Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Guides Holding Fish and Question for the guides

Message Subject: Guides Holding Fish and Question for the guides
GB Charters
Posted 7/8/2015 9:42 AM (#775370 - in reply to #774858)
Subject: RE: Guides Holding Fish and Question for the guides

If a guide service or lodge doesn't want you to hold your fish it's likely because they're concerned with liability lawsuits from injured customers. I wont let my customers put their hands in the net if the hooks are still in the net or in the fish but once hooks are removed I let all my customers hold their own fish but make sure I tell them and or show them the proper and safe ways first and rarely does anyone get hurt or the fish get dropped. Most guys are there to learn and that includes proper handling and release procedures for both the person and the fishes benefit. I've only ever held a few customers fish because they either didn't feel comfortable holding it or it was just to big for them to handle. I also provide gloves for the gill hand to prevent injuries to the fish and the person.
Jerry Newman
Posted 7/8/2015 10:21 AM (#775381 - in reply to #775370)
Subject: RE: Guides Holding Fish and Question for the guides

GB Charters - 7/8/2015 9:42 AM Most guys are there to learn and that includes proper handling and release procedures for both the person and the fishes benefit.

Excellent point!

Nick59
Posted 7/8/2015 12:26 PM (#775408 - in reply to #775228)
Subject: Re: Guides Holding Fish and Question for the guides

anzomcik - 7/7/2015 12:34 PM

If the photo is the most important part of the trip I would think your priorities are a little off, there is so much more to take with you than a photo. Does it really matter, the guide is the person who put you on that fish any way. If thats the deal breaker then go use another guide, why complain will it change the way people do things?

I think the issue here is not knowing up front about the holding thing.
Memories can fade... a 'picture' never will.

My $.02

horsehunter
Posted 7/8/2015 12:33 PM (#775409 - in reply to #774858)

I caught that fish that other guy is holding
Putts
Posted 7/8/2015 7:19 PM (#775451 - in reply to #774858)

That is really something. I never would of thought that some guides make that rule for everyone, including seasoned anglers. Makes me wonder what other questions I should be asking before I book a trip of a lifetime.
GB Charters
Posted 7/9/2015 7:34 AM (#775511 - in reply to #775451)

Most guides websites and lodges website have lots of pictures in their photo album. Check them out and if you see the guides holding all the muskies and that's not your thing, move on to the next guide or lodge. In my opinion I'd say 99% of the anglers I`ve guided want to hold their own fish, kids and women included, and it definitely makes for a better memory and photo for them.

It doesn't hurt to ask them what the policy is and they may make an exception for you.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)