Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Ambassadeur Issues

Message Subject: Ambassadeur Issues
Riley-H
Posted 6/28/2015 2:18 PM (#774289)
Subject: Ambassadeur Issues

I have 2 of these reels. An older 5600 c4 and a newish (1 1\2yr old) 5600 c3, i primarily use these reels for pike and light musky stuff, 6'' minnow baits and gliders.

I cleaned the c4 out, put the 5:1 gears in and it works great but everytime i stop the reel handle the spool will spin a little extra making a clicking noise, i know the way these reels are made this can happen but is way worse than on any abus ive owned. It also does this when there is no line on the spool.

The C3 is fine but when you pull out the drag when it is tighten down it almost feels like at part of the spools revolution something is rubbing. This is also noticible when a fish is hooked and it becomes hard too reel.

Thanks for any input.
Jeremy
Posted 6/28/2015 3:32 PM (#774294 - in reply to #774289)
Subject: RE: Ambassadeur Issues

Riley you likely don't need me to tell you but send it to Pikemaster online here. He's a wiz. with this stuff. Might take a little time but well worth it.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=83...
RyanJoz
Posted 6/28/2015 10:18 PM (#774330 - in reply to #774289)
Subject: Re: Ambassadeur Issues

The clicking when stopping the spool does not mean there is a problem with the reel. The spool clicks forward because of how the bevel is cut in the pinion gear. C series reels are prone to bending the spool shaft. Do not fish them with a locked drag ever.
Riley-H
Posted 6/29/2015 2:54 PM (#774384 - in reply to #774330)

RyanJoz - 6/28/2015 11:18 PM

The clicking when stopping the spool does not mean there is a problem with the reel. The spool clicks forward because of how the bevel is cut in the pinion gear. C series reels are prone to bending the spool shaft. Do not fish them with a locked drag ever.

I know the clicking can happen but is much worse than others.

So do you think a bent spindle could be the culprit?
RyanJoz
Posted 6/30/2015 9:19 PM (#774545 - in reply to #774384)

Riley-H - 6/29/2015 2:54 PM
I know the clicking can happen but is much worse than others.

So do you think a bent spindle could be the culprit?

The bent spool shaft would be the cause of the spool contacting the frame, but not the clicking. the clicking is normal unless the reel has been engaged several times BEFORE the bait hits the water. I would inspect the pinion gear where it mates to the spool drive pins.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)