Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Trying to decide on a st croix legend

Message Subject: Trying to decide on a st croix legend
MadAppleHookers
Posted 12/2/2015 2:25 PM (#794875)
Subject: Trying to decide on a st croix legend

Looking at getting a st croix legend tournament. I throw alot of jerk and glide baits. Not many bucktails or cranks. Looking at the big dawg, big nasty, or the jerk. I throw a mojo 7'6" now for my jerk and gliders but I am leaning toward going longer. Any input would be helpful. Thanks
5th lake Brad
Posted 12/2/2015 2:38 PM (#794878 - in reply to #794875)
Subject: RE: Trying to decide on a st croix legend

In my opinion the big dawg is one of the most versatile rods mentioned.
Will Schultz
Posted 12/2/2015 2:40 PM (#794880 - in reply to #794878)
Subject: RE: Trying to decide on a st croix legend

5th lake Brad - 12/2/2015 3:38 PM In my opinion the big dawg is one of the most versatile rods mentioned.

Agreed

BNelson
Posted 12/2/2015 3:43 PM (#794882 - in reply to #794880)
Subject: Re: Trying to decide on a st croix legend

I had a big dawg and didn't like it...way too stiff for my taste..imo the big nasty is about as versatile as it gets..but friends have the top n tail 8 footer for gliders/jerks and they really like that rod too
cave run legend
Posted 12/2/2015 3:56 PM (#794883 - in reply to #794882)

The size of the gliders will make a difference in your decision as well.
MadAppleHookers
Posted 12/2/2015 6:33 PM (#794911 - in reply to #794875)

Run all different size from 6-10 inch gliders. Worried the big nasty might be to light on the tip. Throw alot of 9 and 10 inch suick also. Not a big rubber guy.
3stripe
Posted 12/2/2015 6:52 PM (#794914 - in reply to #794911)

I use the 7'6" LT (the jerk). Throw a TON of glides and went back to the 7'6" after using an 8' for a season. I like the responsiveness of the tip - I feel I can really control the action and impart as much or as little erratic action as I want. I felt I lost that "feel" with the longer rod

Facebook.com/3stripecustoms
chadw18
Posted 12/2/2015 11:13 PM (#794959 - in reply to #794914)

I use the big nasty for larger jerk and gliders and it works well. But for smaller stuff(by smaller stuff I mean 4 inch phantoms up to 10 inch modivators) the jerk is my favorite. I ended up using jerks and gliders majority of the year because of the rod!

There really isn't a wrong choice.

Lundbob
Posted 12/3/2015 9:01 AM (#794991 - in reply to #794875)

I got a Long Ranger since i usually throw 8's, topwaters and smaller rubber baits now....my shoulders and arms just can't do 10's anymore for very long. But i found the Long Ranger was just too soft...it's a heavy bass rod as far as i'm concerned. Then i got a Big Dawg and it's the best rod i've ever used. I throw everything with it. Takes the pressure off the shoulders and casts even the lighter stuff just fine.
BNelson
Posted 12/3/2015 9:16 AM (#794996 - in reply to #794991)

sorta surprised to see how many like the Big Dawg for gliders and jerks... I like a rod with more give in the tip for those baits... to me the big dawg is best suited for BIG plastics... I still use an 8' All Star Western Inshore from the late 90s for my gliders..
Will Schultz
Posted 12/3/2015 9:36 AM (#795006 - in reply to #794875)

Probably need to narrow it down a little since there's no right rod for "gliders". When I think gliders I think heavy stuff like Wabulls, Giant Squirkos, etc. baits that are 6-11 oz. Your choice will depend on what you use most because if you're throwing gliders like hellhounds and phantoms (under 5oz baits) the big dawg isn't going to be the best. If you only occasionally throw bigger heavier gliders but still want a rod that will handle them the Sling Blade might be the best choice. The TopNTail and the Long Ranger are OK for the lighter stuff like a hell puppy, 6" phantom, etc. but you probably wouldn't like it with anything larger. If you were closer I would be happy to meet you somewhere and let you try them all, I have two of every 8'6" - 9' LT rod.
Ronix
Posted 12/3/2015 9:42 AM (#795008 - in reply to #794996)

BNelson - 12/3/2015 10:16 AM

sorta surprised to see how many like the Big Dawg for gliders and jerks... I like a rod with more give in the tip for those baits... to me the big dawg is best suited for BIG plastics... I still use an 8' All Star Western Inshore from the late 90s for my gliders.. ;)

Agreed, I found myself losing a lot of fish using larger wooden jerkbaits on a faster tipped XH rod similar to the big dawg. I use the big nasty for jerkbaits - as well as practically everything else - and have much better hook ups. However I will use an 8'6xh for smaller-width jerkbaits like 7.5" phantoms or suicks where hook contact % is greater.
5th lake Brad
Posted 12/3/2015 9:44 AM (#795009 - in reply to #795006)

Will Schultz - 12/3/2015 9:36 AM

Probably need to narrow it down a little since there's no right rod for "gliders". When I think gliders I think heavy stuff like Wabulls, Giant Squirkos, etc. baits that are 6-11 oz. Your choice will depend on what you use most because if you're throwing gliders like hellhounds and phantoms (under 5oz baits) the big dawg isn't going to be the best. If you only occasionally throw bigger heavier gliders but still want a rod that will handle them the Sling Blade might be the best choice. The TopNTail and the Long Ranger are OK for the lighter stuff like a hell puppy, 6" phantom, etc. but you probably wouldn't like it with anything larger. If you were closer I would be happy to meet you somewhere and let you try them all, I have two of every 8'6" - 9' LT rod.

I agree, of the three rods original post had I thought the big dawg would best suit. I use a predator H -2" for smaller gliders, and the big dawg for really big ones like 12" phantoms and 10" hellhounds. I feel the 7'6" jerk rod to be too short and stiff in the tip.
sworrall
Posted 12/3/2015 9:59 AM (#795014 - in reply to #794875)

What 5th said.
Zinox
Posted 12/3/2015 10:48 AM (#795017 - in reply to #794875)

I have both the jerk and big dawg, and prefer the big dawg for 10" suicks 10" phantom, and cranks.
if i know i'm going to fish a lot of gliders in the 6-8" phantom size, i bring The jerk.

as you already have a 7'6" rod, i would go with the BD :D
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)