Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> First Trolling motor

Reply New post
Message Subject: First Trolling motor
tmohler
Posted 4/21/2015 10:09 AM (#765729)
Subject: First Trolling motor

I have decided to get my first trolling motor and am leaning towards a Minn Kota Endura Max transom mount. However I'm undecided about a couple things. Should I go with a 50 or 55 lb thrust? Does it make a difference as far as battery life or speed? Also, should I go with a 36 or 42 inch shaft and does that make any difference in power? How will it hold up in 20 mph winds?
Fishysam
Posted 4/21/2015 10:45 AM (#765735 - in reply to #765729)
Subject: Re: First Trolling motor

Always get the largest motor possible with a digital maximizer. And length of the shaft is only needed to get the prop below the hull to grab and push water freely. If you want to have the controls higher up go longer.
curleytail
Posted 4/23/2015 7:09 AM (#766140 - in reply to #765729)
Subject: Re: First Trolling motor

What boat will you be using this for? That can make a difference in thrust necessary and shaft length (though I'm not too familiar with transom mount shaft lengths).

If the boat allows easy enough installation, have you considered a bow mount trolling motor? If you'll be using the boat for casting for muskies or most any fish while you work a weedline or other structure, a bow mount motor usually makes pulling the boat forward from the front easier than pushing it forward from the back. Transom mount trolling motors are usually used for pulling the boat in reverse and hovering over spots. More often used in slow walleye applications, though I can see where one would have a time and place while musky fishing.

Also, foot controlled bow mounts keep your hands free to fish if you plan to cast a lot.

Just something to consider.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)