Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Yeti vs Pelican coolers

Message Subject: Yeti vs Pelican coolers
rodbender
Posted 7/26/2015 11:03 AM (#777816)
Subject: Yeti vs Pelican coolers

what are your thoughts, likes ,dislikes about Yeti or Pelican coolers?
If you have one, do you find it worth the money? I like the lid latches on the Pelican better and am fond of their cases for storing stuff but I think Yeti has been making coolers longer.
Jacko
Posted 7/26/2015 11:24 AM (#777817 - in reply to #777816)
Subject: RE: Yeti vs Pelican coolers

Gander Mtn Perma Chill, worth the money and cheaper
Than the yeti.
Pointerpride102
Posted 7/26/2015 11:28 AM (#777818 - in reply to #777817)
Subject: Re: Yeti vs Pelican coolers

Coleman and Igloo have been making coolers longer...

And you can probably buy 50 of them for the cost of one yeti.
Reef Hawg
Posted 7/26/2015 11:43 AM (#777821 - in reply to #777816)

50 of them weigh less than a yeti.
Reef Hawg
Posted 7/26/2015 11:55 AM (#777823 - in reply to #777816)

I've actually had really good luck with the Coleman 5 day coolers, keeping things cold during a weekend camping trip. I see they also make an extreme boat type 28 quart cooler that holds up to 250lbs on the lid. Not yeti quality, but looks halfway decent for $38. Not sure if okay to post the link here, feel free to remove if not.

http://www.coleman.com/product/28-quart-xtremereg-cooler/3000002009...
beerforthemuskygods
Posted 7/26/2015 2:33 PM (#777844 - in reply to #777816)

I have the Roadie and my buddy has a pelican. Both are great coolers. Heavy? you bet, but i have had it dealing with cheap coolers that break and can't handle an all day summer event. Expensive? considering how much money i have spent over the years on crappy coolers, assuming this one will last a lifetime, it is well worth it. I compared mine side by side with the perma-chill and there were obvious quality differences. In short, it is worth it.
Pointerpride102
Posted 7/26/2015 3:42 PM (#777863 - in reply to #777844)

I'm curious how you're breaking cheap coolers? I have a couple old cheap coolers that are still in one piece.
tolle141
Posted 7/26/2015 6:41 PM (#777888 - in reply to #777816)

Picked up a yeti tunda 65 this spring. So far it's been awesome. My tests put the ice at 4-7 days depending on how often I'm opening it. If you were to apply the tips yeti gives to a normal cooler, you'd probably get another day.

Why did I buy an extreme, 5 day cooler?
-durability. We spend 10-16 weekends a year camping/at cabins/hunting. We destroy a cooler every year (falls off truck, standing on them, sitting on them, running them over, falling off ATV's, and just general wear and tear). Yeti's take it. Lots of coolers take it.
-Ice retention. A 3 day trip in heavy sun melts ice. I never count on there being fridge space wherever I go, and really like being able to bring food/fish/grouse home on ice.

Why a Yeti? REI 20% member discount + dividend put my pricing in line with engel and orca coolers. They look great and have fantastic accessory options.

Orca makes really good coolers too...
sjb42
Posted 7/27/2015 2:17 PM (#778001 - in reply to #777888)

Ive seen this a million times somebody copies a known great product and says theirs is better and doesn't cost as much and it turns out not to be true. If Im going to spend the money Im going to get the authenic item not some copycat knockoff. Its like Musky mayhem DCG it became popular and caught a lot of fish and now everyone makes a lure like that, to me not the same thing.
rodbender
Posted 7/27/2015 2:36 PM (#778005 - in reply to #778001)

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know just how many manufacturers of high-end coolers there were until I researched this a bit. Sounds like Engal was the first to come out with these. Im going with a Grizzly cooler. Made in USA (Yeti are made in the Philippines ). lifetime warranty, and less cost than a Yeti. They all claim to hold ice for about the same amount of time, so it boiled down to price and where it was made, warranty, cheap replacement parts (lid closures, drain plugs), etc... I also liked this demo video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsmERg41pIA
beerforthemuskygods
Posted 7/27/2015 4:00 PM (#778024 - in reply to #777863)

Pointerpride102 - 7/26/2015 3:42 PM

I'm curious how you're breaking cheap coolers? I have a couple old cheap coolers that are still in one piece.

It must have something to do with the fact that the ice melts so quickly in the cheap coolers that i find myself drinking the beer so fast that my body and brain cannot keep up. Henceforth, I end up with broken hinges, busted handles, smashed corners, and dented lids. Apparently, I must get angry at my coolers.
magicmusky
Posted 7/27/2015 8:06 PM (#778055 - in reply to #777816)

I don't doubt that these high end coolers are worth the money and are quality products. However, if half these guys were honest with themselves, they would say they bought one because Yeti does an excellent job in marketing and convinced them that they couldn't go another day on the Lord's green earth without dropping $400 plus on a cooler. I've owned cheap coolers, and yes, they fall apart from time to time. However, I just don't understand how some of you can say that you are constantly ruining coolers. I'd be more inclined to believe that a lot of you simply don't take care of your stuff, or pay attention to what you're doing. It's hard to blame a manufacturer for making a cheap cooler when the user is using it for things it was never intended to do. I can't think of a reason why I would need to stand on a cooler, or why it would fall off a truck, or the back of an ATV as long as the user was paying attention to what they're doing. Blaming makers like Igloo for making terrible coolers is like saying Rolex makes a crappy watch because it falls apart when I throw it at a brick wall or run it over with my boat trailer.
curleytail
Posted 7/27/2015 9:11 PM (#778069 - in reply to #778055)

magicmusky - 7/27/2015 8:06 PM

I don't doubt that these high end coolers are worth the money and are quality products. However, if half these guys were honest with themselves, they would say they bought one because Yeti does an excellent job in marketing and convinced them that they couldn't go another day on the Lord's green earth without dropping $400 plus on a cooler. I've owned cheap coolers, and yes, they fall apart from time to time. However, I just don't understand how some of you can say that you are constantly ruining coolers. I'd be more inclined to believe that a lot of you simply don't take care of your stuff, or pay attention to what you're doing. It's hard to blame a manufacturer for making a cheap cooler when the user is using it for things it was never intended to do. I can't think of a reason why I would need to stand on a cooler, or why it would fall off a truck, or the back of an ATV as long as the user was paying attention to what they're doing. Blaming makers like Igloo for making terrible coolers is like saying Rolex makes a crappy watch because it falls apart when I throw it at a brick wall or run it over with my boat trailer.

For only having 30 posts, I think I like you. I have to agree with this. Do the high end coolers do something the cheaper ones don't? I imagine they do. I suppose they hold ice longer and hold up better, and that could be important to somebody guiding every day, or somebody that takes trip out West every year, or maybe even a person that's super serious about many extended camping trips.

I gotta think there are not enough people in that category to keep Yeti in business. I'd bet a paycheck that most people that own a high end cooler fill it with beer and ice for a one day party, or take it camping for a two day weekend a time or two each year, and an Igloo or Coleman would work just as well for them.

Then again, I sure as heck don't need the new 21' Tuffy Tiller with a 250 and power steering on it. It probably won't catch me any more fish. But I want one, so I guess I understand it.
magicmusky
Posted 7/27/2015 9:35 PM (#778073 - in reply to #778069)

I'm with you Curleytail, there is plenty of stuff I own/want myself that could be achieved by a more economical alternative. I have nothing against guys that have high end coolers(it is a silly thing to discriminate over), and it's not my business to tell people how to spend their money. If somebody can afford it, more power to them. I'm always a little reluctant to buy into the latest craze that relies on aggressive marketing and logical fallacies to sell their product, and it's not just coolers. Up until a few years ago, none of us had any significant problems with our coolers until Yeti got really aggressive with their marketing and told us that unless our coolers can withstand a missile strike, we own crap coolers.
tolle141
Posted 7/27/2015 9:39 PM (#778074 - in reply to #778055)

magicmusky - 7/27/2015 8:06 PM

You've misunderstood what I meant, and that's ok. I'm not knocking the igloo you have. It's a great cooler for what you need out of it (holding beer for a few hours on a pontoon). I use my yeti as the basecamp freezer and move ice into a folding coleman I found at REI when I go out on the pontoon. Works fantastic in tandem with the heavier yeti. That single soft side doesn't do what I need out of it to be a dedicated cooler though, so I invested in a cooler that does. That cooler is a yeti and I love it to death.

To the original poster, think about what you need out of a cooler. Lots of really good 5-7 day "extreme" coolers out there. I'm pretty sure gander has a sweet yeti look-a-like that works great. Engels are awesome and Cabelas stocks them. I believe Orcas are what the US military uses. At the end of the day, it's your money. Buy what you want.
jchiggins
Posted 7/27/2015 9:51 PM (#778077 - in reply to #777816)

I agree I'm sure the Yeti cooler is awesome, but give me a cheap Coleman or Igloo any day. Own both of them. Key to any cooler is to pre chill it with cold water. Most people will take their hundred plus degree cooler out of the garage and load it up. Then wonder why all their ice is melted by the evening. We've had the same coolers for years. I don't run a push/pull or cast off ours, but they work just fine.
magicmusky
Posted 7/27/2015 10:01 PM (#778081 - in reply to #777816)

Tolle141, I didn't mean to go on a rant against Yeti or Yeti owners and get off topic. I agree, if Yeti, or whoever else makes a cooler that is suited for what you need it for, then by all means, that is the cooler you should have.
jonnysled
Posted 7/27/2015 10:24 PM (#778086 - in reply to #778081)

Ice is cheap ... i wonder how much ice you can by for $375.00

i had just encase build custom inserts for my yeti cooler and store my damson blades in it. too good to just keep beer in it ... my opinion.
tolle141
Posted 7/27/2015 11:10 PM (#778091 - in reply to #778086)

jonnysled - 7/27/2015 10:24 PM

i had just encase build custom inserts for my yeti cooler and store my damson blades in it. too good to just keep beer in it ... my opinion.

I kinda like this lol

Precooling is one of the most important parts. When we go up by the bwca, i like the precool during the week with ice out of my freezer. I also freeze a lot of the food and throw it in there for the drive. Once I get to Duluth, first stop is Taco Johns. $0.99 for 8lbs last time I checked.

Flambeauski
Posted 7/28/2015 8:37 AM (#778117 - in reply to #778086)

When you're 50 miles from shore or 200 miles from the nearest qwik-e-mart, none.
Unless someone you're with has a really nice cooler, then they might sell you some.
Mojo1269
Posted 7/28/2015 8:58 AM (#778120 - in reply to #778117)

Double post
Mojo1269
Posted 7/28/2015 9:01 AM (#778121 - in reply to #778120)

Mojo1269 - 7/28/2015 8:58 AM

Flambeauski - 7/28/2015 8:37 AM

When you're 50 miles from shore or 200 miles from the nearest qwik-e-mart, none.
Unless someone you're with has a really nice cooler, then they might sell you some.

Exactly... Being able to eat fresh food while in the boonies for extended periods of time is worth the price of admission... If you do not need it, don't buy it... Any of the above mentioned coolers are over kill for the KOA/State Park/ Day boat trip user but if you spend time in the wilderness for any length of time they are well worth the money. I spent time at Fort Jefferson Park (Dry Tortugas) enroute to Havana a couple of times and those trips sold me on getting a Yeti...
beerforthemuskygods
Posted 7/28/2015 4:10 PM (#778173 - in reply to #777816)

...and they are bear proof.
esoxaddict
Posted 7/28/2015 8:19 PM (#778205 - in reply to #777816)

I spent years under the assumption that a cooler is a cooler is a cooler. I just accepted the fact that ice would melt and stuff would get warm and soggy. Where I drew the line was on the way to Canada a few years ago when my ($35 insert brand here) cooler decided that the wind in the back of my truck was just enough to open the lid about 4" and levitate it at any speed over 60 MPH. I lost some really nice prosciutto and several bags of sliced cheese. Not the end of the world, and nothing a bungee cord didn't fix. But driving home from FL and Canada with fish and knowing that even loading it with dry ice wasn't going to keep the stuff frozen, especially in 90+ degree weather with an overnight stay in between caused me to seek greener pastures. I bought the coleman 5 day cooler, because the price of a Yeti just seemed ridiculous. The cheap coolers are great for tailgating or a one day trip, parties, etc. But if you're looking to keep stuff frozen for a couple days, you definitely get what you pay for.

Best practice for ANY cooler is to load it with ice the night before you leave. Dump the water in the morning, add food, cover with more ice, and you'll get at least a day longer out of it.
tolle141
Posted 7/28/2015 10:07 PM (#778222 - in reply to #777816)

If you're feeling handy, make a gasket seal for the lid.
jonnysled
Posted 7/28/2015 10:16 PM (#778226 - in reply to #778222)

i did buy a bunch of raffle tickets at the Ruffed Grouse Society gala last fall hoping to win a Yet cooler and wanted the hat and the decal for my truck.
sworrall
Posted 7/29/2015 12:06 AM (#778230 - in reply to #777816)

We have a couple Canyon coolers. Worth every penny.

http://www.canyoncoolers.com/
Wood_Duck
Posted 8/2/2015 11:46 AM (#778774 - in reply to #777816)

ENGEL!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)