Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Muskies, food, and structure

Message Subject: Muskies, food, and structure
jaultman
Posted 8/6/2015 10:24 AM (#779327)
Subject: Muskies, food, and structure

Something I've been thinking about quite a bit.

The majority of us spend the majority of our time fishing "shallow" structure. Let's say 20' or less - definitely above thermocline on lakes that have a thermocline.

Supposedly muskies prefer to feed on ciscos (if they're in the lake) and suckers over pretty much anything else. My understanding of ciscos is that they're a cold-water species, pelagic, so definitely not hanging around the stuff we cast at, like shallow rock piles, weed beds, etc, for most of the year. And as for suckers in summertime, I have no idea where they're at. Never see them in the shallows.

So all these muskies we catch of reefs, points, and shallow weeds - I assume they're feeding on panfish, perch, and bass, which are supposedly not their favorites (excepting perch). Should there not be many more muskies out deep than there are shallow? I know some guys on here say that the depths are way overlooked, but there are enough guys having great success fishing traditional muskie structure that it still seems to be the better tactic.

Why are muskies so often shallow while their supposed favorite foods are most often deep?
Pelagic Prober
Posted 8/6/2015 11:04 AM (#779333 - in reply to #779327)
Subject: RE: Muskies, food, and structure

On the lakes I fish in Vilas Co l have noticed schools of redhorse in the 1-3# range. I think they are a major source of feed for the fish that are feeding on structure. Most of my fishing is done in water over 20' near suspended schools of unknown bait fish.
Don't know sure if they are cisco,shiners,perch, or crappie, all I know is that the muskies are very nearby.
jaultman
Posted 8/6/2015 11:36 AM (#779340 - in reply to #779327)
Subject: Re: Muskies, food, and structure

Cool, Pelagic Prober. Where do you see those suckers?

I do see tons of them (white suckers and redhorse) on a couple rivers I fish, and that tips me off on where the muskies will be. Just don't know where they're at in lakes.
FlyPiker
Posted 8/6/2015 8:12 PM (#779392 - in reply to #779327)
Subject: Re: Muskies, food, and structure

Check out the thread on thermal considerations. Some good observations on how/why muskies hang out in and bite lures in the shallows.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)