Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Smart time on the water

Message Subject: Smart time on the water
tmohler
Posted 7/1/2015 9:57 PM (#774660)
Subject: Smart time on the water

Still going after my first ski, spent around 30 hours at least casting for them without having seen one follow and I would like to go out all day Saturday. I remember seeing a couple places that a big key to learning is spending time on the water, but all I've really "learned" so far is getting better at casting and boat control. How can I make better use of my time and use my hours on the water better? Also kind of limited because of a lack of a depth/fish finder. Note: A lot of fish I'm casting to are tigers.
14ledo81
Posted 7/1/2015 10:22 PM (#774663 - in reply to #774660)
Subject: Re: Smart time on the water

Without a depth finder, I would try to put my boat on the weed edge, move parallel to it, and cast straight forward. Some casts in and some out as well.
WiscoMusky
Posted 7/1/2015 10:39 PM (#774666 - in reply to #774663)

putting in as many hours as you can will only improve your chances, but fishing when you're free isn't the same as fishing when the fish want to eat. To improve your chances you need to be on the water during feeding times, such as falling barometric pressure, during major and minor feeding times based on lunar schedule (read joe buchers article on moon phases on musky hunter.com, and watch the moonphases on an app)... The best advise overall is to get a guide for a half a day or what ever you can afford. You will learn more in a half a day than you will on 100hours on your own
FISHFINDER101
Posted 7/2/2015 12:48 AM (#774675 - in reply to #774660)

There's a lot of answers to that question that come to mind. I remember when I caught musky fever, it was when fishing a particular lake for basically what ever was bitting and ended up with a couple big follows to the boat. So I started fishing for them. After fishing this lake all the time for muskies it took a while to start catching them on a regular basis. I was basically just chucking musky baits where ever I fished or that looked fishy. Sometimes I would fish five full days in a row with out even seeing a fish. I eventually figured out places muskies were usually hanging out, then eventually narrowed down better feeding times in these spots. I basically apply this to a lot of new bodies of water and always try shortening the learning curve on each new lake or river. I study lake maps, ask around with locals, basically do as much Intel as I can gather up. Pay attention to weather patterns, for example if a certain wind has been blowing into a shoreline for a few days. The list can go on, so time on the water eventually will eventually lead up to you asking yourself all these questions and ypu learning from what has happened. You'll start looking into all the variables out there more and more each outting. Good luck and stick with it, it'll all come together soon enough, remember one other thing. Fish where there are muskys.
ToddM
Posted 7/2/2015 5:45 AM (#774676 - in reply to #774660)

Not knowing the general area you are fishing it is tough to help. Tigers could mean you are in Washington, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, Montana or just happened to be fishing A lake that has tigers. What are your lake options? I would pick a lake that you.can easily.fish a bank or weed edge without a depth finder. A lake that has more action because it has more fish per acre.
tmohler
Posted 7/2/2015 5:54 AM (#774680 - in reply to #774660)

Haha, 2 out of the 3 lakes I fish don't have any weeds since they're flood control lakes. The one that does is under 50 acres. And I'm in southeast PA.
mnmusky
Posted 7/2/2015 6:33 AM (#774684 - in reply to #774680)

Troll Rapala tail dancers @ 2.5-3mph.
Musky Brian
Posted 7/2/2015 6:41 AM (#774685 - in reply to #774684)

are you fishing a "good" lake? or fishing a lake that has some fish in it and expecting to catch them?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)