Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fly fishing the basin

Message Subject: Fly fishing the basin
Flambeauski
Posted 9/23/2015 4:22 PM (#785728 - in reply to #785725)
Subject: Re: Fly fishing the basin

ToddM - 9/23/2015 4:01 PM

What is the best flyrod for throwing pounders?

You'll need a 12 weight and a Physics degree.
Jeremy
Posted 9/23/2015 5:58 PM (#785742 - in reply to #785728)

Flambeauski - 9/23/2015 4:22 PM

ToddM - 9/23/2015 4:01 PM

What is the best flyrod for throwing pounders?

You'll need a 12 weight and a Physics degree.

LOL!! Recommend going barbless. It makes it easier to dig the hooks out'a your arse....
Flambeauski
Posted 9/23/2015 7:26 PM (#785753 - in reply to #784516)

Too late on the barbless recommendation for Todd.

I imagine a pounder in the back would feel like a shotgun blast compared to a big bead head, which feels more like getting shot with high powered air rifle.
ToddM
Posted 9/23/2015 8:49 PM (#785769 - in reply to #784516)

So many questions, can you get a fly reel with a line counter and bait clicker? Thinking about a sucker/trolling setup.
ulbian
Posted 9/24/2015 2:26 PM (#785878 - in reply to #785724)

Flambeauski - 9/23/2015 4:55 PM

ulbian - 9/18/2015 9:11 AM

Another random idea on this is to deadstick a fly that sits horizontal. There have been discussions about deadsticking heavy rubber baits. Having a 10 inch fly hanging on a rod as a boat bobs up and down is intriguing. The colors and movement opens up more dynamic options than a chunk of rubber.

Can you explain why casting skill (or even a fly rod) is required to present a fly in the manner listed above? Other than a desire to hook and play a muskie on a fly rod?
Would one not be able to do this with gear?

It's not required in this presentation. You are combining a discussion within this discussion. My most recent response was directly solely at the comment about casting the line to deliver the fly instead of casting the fly to deliver the fly. In the stuff that I wrote which you quoted I did not address the mechanics of casting whatsoever..It was solely about deadsticking a fly. The casting of line vs. fly stuff entered in later. Same thread, two different discussions, multiple different thoughts. Had I brought up the physics/mechanics of casting a fly in the section of mine you quoted above then your question would have merit...since there was no mention of this your question is a bit of an anachronism.
fishfirst92
Posted 9/24/2015 3:06 PM (#785886 - in reply to #784516)

If you're gonna fly fish open water get ready to cast. A lot. Your arm is gonna get tired and you're gonna get frustrated. Targeting deeper fish with a fly takes a lot more patience then throwing a pounder at them and waiting 5 seconds until its in the strike zone as compared to trying to keep a fly in the strike zone. Wind is also a very large factor when fishing open water especially in the fall. So again be prepared to cast. A lot of people don't even begin to realize the amount of time and effort it takes to chase these fish on the fly. Not including the time it takes to tie your own flies also....whatever you do best of luck to you.
jb10
Posted 10/19/2015 12:56 PM (#789245 - in reply to #784516)
Subject: RE: Fly fishing the basin

I fish open water on St. Clair a lot. And like you said the max depth is usually maybe 23'. But I do fish some inland lakes and have caught musky on flies in 40' of water. I generally fish the same way. Most of my strikes are probably in top 15' of water column. Key for us is to find suspended bait. In 40' of water I have gotten fish just a couple feet under the surface using a two handed retrieve. The fish will come up for it even when the bait is 20 feet down. Trying to get your fly any deeper than say 10-15 just isn't going to happen. And if you let your line sink for a long period of time to get down deep you won't be down in that depth range very long. I mostly use a 450 grain line and will let it sink for a few seconds before starting my retrieve. Go give it a try. Fishing deep open water with flies can be very successful. Best of luck!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)