Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> First Fall Trip

Message Subject: First Fall Trip
Leck9
Posted 9/3/2015 9:20 AM (#782971)
Subject: First Fall Trip

Im going for my first fall musky trip at the end of september and i am looking for some general advise (structure, baits, depth, etc.). I'm heading to Minaki which I am very familiar with however only have fished throughout the summer. Any information would be great!
NickD
Posted 9/3/2015 9:53 AM (#782979 - in reply to #782971)
Subject: Re: First Fall Trip

I would be focused on the river sections more than the lakes and the green and red cans would be #1 on the list. For baits weighted big daddys and rubber and I wouldn't forget about big doubles with enough weight to get them coming in fairly deep. Maybe some other deep diving cranks too for bouncing off those deeper extensions.

Not sure if the fish will still move shallow that time of year or not? Plus all those open water big sand fish have to hit the banks at some point? Maybe that is later?

Fall fishing is usually long stretches of no action followed by short intense windows. Windows are even more important than in the summer.
scotty348
Posted 9/3/2015 9:54 AM (#782980 - in reply to #782971)
Subject: RE: First Fall Trip

I will be fishing out of Minaki the 12th through the 19th. I have never fished the Winnipeg River System this late in the year. We usually go in mid July or early August. I will let you know how we do.
Leck9
Posted 9/3/2015 11:43 AM (#782999 - in reply to #782971)

Thanks Scotty I appreciate it. As for getting large doubles down with weight, is their a proper way to add weight to them? or should I go out and buy a couple heavier ones.
As for fishing the river system would you say focus a lot in the rough rock? Ive read that fishing weed beds can be great but to avoid dead cabbage as they don't produce enough oxygen?
NickD
Posted 9/3/2015 1:00 PM (#783012 - in reply to #782971)

Just pick some of the big doubles that are weighted more heavily and use the thicker blades. They tend to run deeper. I make all my own but I'm sure builders can get you what you need. Or re-shaft a few of the ones you have with a bigger egg sinker.

If I ever go on a fall trip there I wouldn't fish more than 4 miles north or south of the bridge. Unless I got tired of seeing all the cabins...... I've never fished anywhere where the weeds should be completely ignored if they are still standing. Overall I think cabbage growth is down the last few years. More junk weeds than ever and in places the tobbaco cabbage patches are stronger though.
dtaijo174
Posted 9/3/2015 1:50 PM (#783025 - in reply to #782999)

Leck9 - 9/3/2015 11:43 AM

As for getting large doubles down with weight, is their a proper way to add weight to them? or should I go out and buy a couple heavier ones.

You can split ring bell sinkers or a cleaner way is to remove the rubber from a rubber core sinker and crimp it to the wire.
Stein
Posted 9/4/2015 4:34 PM (#783230 - in reply to #782980)
Subject: RE: First Fall Trip

scotty348 - 9/3/2015 9:54 AM I will be fishing out of Minaki the 12th through the 19th. I have never fished the Winnipeg River System this late in the year. We usually go in mid July or early August. I will let you know how we do.

You will be happy with that week.  We will be there the 9th - 19th.  Been going the same time period for the last 20 years.  We have thrown in a few June and July trips but mid-September tends to be our best time there.

southern comfort
Posted 9/5/2015 8:17 AM (#783291 - in reply to #782971)

I have had a lot of succes using weighted leaders from stealth tackle.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)