Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Cedar Lake Ontario

Message Subject: Cedar Lake Ontario
mahnkal
Posted 7/1/2015 2:16 PM (#774628)
Subject: Cedar Lake Ontario

Ill be headed up to cedar lake in a little under a month, and I was wondering if there is a iPilot Link lake master card for the lake? I could not find anything on H birds website.

Thanks!
swanezy
Posted 7/2/2015 7:23 AM (#774689 - in reply to #774628)
Subject: Re: Cedar Lake Ontario

I'm not sure about the lake link chip but honestly you don't need one if you are using it for navigation. The lake is easy to navigate and there are not many hazards at all..

Unless u are using it for marking spots etc.. I just returned from there. In a month a lot of cabbage bays will be pretty thick. Fish should be on rocks and weeds. good luck
mahnkal
Posted 7/2/2015 8:57 AM (#774696 - in reply to #774689)

I would be using it to do the "follow the contour" feature on my new iPilot link. other than that I'm not to concerned with navigating the lake. How was the trip? where did you stay?
swanezy
Posted 7/2/2015 10:58 AM (#774718 - in reply to #774628)

We stay at northern lights resort. We have been for the last 5 years. I fished with my dad who doesn't really musky fish but he was able to catch plenty of walleyes in the weedy bays casting cranks the whole time. Along with wayyy too many like and smallies.

The amount of pike this year was unusual. I ripped entire jaws off of small pike hitting topwater or suicks. What a pity. I caught 10 muskies myself. 7 over 33, and I lost a big fish on topwater. 3 of the days the fish shut down from all the rain but when it wasn't raining it was pretty good. Only issue for opener was the boat traffic. I'll prob never go back at that time again because of it.

I'm sure a lot is from the musky hunter show giving the lake press but Bob m has taped there for a long time and it was never that bad.

Cabbage should be full growth by the time u get there. Fish were moving onto rocks in some areas because the water warmed to mid 70s by the end of the week. One bay was so clear I was standing on the casting deck looking at 8 diff fish in the cabbage. 2 were giants and the rest were all 35- upper 40s fish. And that was just one part of a big bay. Only got the big ones to move on topwater but it was so clear they got spooked by the boat. Tried jigging everything. One morning was crazy for a couple novice guys just using mepps #5 and they caught 15 I'm a few hours. I unfortunately went to another bay and they were slow.

Hope the trip goes well they should be on
ESOX Maniac
Posted 7/6/2015 8:54 AM (#775020 - in reply to #774718)

We were on Cliff the 21-28th, but dropped into Cedar for one day (Wed), fish were just hanging out in patchy cabbage in bays and very boat shy - late July should have them on the deep weed edges & rock edges. There is one hazard that is not marked, I found it the hard way in July 2012 - Here it is, you might want to fish it t0o, it was a good guy getting my Skeeter off of it....and I had a push pole!

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=50.205186&lon=-93.173839&z=17.5&r=0&...

See that white spot to the south west - thats a boat on plane. The hazard is where the + mark is, put the coords in your GPS.

Have fun!
Al
mahnkal
Posted 7/6/2015 11:52 AM (#775045 - in reply to #774628)

Thanks for the input guys! ill make sure to stay clear of that hazard. do you know if there is anywhere on cedar you can get live bait? me and my buddy are trying to decide wether to bring crawlers or get minnows up there (if possible)
Muskie Bob
Posted 7/6/2015 3:01 PM (#775069 - in reply to #774628)

If you plan on taking crawlers with you, you probably should be checking regulations or searching what others say about taking them to Canada.
As for minnows, Northern Lights Resort (south end of West Cedar) would be best for live bait.

As for travel routes, etc., check with your resort or lodge. Most will have small maps and can show you routes to take.
Usually most of the shallow spots are marked with jugs. Of course, lake level can make a difference too.
Simple Man
Posted 7/6/2015 9:45 PM (#775137 - in reply to #774628)

You can get live bait at Northern Lights. No need for Ipilot...just follow the lead of the 100 musky boats that will be out in front of you on that lake nowadays.
big gun
Posted 7/7/2015 7:49 AM (#775170 - in reply to #774628)

If you stay at Northern Lights, they give you free minnows during your stay. Caught several nice Walleyes last year and got 10 muskies for the week, even though we had a bad cold front move through. BG
mahnkal
Posted 7/7/2015 10:45 AM (#775204 - in reply to #774628)

would you guys recommend using minnows or night crawlers on cedar? me and my friend are kinda butting heads on what to use.

swanezy
Posted 7/7/2015 1:38 PM (#775232 - in reply to #774628)

The walleyes eat both out there. If you troll use crawlers if u just sit and jig use minnows.
Nupe
Posted 10/21/2015 10:49 AM (#789573 - in reply to #775137)

Simple Man - 7/6/2015 9:45 PM

You can get live bait at Northern Lights. No need for Ipilot...just follow the lead of the 100 musky boats that will be out in front of you on that lake nowadays.

No kidding! Nothing like driving 800 miles only to have a plethora of other boats there now too....special thanks to the filming in recent years that has taken place there. The resulting pressure sucks and is a shame. If you like Wal-Mart's parking lot on Sunday after church, then you'll surely enjoy the bumper boats at Cedar as well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)