Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> LOTW: Sabaskong & Area - Oct '15

Message Subject: LOTW: Sabaskong & Area - Oct '15
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 10/13/2015 2:10 PM (#788426)
Subject: LOTW: Sabaskong & Area - Oct '15

With warm temps to start October, the fall bite hasn't been on quite yet. Surface temps were still 55 in the Morson area after the near 80 degrees on Sunday, but will start to come down now with fall weather in effect for the first time this month.

Trollers have been seeing some bait fish and landing a fish or two while having a hard time keeping pike off their baits.

A few casters earlier in the month and over the weekend managed some action on crankbaits and shallow rocks being the ticket. More than a couple muskies being caught by walleye anglers jigging near humps and current.

Action and conditions will only get better as we move forward.

Good luck on the water. Be safe out there. There are a lot fewer boats to try and flag down if you have trouble. Run your kickers every morning when you head down to get the boat ready for the day. It may be your most important piece of equipment at any point during your time out there in cold weather.

Cheers.

J-Man
FishinFreaks
Posted 10/13/2015 4:49 PM (#788436 - in reply to #788426)
Subject: RE: LOTW: Sabaskong & Area - Oct '15

Maybe they'll start this week. Otherwise walleyes and crappies for us. See you tomorrow, Justin.
Mudpuppy
Posted 10/14/2015 4:56 PM (#788568 - in reply to #788436)

Hey Justin, September was so warm , but the fishing was pretty good to the end of the month. Seems like November could be good all the way. remember when we shut down early November due to ice and bitter cold?

Mudpuppy
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 10/15/2015 12:13 PM (#788672 - in reply to #788426)
Subject: Re: LOTW: Sabaskong & Area - Oct '15

Hoping for an extended "season" for me since I'm missing about 5 days of early fishing this year before I can get started. The first 50" of the fall was landed on Tuesday! She was a super fattie too. The feedbag is already on....get your baits in the water and keep them there.
moleman
Posted 10/15/2015 8:24 PM (#788764 - in reply to #788426)

Justin you hit it right on the head. Fishing was tough for us. Fished 10 days & boated 12 fish. Best was a 44 incher. Our walleye friends got 7 muskies with jigs, go figure.
The lake had more algae in it than I have ever seen. Do you think this affects the fishing? It seemed when we found clear water the bite was better. One comment was made that when the lake turns over the algae goes away. What's
your thoughts?
Thanks
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 10/16/2015 7:39 AM (#788793 - in reply to #788764)

Algae will start to dissipate as the water cools down. My personal opinion is that it really doesn't affect the fishing too much, especially trolling. Algae will be the worst on the surface, especially on calm days or light winds when it isn't blowing around or moving with wind aided current. It will not be thick all the way to the bottom.

People have a tendency to search for cleaning water, especially casting, and that will bring more fish caught in cleaner water because people are fishing cleaner water. It is similar to the "more fish are caught between 10am and 2pm than any other time frame". When 5 to 10 times more people are out there during the daytime, more fish will be caught.

Walleye anglers are generally fishing deeper and if muskies are snapping on their presentations, I feel like that reinforces my position that green water doesn't bother fish.

When casting into thick bloom, it can certainly be tougher for a fish to hone in on a bait, but when you have productive spots in a milk-run...fish will still be there. Group your casts tighter so you cover the spot better if fish can't see/feel/hear your bait from as far as they might normally and you can still catch fish in bloom.

My only caveat to that is weedy areas with thick bloom. I've never caught/seen anything in those areas...but I have little patience for pulling weeds off my lures anyway. With bloom and weeds...I am pretty quick to pull the pin and move along. That might be more the issues than fish not being there.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)