Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: from Jonesi: !"Motor?We don't need no stinking motor!" Steve
- (Added by: mikie)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Bead above the Clevis

Message Subject: Bead above the Clevis
NathanH
Posted 4/17/2015 11:07 AM (#765266)
Subject: Bead above the Clevis

I'm starting to make my own Bucktails so I thought I would turn to the pros with my questions.

1. Is a bead above the clevis necessary? If so when?
2. What is the function of the bead above the clevis?
3. If you are placing a bead above the clevis should it be solid or hollow or doesn't it matter.
4. if you are putting a bead above the clevis what size should be used?
5. how does the bead impact spinning of the blades.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Edited by NathanH 4/17/2015 11:08 AM
bigbite
Posted 4/17/2015 11:53 AM (#765273 - in reply to #765266)
Subject: RE: Bead above the Clevis

1. Is a bead above the clevis necessary? If so when?
2. What is the function of the bead above the clevis?
3. If you are placing a bead above the clevis should it be solid or hollow or doesn't it matter.
4. if you are putting a bead above the clevis what size should be used?
5. how does the bead impact spinning of the blades.

1) I add them to all my bucktails.
2) I believe that it enhances the ability of the clevises to rotate by providing a good bearing surface.
3 & 5) I use a solid bead above and below. Again, I believe this helps the blades rotate without the necessity of giving them a jerk to start them rotating. I suppose the reality as to whether the bead should be a solid one above the clevises or not isn't that crucial because the force of a rotating clevis is really on the bead below it. As a matter of personal choice I prefer the clevis to rotate on two smooth surfaces so I will only use solid beads above and below the clevises. Hollow beads are not smooth around their holes, but cheaper to use. Hollow beads will also cause premature wear on clevises and could possible result in a blade falling off.
4) This is totally dependent upon shaft thickness, and size clevises and blades you intend to use on the bait.

Edited by bigbite 4/17/2015 11:59 AM
bbeaupre
Posted 4/17/2015 2:15 PM (#765284 - in reply to #765266)

My answers are slightly different than above

1. no, I never use one
2. stop blades from spinning as well as they do without one
3. dont
4.dont
5. badly

I used to use a small bead above and below and found that the ones I made without a bead spun much better. I also noticed that a slightly larger bead under the clevis is much better than a very small one.
ToddM
Posted 4/17/2015 9:05 PM (#765322 - in reply to #765266)
Subject: Re: Bead above the Clevis

I don't think the bead above helps spinning but it probably helps the clevise and blades from hanging up and tangling on a.cast. I use a 1/8" solid bead, bigger ones can be used but I have never had an issue with the 1/8" bead. I personally do not use a bead above.

Edited by ToddM 4/17/2015 9:06 PM
Reef Hawg
Posted 4/18/2015 3:34 PM (#765395 - in reply to #765266)

What Todd said. I run one simply because there is a very small chance that the clevis gets hung up in the wire end/turn at the top of the shaft(at least on my less than professional twists). That chance, albeit small, could be on THE cast, which you might never know. Has never affected the spinning of the blades on my lures.
jdsplasher
Posted 4/19/2015 6:31 AM (#765433 - in reply to #765395)

Nathan,; try to examine the truly best Buck tails on the market. Mepps come to mind!  There are others also!

For single blade spinners, I do NOT use a bead above the clevis. I feel, the added pressure against the clevis while retrieving just limits the spin.

But, for some reason, the bead above the clevis on dbl bladed Bucktails, seems to help the blades spin in a more uniform manor. For my dbl bladed, I'll use a small plastic bead above clevis.

Always use a solid bead below the clevis.

JD

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)