Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Pokegama Lake Grand Rapids, MN stocking?

Message Subject: Pokegama Lake Grand Rapids, MN stocking?
Cfollow
Posted 8/5/2015 8:18 PM (#779274)
Subject: Pokegama Lake Grand Rapids, MN stocking?

Can anyone tell me why Pokegama did NOT get stocked with muskies in 2014? Everything I have read said it would get about 2000 fingerlings every other year starting in 2008. I just looked at MN Lakefinder and it apparently did not get stocked las t year.
Brad P
Posted 8/5/2015 11:10 PM (#779293 - in reply to #779274)
Subject: Re: Pokegama Lake Grand Rapids, MN stocking?

What I heard was that they planned to just stock it once and then let natural reproduction take over. And yes, I find this ridiculous. The potential of that lake to grow giants is tremendous, but the DNR does not look to be working to make it happen.

Call the Area MGR in Grand Rapids and let him know your dissatisfaction. That manager has a reputation for not being the best friend of Musky Fishing. Very conservative stocking throughout the area, some might argue under stocking. Definitely not the same approach as the Detroit Lakes area manager. (we could only be so lucky...)
jaultman
Posted 8/6/2015 9:18 AM (#779313 - in reply to #779274)
Subject: RE: Pokegama Lake Grand Rapids, MN stocking?

Cfollow - 8/5/2015 8:18 PM

Can anyone tell me why Pokegama did NOT get stocked with muskies in 2014? Everything I have read said it would get about 2000 fingerlings every other year starting in 2008. I just looked at MN Lakefinder and it apparently did not get stocked las t year.

I was been concerned, too. It's possible that they're just behind on data entry. That's what I'm hoping anyway. If they want to turn it into a good musky lake, they really should give it an honest effort. A lot of people are concerned that natural reproduction might not be very successful. I really wouldn't mind having at least one stocked lake in the area. Even after they're established, keep dumping them in!

I email the fisheries manager a lot, might as well ask him this one.
jaultman
Posted 8/6/2015 9:23 AM (#779316 - in reply to #779274)

I did email the area fisheries supervisor. The last publication I've seen stated that it would get it's 1978 muskies every other year through 2016, then it would be evaluated to see how they're taking. I asked for an explanation as to why it doesn't appear to have been stocked last year.
Brad P
Posted 8/6/2015 9:44 AM (#779323 - in reply to #779316)

I seriously hope they get it going, of all the lakes they proposed adding, this one excited me the most. It has an awesome forage base.
jaultman
Posted 8/6/2015 10:14 AM (#779325 - in reply to #779274)

Even some walleye guys I know think the muskies are going to really improve the walleye fishing. The common consensus is that part of the difficulty to catch walleyes comes from the abundance of forage, especially smelt. Some pelagic muskies might push walleyes back to the perch. Just a theory.

Anyone have examples of musky lakes with strong smelt populations?
jaultman
Posted 8/6/2015 12:20 PM (#779348 - in reply to #779274)

Fast response!

"Jesse,

The data is current. Pokegama Lake was supposed to be stocked in 2014, however, the contract vendor did not have the fish. We have moved the stocking to this year using state produced fish so it will be stocked. Missing 2014 and moving it to 2015 means the last stocking will be pushed back to 2017 instead of 2016. The stocking program is still on track, just pushed back a year.

Chris"
dtaijo174
Posted 8/6/2015 2:21 PM (#779359 - in reply to #779274)

Thanks Jaultman! I was wondering what was going on as well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)