Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Natural Reproduction in "Stocked" lakes

Message Subject: Natural Reproduction in "Stocked" lakes
phselect
Posted 8/3/2015 9:14 PM (#778988)
Subject: Natural Reproduction in "Stocked" lakes

Here in MN (as in a few other states), in addition to our lakes with native Muskie populations, we have more and more lakes with introduced (stocked) populations as well where there was not originally a native population. I am curious as to how much natural reproduction occurs in these lakes (if any). If so, how many years of stocking does it take (generally) to get to that point? I realize that each fishery is different in regards to forage base, other native fish populations, lake size, depth, and structure, water quality, spawning habitat, etc., but do most of the "stocked" lakes get to the point where fish reproduce naturally, or are most of these lakes supported entirely by stocking?

Edited by phselect 8/3/2015 9:26 PM
jaultman
Posted 8/4/2015 10:57 AM (#779045 - in reply to #778988)
Subject: Re: Natural Reproduction in "Stocked" lakes

On many lakes the stocking programs have discontinued and the muskie populations have since been sustained by natural reproduction.
achotrod
Posted 8/11/2015 5:39 PM (#779991 - in reply to #778988)

From what Ive read in IL the chance of natural reproduction in stocked lakes is very slim. Mostly do to the lack of spawning habitat and abundance of bottom feeders.
lennyg3
Posted 8/18/2015 5:50 PM (#781000 - in reply to #778988)

It is my understanding that the DO levels play a major role in the survival of muskie fry, something many of the stocked lakes lack. The eggs also do not stick to structure/weeds like the eggs of a pike do, making them much more susceptible to being smothered with silt/sediment should there be heavy deposits of sediment from wind/waves/ or elevated water levels in say a river. I am certain that a percentage of the stocked lakes have all the necessary requirements to support reproduction. Of the lakes that have the required habitat, the length of time it takes will be dependent on the size/number of fish stocked, forage base, survival rate, ect... I would think that with sufficient stocking, 5-6 years in a smaller lake would be long enough to have a self sustaining, fishable population.
jaultman
Posted 8/19/2015 9:35 AM (#781063 - in reply to #781000)

lennyg3 - 8/18/2015 5:50 PM
I would think that with sufficient stocking, 5-6 years in a smaller lake would be long enough to have a self sustaining, fishable population.

What? 5-6 years is barely enough time for just some of the first batch of stocked fish to reach sexual maturity.
lennyg3
Posted 8/26/2015 6:22 PM (#782103 - in reply to #781063)

jaultman - 8/19/2015 10:35 AM

lennyg3 - 8/18/2015 5:50 PM
I would think that with sufficient stocking, 5-6 years in a smaller lake would be long enough to have a self sustaining, fishable population.

What? 5-6 years is barely enough time for just some of the first batch of stocked fish to reach sexual maturity.

I agree completely. 5-6 years of continuous stocking should ensure that there are fish capable of taking over where the stocking has left off.
jaultman
Posted 8/27/2015 8:30 AM (#782152 - in reply to #778988)

I see what you mean, misunderstood at first. Thought you meant 5 years after initial stocking there would be a fishable, sustaining population.

I'm thinking 16 - 20 years gives enough time for the first batch or two to reproduce (7 - 10 years), then for their offspring to reach desirable sizes (another 8 - 10 years).

I hope I get to experience a "new reservoir syndrome" at some point in my musky career. Like Vermilion circa 2000 or so.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)