Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Soft plastics and big rubber bait storage

Message Subject: Soft plastics and big rubber bait storage
bpswing
Posted 11/21/2015 9:51 AM (#793465)
Subject: Soft plastics and big rubber bait storage

This has been a maddening topic for me. I have tried several different storage methods and just can not find something that works. The problem is the colors run on some of these baits and they are just too expensive not to separate. I have tried big plastic bags but the hooks stick, plano open 3730 boxes but they dont hold many bulldawgs or tubes unless you have several of them and then boat space becomes a problem. I am leaning on just sticking them in a 5 gallon pail hanging on the side but even then the colors can touch. I might also try putting gutter pieces in the bucket which would seem to work but only about 8 pieces will fit in a bucket. I am interested in seeing what others use for storing big rubber baits. Thanks much. BP
Jeff78
Posted 11/21/2015 10:31 AM (#793471 - in reply to #793465)
Subject: Re: Soft plastics and big rubber bait storage

I store mine in a deep plano, I can fit eight mag dawgs. Absolutely no color bleed.
bryantukkah
Posted 11/21/2015 11:10 AM (#793473 - in reply to #793471)

Try storing them without hooks... All your baits for that matter. I just keep a pair of split ring pliers with me at all times and pop hooks on and off when i need to. I can fit all the crankbaits and jerkbaits I need for a day in one plano box and i never have to worry about sticking myself when grabbing the one i want. Big rubber lays down a lot nicer without hooks on them too. Just get one extra small box for some hooks and split rings and youre good to go.
Espy
Posted 11/21/2015 11:47 AM (#793479 - in reply to #793473)

When not in the boat I keep most of my rubber baits hanging in the garage on a dowel rod or rail of some sort. I've also got a milk crate with PVC gutter downspout cut to fit and I can fit a dozen or so mag dawgs in there
szczochu
Posted 11/21/2015 12:27 PM (#793483 - in reply to #793465)
Subject: RE: Soft plastics and big rubber bait storage

Get one of the 36 can soft sided coolers and some downspout and you'll be able to fit 18, 14" in height. You can get them on Walmart's web for $20 or so. Mag size rubber fits no problem not sure about pounders might be a tight fit. Smaller baits you can even put 3 in one tube. Plus u have a strap to carry and some pockets for release tools.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSC_1762.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC_1762.JPG (105KB - 351 downloads)
jdsplasher
Posted 11/22/2015 6:00 AM (#793538 - in reply to #793483)
Subject: RE: Soft plastics and big rubber bait storage

^^ Awesome idea. SZ.   Keeps baits Cool too:)

JD

bpswing
Posted 11/22/2015 7:15 AM (#793540 - in reply to #793465)

Great idea, just have to find the bag now. I couldnt find it in the store. Do you have measurements of the bag or brand? Thanks much. I bought the gutters last night so I was heading in that direction.
BigEasy
Posted 11/22/2015 9:10 AM (#793547 - in reply to #793465)

BP, looking at the cooler I spied an Ozark Trail logo so googled Wally World website for 36 can cooler and it said out of stock. Detail page said the bag was 15x10x13, so there's a start point for a work around for us.
szczochu
Posted 11/22/2015 4:53 PM (#793631 - in reply to #793547)

Yeah checked walmart.com and did some google search and they might be discontinued. Got mine last year. You can get a different one and as far as downspout fittment I dont think its going to be a problem because its a second one I made, 30 can with 16 tubes arranged other way 4x4, and somehow they fit in both pretty well. They're pretty flexible. You can even go bigger like 40 cans and pretty sure ull be able to make it work just dont have any beer before u cut the pvc, as you can see on a picture not all of them are equal in length hehe. Good luck.
bpswing
Posted 11/23/2015 6:55 PM (#793804 - in reply to #793465)

Do you use the hard removeable bottom or just the soft fabric?
szczochu
Posted 11/23/2015 7:09 PM (#793809 - in reply to #793804)

Only the red one came with a hard bucket like insert but no i removed it and dont even bother with glueing tubs together because hooks or tails sometimes get stock on the bottom and its much easier to take out one tube than the whole thing. And dont worry about it not being rigid. Once u put the tubes in it seams like they were made for it and it s structute is very solid. Let me know how it went.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)