Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> What got you started?

What got you started?
OptionResults
Dad took you68 Votes - [40.24%]
Uncle(s), Grandpa, or Dad's friend(s) took you14 Votes - [8.28%]
Friends or friends' dads took you12 Votes - [7.1%]
TV shows got you interested, then went on your own5 Votes - [2.96%]
Born with innate desire to fish33 Votes - [19.53%]
My son got me into it2 Votes - [1.18%]
bored of walleye and bass fishing9 Votes - [5.33%]
My brother - spoiled caught one first time out5 Votes - [2.96%]
IPT reel phenomenon2 Votes - [1.18%]
Neighbor1 Votes - [0.59%]
chick's in bikinis . then a Musky bit one day1 Votes - [0.59%]
Caught a big one bass fishing...3 Votes - [1.78%]
reading all the musky story's in the 70s in mepps magazine1 Votes - [0.59%]
By accident fishing for other species6 Votes - [3.55%]
It makes me feel like a big man1 Votes - [0.59%]
Camping trip - friends caught a 48" and brought back to camp. I was hooked.1 Votes - [0.59%]
Saw a baby duck get eaten and wanted to fish for fish of that calibre1 Votes - [0.59%]
I got super stupid1 Votes - [0.59%]
had one wake up and eat a top water.1 Votes - [0.59%]
to add to your repertoire1 Votes - [0.59%]
the LIVING LEGEND--- Mike Davis!!!1 Votes - [0.59%]
Add your own option:

Message Subject: What got you started?
jaultman
Posted 7/22/2015 7:32 AM (#777280)
Subject: What got you started?

That Landahl article got me thinking - what works to get kids into fishing? What doesn't?

How were you introduced to fishing? What piqued your interest? Did anything turn you off from it (at least for a while)? Feel free to post your stories, and add options to the poll.
14ledo81
Posted 7/22/2015 8:18 AM (#777286 - in reply to #777280)
Subject: Re: What got you started?

Definitely started fishing because of my dad.

He is getting older, and now I take him fishing.

Yesterday I went with my dad (74 years old), my son (7 years old), and I am 34.
jmitch
Posted 7/22/2015 8:21 AM (#777288 - in reply to #777280)

Was all my old man. He fished lots of tournaments when I was younger and I thought it was awesome when he came home with trophies. I grew up wanting to be just like him and when I was old enough to start musky fishing I jumped in the boat as fast as I could. He gave up muskies after a few years of fishing together but as soon as I got my own boat that's all I wanted to catch and has been my target species since
jonnysled
Posted 7/22/2015 8:34 AM (#777291 - in reply to #777288)

dad took me but he wasn't a fisherman. didn't matter because now i had equipment and access to water. i lived on water growing up as a kid and got a boat after finding a sunk snowmobile, trading it and that was all i needed. was out there every night and then learned to ice fish too. i had a friend who's father was a fishing focused guy. he would send us ahead of him on trips throughout northern Minnesota with maps marked for us to fish and report back prior to his trips. we had it made!! during the college years we spend our entire Christmas breaks on Mille Lacs and in the summer most of our time on Mille Lacs, Pelican in Orr, MN., Vermillion, Leach and Cass. no muskies back then, mostly smallies, bluegils and walleyes.

Musky fishing came most when i returned to N. Wisconsin and started fishing LOTW and Eagle. Canada has ruined me for local musky fishing for the most part so i've returned to my roots of multi-species and have added salmon fishing on the big lakes to the mix.
KenK
Posted 7/22/2015 8:46 AM (#777292 - in reply to #777280)

My Dad was a fisherman, but not muskies. We had a lake property when I was little and grew up with a fishing rod in my hand. After we sold the property, we would fish all over northern IL and WI. My brother was the one who started taking me for muskies. I got spoiled when I caught one at Little Green lake my first time out when I was like 15 years old. Only about 30 inches, but it hooked me for life. I then started going on outings with my brother and his friends to northern Wisconsin. Now 40 years and many dollars later, I have my own cabin up north, many boats, motors, tons of lures and equipment. #*^@ him! I wouldn't want it any other way!

Edited by KenK 7/22/2015 8:47 AM
jaultman
Posted 7/22/2015 9:31 AM (#777299 - in reply to #777280)

For some reason I was obsessed with trying to catch fish from a very young age. Somehow I got my hands on some tackle and a rod - enough for me to catch suckers and smallies in the Mississippi by myself. Eventually I got my dad to take me every once in a while, and went with friends when I got a little older.

I do remember my first time really crushing bass, and that was with my dad. Unforgettable. And one of my uncles took me when Red boomed, and that got me hooked on ice fishing. The fishing obsession was definitely not in my family, but they still helped me pursue it a little bit.

In my opinion, it's pretty hard to not like fishing. I've made a point to take all of my younger siblings (five of them) fishing and hunting, since my dad isn't into those things. Each one really enjoys it now. And already my 4 and 1.5 year old kids are obsessed.
MOJOcandy101
Posted 7/22/2015 9:41 AM (#777302 - in reply to #777280)

My father got me into fishing at a very young age, going up to canada/boundry waters at least once a year. Though he wasn't a Muskie guy he introduced me into fishing. That evolved into shore fishing rivers during my high school years (gave me a good place to drink some beers and not get caught). Then my uncle brought me out muskie fishing once and after having a follow on that very first trip I was hooked. I still go out for walleyes with my dad but wish every second I'm out there that I was tossing some bucktails.
ulbian
Posted 7/22/2015 10:25 AM (#777308 - in reply to #777280)

Grew up across the road from a lake. From the age of 4 on my brother and I would walk across the highway as much as possible to fish from shore and on the ice. As I got older I'd fish for anything and still do. I still get a kick out of the spring sucker and bullhead runs as those are a blast.

I prefer fishing for trout in a small stream over anything else by a very wide margin. There are no crowds and it's peaceful. I got engaged around a time that my brother was dabbling in muskie fishing and when the engagement went belly up I was sitting on a pile of cash after hocking the ring. I used it to buy a boat seeing it as a way I could spend quality time with my brother. From that point forward my trout fishing days became more scarce due to the fact that I had to justify the money I spent on the stuff I use to target muskies. If my wife wasn't a fan of spending time in a boat I would've sold it and my gear in order to go back to my endless days of chasing stream trout.
thefrgt10
Posted 7/22/2015 10:30 AM (#777309 - in reply to #777302)

I have been fishing for as long as I can remember. My dad took me out at a very young age but my obsession for muskies didn't start til late October 2 years ago. My dad had caught the musky bug thanks to a buddy of his and caught 2 in 1 trip in July of 13. He talked about it just enough that it peaked my interest but I still wasn't convinced it was something I wanted to do. Long story short...that day in late October was the worst day of fishing ever. Not a single thing happened from sun up til about 30 minutes left of light when dad had a fish swirl on the bait about 15 yards out from the boat. INSTANTLY had to go again. Didn't make it out again until early July of last year but managed to boat my 1st 2 fish in one evening and musky are the only fish I think about any time I'm near water now. I'm finding it harder and harder to want to chase bass or anything knowing that I could be on some water somewhere close tossing baits that kill my back and possibly not seeing anything. Funny how that works.
Tommy
Posted 7/22/2015 11:14 AM (#777322 - in reply to #777280)

I went out on my first musky outing when I was 8 years old on Leech Lake. I had been fishing plenty for walleye, pike, and gills before this outing. My dad booked a full day with a guide because he wanted to try it. It's probably the absolute most expensive decision of his life. Nobody thought I'd make it all day, but I did and I loved it. Didn't see a thing, probably couldn't cast far, but man did I love the pursuit. Because of that day, I was hooked (for no real reason too) and in pursuit of my first. Took until I was almost 18 to get it, mainly because my opportunities to fish were few and far between. There were annual trips to Leech, sometimes vermillion, and even Canada. Many rods, reels, and lures were purchased. I got plenty of follows but couldn't seal the deal. Finally, my dad decided to buy a boat so we could fish more often and close to the Twin Cities. Sure enough, the summer of 2008 I was deemed trustworthy enough to take the boat out whenever I want and popped a 51" on Lake Independence.

I asked him how much money he thought he spent for me to land that first one, and I don't think he likes to think about it. To make it worse, he wasn't even in the boat for it. Had the girlfriend (now wife) with me! He doesn't really like the musky pursuit anymore, but I'm addicted more than ever. Especially since I see/catch more fish now.
esoxaddict
Posted 7/22/2015 12:45 PM (#777341 - in reply to #777280)

Best I can figure based on old pictures, my father took me fishing for the first tame in 1974. Growing up, we spent our weekends in Wisconsin. My father was never much into fishing himself. I think the happiest day of his life was when I was finally old enough to be out on the pier by myself. I know from the stories they tell me that I took to it right away, and never wanted to stop fishing, even in the worst weather. I got away from it for a few short years in my late teens in favor of partying with my friends, playing with hot rods, playing in rock and roll bands, and chasing girls around. Then I discovered Saturday morning fishing shows and remembered how much I loved fishing. Stayed with it as a multi species guy pretty much into my early 30's when a work colleague of mine offered to take me to Madison for a day of musky fishing. I was fortunate (unfortunate?) enough to have a follow on one of my first musky casts ever. I had seen enough of Bob Izumi and his Poes Giant Jackpot to know there was supposed to be some sort of figure 8 thing after the cast, but I just kept reeling until I ran out of line. And stood there...

From then on it was over. Within a year or two I had joined MI, bought numerous rods and lures and gear, and spent several summers driving to and fro in search of my first musky. I think it took two years before I finally caught one. Then a buddy of mine invited me up to fish Eagle back in 2006. That trip wrecked me for life. I was pretty much musky-or-nothing for a good 8-9 years, but I've recently re-discovered my love for all things that swim, and I have to admit there isn't much better then getting on a reef loaded with 4-5# smallies and going through two dozen leeches in 2 hours. That is until you see a musky following your leech, than all bets are off!
NathanH
Posted 7/22/2015 1:17 PM (#777342 - in reply to #777341)

Great Poll, My dad always took me fishing. So I have him to thank and his father was really into fishing.. even in his final years. I shifted over to Muskie to get away from walleye fishing for a bit. I caught my big fish and kind of thought now what. Plus now that I have kids I would like to target a fish that has a future that seems bright. Walleye fishing is on the decline the conservation just isn't there. Muskie fisherman are really the key to this sports success and growth by funding stocking and fighting for high limits ect.
randy t
Posted 7/22/2015 8:06 PM (#777393 - in reply to #777280)
Subject: RE: What got you started?

It was Dads fault. I grew up in N Calif. He was a normal, responsible father, Smallmouth bass were his passion.....
In the fall when the Salmon ran in the local rivers, Dad went completly ape****!
When I was to young to do this he drug me along and made me watch him catch his 3 Salmon a couple nites a week. It ruined me.
As I grew older and the fish depleated, I learned to gut it out long ours to catch a big fish.
When I moved here to Mn. 20 years ago I knew Walleyes wouldn't cut it..
Thanks Dad.
FishFinder87
Posted 7/22/2015 8:45 PM (#777403 - in reply to #777280)

Fished since I was old enough to hold a rod, thanks to my dad. Then one day I was on Twin at a friend's family cabin and made the biggest mistake of my life. I agreed to try musky fishing. It has since ruined my social life, love life, and financial situation. Muskies suck.
TCESOX
Posted 7/22/2015 10:24 PM (#777412 - in reply to #777280)

I shore fished small rivers in eastern Iowa, as kid. Mostly as an outdoor activity to keep me occupied until the hunting seasons began. After college I moved to Minnesota and got into walleye fishing. Bought a boat and spent about 15 years hunting big walleyes from Devil's lake to Lake Erie, and many lakes in between. Happened to be fishing walleye for a fish fry, on my neighborhood lake here in the metro, and caught a little musky on a shad rap. I couldn't believe how much more fight he had, than a pike of similar size. Plus he absolutely destroyed the shad rap. I was really taken by that, and was starting to tire, of hauling my boat long distances to catch big fish. Bought a couple of musky lures and used my pike rod that I had obtained years earlier for a couple of Canadian fishing trips. Caught a handful of under 34" ers that first year. Wasn't over the top hooked yet, but was starting to taste it. Halfway through the next year, I got a 47" tiger, and my knees were wobbling while I tried to pose for the picture, I was so excited. That was nine years and a few thousand dollars ago. But at least now, I don't spend a ton of money on gas, with six musky lakes within 15 minutes of my house, and the possibility for four footers.
sworrall
Posted 7/22/2015 11:13 PM (#777423 - in reply to #777280)

Been fishing about every chance I come by since I was 5. My first boat was a wooden rowboat when I was 5, my mother painted it pink so she could see where I was on Bangs Lake.

Got my first muskie (and a nice one) when I was a teenager on Bone Lake, moved North in the very early 70's to chase 'em and catch a few walleyes in the process.

The Ice also called me up here, and it'll be a /never happen/ for me to retire where there isn't any in the Winter.

Guided Muskies and Walleyes for 20 plus years, and worked in the fishing industry most of my life. Still do.

As an interesting aside (to me, anyways)

We fired up OFM and opened this place on July 2nd, 2001, started our 'coverage' of tournaments, shows, etc. (which we took no end of crap for) and never looked back. How time does fly....how many of you knew this place has been here for 14 years?

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12...
ValhallaBound
Posted 7/22/2015 11:50 PM (#777425 - in reply to #777280)

Started when I was big enough to walk. My dad and my uncle were known as "river rats" chasing cat fish and anything else that swam down here in Nebraska. As I got older fishing became a way for me to let go of the worries of the world and sink back into my comfort zone. I got into Muskie fishing because of the adrenaline, I've shot plenty of big deer, drove fast cars, and ran from plenty of trouble, but nothing has ever gave me the rush as chasing these beautiful beasts in the eye. I have a supreme respect for all natures predators but until I can wrestle a grizzly bear I'm sticking to hunting the big girls of the deep

Edited by ValhallaBound 7/22/2015 11:52 PM
sabbatoy
Posted 7/23/2015 7:30 PM (#777553 - in reply to #777280)

My folks never fished, but always allowed me to go with my friends and their parents. But dad always took me hunting,
tretsven6
Posted 7/24/2015 8:56 AM (#777598 - in reply to #777280)

My dad is a big fishermen, he would take me out all the time when I was young. Not so great for my social life, but I didn't want to spend time doing anything else! I have been fishing, according to my dad since I was 2. My first Muskie was 12 years ago when I was 9 years old. It was a fat 47" fish caught in late October/early November jigging medium suckers for walleyes. Started fishing muskies seriously about 3-4 years ago when I had a bad luck year for muskies, didn't have a strike after mid June! My dad caught a few but not me. That year is what pushed me to try harder, since then our numbers and average size fish have increased. After the bad year we got 20, last year we got 40, and this year we are at 30 so far. Still fish other species but like someone else mentioned I always wish I was tossing a muskie bait instead.

Also we only count fish that are bigger than 32", there was about 10 in the 25-31" range that we just don't count

Edited by tretsven6 7/24/2015 8:59 AM
pjhotel47
Posted 7/24/2015 12:54 PM (#777643 - in reply to #777280)

Started fishing because of my dad but started musky fishing because of my older brother. We're just getting our dad into it though.
SCSU10
Posted 8/12/2015 12:23 AM (#780030 - in reply to #777280)

It all started when I was 12 years old on Lake Vermilion. I caught a 40 inch muskie on a fudally candy spin. I was too afraid to hold the fish so the picture I got was my dad holding it with me. A great moment for him and I. That week I ended up catching my biggest walleye of my life (31 inch 9lbs 13 oz). We have shared many great memories in the boat my favorite was this year he caught his personal best at 51 incher.
flyingfish8604
Posted 8/12/2015 1:46 AM (#780032 - in reply to #780030)

My family has had property of the Wolf river since the 1930's, so I think that's where it started. I grew up in a 14' Deep Fisherman with my family on the river. We'd catch anything we could on a worm and a hook. As the years went on, my uncle from Texas converted me to bass after my my years failing at walleyes. My brother planted the musky seed, but it took a while to germinate. My brother was never the easiest person to deal with in the boat, and since I was little brother, I was ALWAYS wrong. My love for muskies has bloomed since I met my wife. I took her fishing for bass and pike, and she ended up catching muskies. Her first was around 32", and about 15 minutes later, she got another. We were fishing for bass, so no leaders, but if we would have, we would have ended up with 5 in the boat. It was that day that we both got the itch for more and bigger fish. Since chasing muskies, and buying my own boat, my relationship with my brother has actually gotten better. Now I have to "guide" him when we chase muskies.
redskeet100
Posted 8/12/2015 9:51 AM (#780062 - in reply to #777280)

We had a family trip to Ghost lake up in Wisconsin back in the early 90s. My dad didn't really fish all that much, but brother and I loved it. So we went into town, bought a big musky lure each, we had never musky fished, and headed back to the lake. We had bass fished mostly, and right around dark we heard a couple of jumps about 30 yards behind us. Started up and moved close enough to cast. Threw the big musky bait, was a perch colored grandma type bait, and bam musky nailed it on first cast. Was my first musky and was 34" fish. We have been hooked ever since.
muskidiem
Posted 8/12/2015 10:04 AM (#780064 - in reply to #777280)

Had an uncle invite me to LOTW when I was 19. Borrowed a bait caster and got a 38 on the 8 third time around. I was hooked.

This weekend was cooler and cloudy so we didn't do much water sports, but did take three kids (5,7,9) and my wife casting for couple hours Sat. and Sun. Gave them spinnerbaits and topper for bass/northern. My daughter got a northern on topper and it got everyone excited. They are persistent and determined. Also caught the basic gills off dock. Good memories. Would love to see how it impacts their little brains. I got a 35" ski before they woke up, showed them my phone pics. Our third year of family fishing and they have progressed so well. I can't wait for them to witness a musky strike or see one caught. Blow their minds.
redfinjim
Posted 8/12/2015 12:47 PM (#780084 - in reply to #777280)

I stationed myself on a small gravel bar below a steep, overgrown bank one day, hoping to pry either of those native fish from a tangle of logs and other debris several yards out into the river. Repeated casts with a surface lure brought only empty water behind it. Little did I know that I would become the target instead.
Around a bend upstream from me, a flat-bottomed Jon boat gradually came into full view. Two fishermen were standing front and rear in this Jon boat, casting enormous lures toward either bank. Each would cast his lure toward the bank and retrieve it in an erratic fashion, before swishing it back and forth for a few seconds at boat side to lift them from the water and repeat the process.
Their boat was a befuddlement the likes of which I had never seen. It had the standard electric trolling motor attached to its bow, but it was the shiny, metal protrusion from its stern that puzzled me. As they came closer, I recognized it was likely a rudder of some sort that would prevent the boat from pinwheeling on the river current.
Both fishermen were standing. The one with the ball hat was on the bow as the other one kept glancing from behind his partner toward me, talking to him between glimpses. I couldn't hear what they were saying as they put their fishing rods away and angled their boat toward the bank I was fishing from to beach it. Ball-hat jumped out, securely tying the boat to an exposed root ball. The other followed after he retrieved a coffee thermos from amidst the tackle they had neatly arranged in the center of their Jon boat.
They introduced themselves as Bill and Bill then asked me if I lived here. We had just moved from Illinois to West Virginia. Ball-hat said he was from Amma, and the smiley one hailed from Friendly. They started asking questions machine-gun style about the kind of lures I was using, what I was fishing for, had I caught anything, and on and on. I remember thinking, "These guys are either very friendly or I've been caught trespassing."
Smiley poured a cup of coffee and offered it to me. Ah, friendly they are. I relaxed and accepted it, then began edging closer to their boat for a better look.
"Whatta ya think about those lures there?" Smiley asked while pointing toward a Styrofoam cooler located in the center of the boat. A vision of Santa's sleigh flashed through my head. There must have been four dozen extra-large lures hanging from the rear set of treble hooks inside that cooler, the likes of which I had never seen.
"Homemade, they are," Ball-hat boasted. "You'll not find those in any tackle shop, that's for sure." They did seem outlandishly large for bass or walleye, I thought. Most of them were severely battle scarred.
"You guys use those big baits for bass and walleye?" I asked unwarily. They glanced back and forth at one another as their faces grew smiles. Smiley chimed in.
"Well, we do catch 'em every once in awhile, but we're fishing for muskie."
Bill Crane and Bill Looney were the two fishermen in the boat. They got me hooked.

Edited by redfinjim 8/12/2015 12:48 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 8/12/2015 4:49 PM (#780112 - in reply to #777280)

What got me started? I believe it was some sort of mental disorder, and the comfort of knowing I am not alone in my strange little world.
mnmusky
Posted 8/12/2015 6:18 PM (#780119 - in reply to #780112)

esoxaddict - 8/12/2015 4:49 PM

What got me started? I believe it was some sort of mental disorder

Haha! The only medication for that is your next fish. Too bad one cant " OD "

on that stuff.
woodieb8
Posted 8/12/2015 7:22 PM (#780126 - in reply to #777280)

on lsc was my dad. we had technology man a 6hp martin outboard cork lifejackets mason line and a hammer for every ski over the gunnel. back in the 1950,s it was eat what ya caught . bullheads to muskies.like every guy after teen years chasin girls/beer respnosbilitys kicked in. ever notice that ya cant get back to the lake then fast enuff.we don't realize how good we have it now.
Yooper Padre
Posted 8/13/2015 6:20 AM (#780162 - in reply to #777280)

I'd always heard of muskies but had never seen one or fished a lake where they were present. That changed six years ago. I was fishing for pike with a large Dardevle when out of nowhere it came, something that looked like a canoe paddle following my lure. In amazement I thought, so that's a muskie! At that moment I decided that I was going to do whatever I had to do to catch one. So the addiction began.

Fr. K
ghoti
Posted 8/13/2015 11:48 AM (#780220 - in reply to #777280)

I was taught to fish by my father who was mostly a pan fisherman, with occasional bass thrown in. What got me interested was a trip to Aqualand back in the 50's. They used to sell live frogs to feed the muskies they had in a pond. I could sit there for hours (hard to do for a 10 year old} and watch the fish stalk the frog before the fatal strike. Not many made it to shore.

From that point on it's been my primary focus, but still enjoy the other fish that share the waters I frequent. I've been blessed to live in areas with great fishing nearby and try to experience as many as possible before my time is expired.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)