediately released at the place and time of capture. This includes
fish that may be injured during catch. This rule does not apply to
invasive species like goby which must be immediately released or
destroyed (see General Prohibitions)."

Read this very carefully.

"Conservation Officers – Conservation officers enforce fisheries
regulations in the Province of Ontario. They have powers of inspection,
arrest, search and seizure under the various statutes they enforce,
including the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act and the Fisheries Act.
When carrying out their duties, conservation officers may:
• Stop and inspect a vehicle, boat or aircraft
• Ask questions relevant to the inspection
• Inspect buildings or other places
• Require assistance to complete inspections
• Enter onto private property to perform their duties
• Search with a warrant
• Search without a warrant in circumstances requiring immediate action
• Seize items related to an offence
• Arrest anyone they believe has committed, is committing, or is about
to commit an offence."

Inspecting your boat, includes searching it. They do ask if they can inspect your boat. I've been checked twice in last 5 years. But if you say no, they can search it without a warrant. Having alcohol or prohibited non-presription drugs in your will land you in Jail. Read the last bullet very carefully.

There are also many exceptions to the general size limits, so check for the specific waters or lakes you will be fishing. In 2012 on Cedar Lake they went through the entire boat including every tackle box, compartment. etc. The only thing they didn't do was a proctology exam. It took them ~45 minutes.

In fact, it is a very good idea to download and read the entire fishing regs summary and the specific regulations for where you are fishing before you even leave home.

This is the 2015 Ontario Fishing Regs Summary.

https://dr6j45jk9xcmk.cloudfront.net/documents/4642/mnr-fishing-eng-...

Generally speaking there are few changes year to year. But those could bite you too, so review the 2016 regulations once they are published. Understand the differences between the licenses and what your personal goals are for muskies. If you have no plans to keep the fish of a lifetime or a WR class fish, by all means the Conservation License is cheaper. Just be careful how you handle & photograph them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorantia_juris_non_excusat

Have fun!
Al

Top H2O
Posted 10/15/2015 11:22 AM (#788659 - in reply to #788282)
Subject: RE: Ontario Fishing License question

Tim,
This might sound really dumb,...but...Why would you leave V at this time of yr to go to Canada to chase Muskies ?
I don't know you personally, but I know you are "dialed in" to the bite here....and this is the time of the season to boat a true Giant.
Just Thinking.

Jerome
willyboy
Posted 10/15/2015 2:12 PM (#788701 - in reply to #788282)

I am almost certian that when they switched to the new license that you couldn't buy a sports license unless you stayed at a resort. Another way for them to get mlre people staying at resorts and not staying in the bush on crown land. Kinda line the camping permits
Captain
Posted 10/15/2015 2:59 PM (#788708 - in reply to #788701)

willyboy - 10/15/2015 2:12 PM

I am almost certian that when they switched to the new license that you couldn't buy a sports license unless you stayed at a resort. Another way for them to get mlre people staying at resorts and not staying in the bush on crown land. Kinda line the camping permits
Ive camped on Crown Land for the last 3 years and purchased either a Sport or Conservation license so it didn't limit me from getting a Sport.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 10/16/2015 7:49 AM (#788795 - in reply to #788701)

willyboy - 10/15/2015 2:12 PM

This is false. You can buy whichever license you prefer.

Taking photos of smaller fish is technically a violation but a gray area. I have never come across a CO that has confirmed writing up a ticket for someone that took a photo of an sub-legal muskie (or pike now that trophy class fish are protected) and I have directed asked this question to multiple COs over the years.

Handle the fish with care and you will not have issues with any conservation officers.

Buying a conservation license is music to a resort operator's ears. You are declaring you have no intention whatsoever of killing a big muskie. I like that plan. A lot!!
willyboy
Posted 10/16/2015 9:25 AM (#788808 - in reply to #788795)

It was always that way? Man i got dupped!
muskie! nut
Posted 10/16/2015 2:16 PM (#788845 - in reply to #788795)

MyliesPlace(Justin) - 10/16/2015 7:49 AM

Buying a conservation license is music to a resort operator's ears.

You have ears, Justin??? Never seen them you've got too long of hair for a blind man to notice.

esoxaddict
Posted 10/16/2015 5:27 PM (#788881 - in reply to #788282)

I do not know one person who has ever been cited for holding up a musky for a picture, conservation license or not.

Pointerpride102
Posted 10/16/2015 6:44 PM (#788887 - in reply to #788881)

I'm amazed at how complicated a task this is for some.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/16/2015 7:04 PM (#788890 - in reply to #788282)

We've been stopped once in Canada. The CO asked for our outdoors card/license, looked them over, and said "So, you guys are fishing for muskies?" "Yep." "You guys get any today?" I said "Yeah, we got a 37 and a 4 footer..." "4 footer, eh? You get a picture?" So we gave him the camera and his exact words were "Wow. Nice fish, Nice and fat! Congratulations!" and he sent us on our way. Now... Technically speaking we were in violation of the possession law as it reads. I suppose we could have been cited. But it was just like all my other interactions with CO's, wardens, police officers, border patrol, etc. As long as you are nice to them and answer their questions and do what they say, they don't want to ruin your day.
Aceboogie
Posted 10/18/2015 7:58 PM (#789159 - in reply to #788282)

I both live and muskie fish in ontario. Regardless of what licence you have you can fish for muskie. That being said there are not a lot of muskie lakes in relation to the number of lakes located here. There for conservation of the muskie popultion is very important and strongly advised. Keeping any muskie up here is frowned upon. Please practice catch and release!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)