Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Brakes are Over-rated" DaveJ on way to Sab Bay Outing
- (Added by: Shep)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Which kind of air compressor?

Message Subject: Which kind of air compressor?
Musky 33
Posted 4/2/2015 1:51 PM (#763012)
Subject: Which kind of air compressor?

I'm New at this. Looking for advice. I bought an Iwata hp-c. I'm wondering which compressor to buy from Hobby Lobby. Sparmax tc-2000. Or sparmax 7c501-n windstorm I appreciate any help or comments. I post this question on a similar Facebook group of basement builders and no one will respond. Thanks Jeff
mnmusky
Posted 4/2/2015 2:20 PM (#763015 - in reply to #763012)
Subject: Re: Which kind of air compressor?

If noise isn't a factor, I'd get a nail gun sized compressor or bigger.
tons on Craigslist for cheap.
Muskers
Posted 4/2/2015 2:27 PM (#763016 - in reply to #763012)

Here is the kit I bought to start. I haven't had a complaint about this system. I have noticed if I want a higher pressure for spraying this small compressor may not keep up but I usually don't use high pressure.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/ABD-KIT-SP19-20.html#.VR2XrmB0y71

Paul
magicmusky
Posted 4/2/2015 3:33 PM (#763027 - in reply to #763012)

I with mnmusky. I just use my shop compressor. The noise is annoying, but if you buy one with a big enough tank, it won't kick on as often. Just be sure to use an in-line water separator. With that said, if I ever moved my operations to the basement, I would be looking for a remedy for the noise.
Trophyseeker50
Posted 4/2/2015 4:36 PM (#763034 - in reply to #763012)

I mean no offense when I say that I disagree with the above advice. Aside from price I don't think there is any upside to a nail gun compressor. More noise, less consistent pressure, inherently dirtier air.

Invest in the best you can afford and have it for life. I worked at a hobby shop 15 years ago and purchased 2 badger compressors that have so many running hours on them it is staggering.

Edited by Trophyseeker50 4/2/2015 4:37 PM
mnmusky
Posted 4/2/2015 6:02 PM (#763052 - in reply to #763012)

Dirtier air? Whaaa.
use 2 regulators and pressure is not an issue.
I use 2 on my iwata tigershark as well. My 60 gallon compressor with drier is better than my tigershark compressor handsdown. Now if your comparing a diaphragm type, I have no comment. Never used one.
Trophyseeker50
Posted 4/2/2015 7:39 PM (#763060 - in reply to #763012)

The compressors I have are diaphragm style. Tankless constant pressure. I have a trap on it. I have use my big compressor also and it's not bad but any style that has a tank is prone to condensation build up and eventually rust. Yes a trap takes care of that but the airbrush compressors are made for that intended job. Clean, quiet , consistent air.
magicmusky
Posted 4/2/2015 9:02 PM (#763064 - in reply to #763012)

Trophyseeker's work speaks for itself, if he says it is better, then I would listen. I don't airbrush enough to justify adding another compressor, so my tank compressor will be good enough for the time being. I can see mnmusky's point too, considering he is using a 60 gallon tank, that is a larger than average compressor.
Trophyseeker50
Posted 4/2/2015 9:24 PM (#763065 - in reply to #763012)

You can make most compressors work as long as you have a good regulator and moisture trap. I would also suggest an inline moisture trap. I have the paasche inline that gets cut into your braided line. It also serves as a way to lower pressure very incrementally for detail work.

Like I said before I mean no disrespect , it's just the question was what type of airbrush compressor to buy.
I respect joe and his work and for that matter his opinion. I have had 15-16 years of flawless performance from my compressors and would highly recommend them. I would hate for some one to get to the last step of a paint job and have a splatter due to pressure issues or a contaminant in the air.

Everyone who paints knows how hard it is to get through all the steps of a paint job without a slip. Having the best equipment possible Deffinetly helps
Musky 33
Posted 4/2/2015 9:38 PM (#763070 - in reply to #763012)

Thank you everyone for your advice. you have answered my question and I appreciate you taking the time to help a beginner. I Am very impressed with all the baits posted on this forum. Thanks Jeff
huntandfishwv
Posted 4/3/2015 7:17 AM (#763093 - in reply to #763070)

Don't rule out silent-aire compressor they are oil less and super quiet and I may add made in the usa if u need parts a guy in tx actually answers not some automated system I have had mine for 10+ years and it's fantastic.
Zib
Posted 4/3/2015 10:52 AM (#763125 - in reply to #763012)
Subject: RE: Which kind of air compressor?

If you want a quiet compressor (under 60 decibels) that you can use for more than just airbrushing then take a look at the California Air Tools compressor. Home Depot sells them through their website. Their tanks are aluminum so no worries about a rusty tank.

Edited by Zib 4/3/2015 10:54 AM
woodieb8
Posted 4/3/2015 11:01 AM (#763127 - in reply to #763012)

we run a 5hp oil belt driven in our shop never short with 60 gallon tank. . for guys with room and noise constraints they have come a long way with diaphragm compressers.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)