Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Huron River, SE Michigan

Message Subject: Huron River, SE Michigan
Jkrauz80
Posted 10/19/2015 4:39 PM (#789271)
Subject: Huron River, SE Michigan

Was wondering if anybody fishes the stretch of the Huron from Belleville lake to the mouth of Erie. I know there's muskies in there but it seems to be over looked by most anglers. Hard to get any solid info regarding muskies as most people who hook into them were fishing for steelhead. I've been putting some time in with no luck and was wondering if anyone on her has some useful knowledge of the area.
tundrawalker00
Posted 10/19/2015 7:16 PM (#789291 - in reply to #789271)
Subject: Re: Huron River, SE Michigan

Check with the staff of the Metroparks. They may have a biologist on staff at the metroparks HQ. Also, the fisheries biologist in Livonia probably hears a fair amount. You could also post this on the public portion of the Michigan Muskie Alliance bulletin board. http://www.michiganmuskiealliance.org/forums/
detroithardcore
Posted 10/20/2015 7:26 AM (#789349 - in reply to #789271)

Check with Schultz Outfitters, a local Fly Shop right on the Huron River in downtown Ypsilanti. These guys are awesome and guide for carp and smallies on the lower end of Huron. Yes these fish are going over the dam at Belleville and working their way out to Flat Rock but I'm not hearing much for size yet. A few more years should hopefully start producing some 38-40" fish along the River. Hopefully a good amount stay in Belleville Lake cause it's a fun lake to fish and lots of forage. I don't hear much about Muskie catches except a few here and there in Flat Rock. I'd love to see the DNR start stocking way up at the top of the Huron River. So many lakes they can migrate into and plenty of great water to fish.
Jkrauz80
Posted 10/20/2015 9:32 AM (#789368 - in reply to #789271)

Thanks fellas! Checking out the MMA first. From what I've read on a local outdoors forum is that a lot of muskies make it over the dam from the Belleville stock and the native muskies in the Huron can make it all the way upstream to the dam at Belleville. I'll look into your suggestions and keep working this stretch and hopefully have something to show for it.
Zib
Posted 10/20/2015 11:10 AM (#789398 - in reply to #789271)
Subject: RE: Huron River, SE Michigan

Most of the muskies that were stocked in Belleville made it through the #*^@ & into the river & that's why the DNR stopped stocking them in Belleville. I know someone that caught a musky (while targeting smallies) last year just below the Belleville #*^@ that was mid 30's.
Jkrauz80
Posted 10/20/2015 12:12 PM (#789417 - in reply to #789271)

They started stocking again now that the state switched to only GL strain. The last two stockings were in 2012, 2014. Before that they were stocking Northern strain but didn't want them mixing with the native GL strain in the river.

Edited by Jkrauz80 10/20/2015 1:25 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)