Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Living on the lake versus off the lake....

Message Subject: Living on the lake versus off the lake....
BigSlamer
Posted 4/5/2015 6:04 PM (#763494 - in reply to #763492)
Subject: Re: Living on the lake versus off the lake....

I live in northern Illinois, i always wanted to live on the fox chain, haha. I'm glad i fished it for a few years before making the decision. After being waked a thousands times every trip for 3 years and the 0 respect policy from ski boats, i decided I'm just gonna save up for an up-north cabin haha. Point of story, know area or lake before you buy...
meyer
Posted 4/5/2015 11:10 PM (#763534 - in reply to #761657)
Subject: RE: Living on the lake versus off the lake....

I know this is a loaded question and I've talked to a few realtors but. do you think having a budget of 260,000k but not necessarily spending that full amount will get a nice cottage on the water on a good musky lake that's not crowded and also which area would be good to buy in. I've stayed in pretty much all the towns so I really don't have a preference of which on to buy in. Wish I could say I've fished all the lakes though
dfkiii
Posted 4/6/2015 6:16 AM (#763542 - in reply to #763534)

meyer - 4/5/2015 11:10 PM

I know this is a loaded question and I've talked to a few realtors but. do you think having a budget of 260,000k but not necessarily spending that full amount will get a nice cottage on the water on a good musky lake that's not crowded and also which area would be good to buy in. I've stayed in pretty much all the towns so I really don't have a preference of which on to buy in. Wish I could say I've fished all the lakes though

I would say yes you could find something like that in Sawyer County, but it is really contingent on what your definition of a "nice cottage" is.
North of 8
Posted 4/6/2015 7:05 AM (#763545 - in reply to #761657)

Yes, I live a Class A musky lake in Oneida County and that amount would buy a nice cottage. Not on some very popular lakes but then they are the ones with tons of boat traffic.
vegas492
Posted 4/6/2015 9:46 AM (#763576 - in reply to #761657)

I've done a lot of digging around the realty sites for Vilas county and $260,000 would get you a cabin on the water. Probably with neighbors close by and probably more of a cabin than a nicer house. I did find a few exceptions, though, where $275,000 got great looking houses and properties.

$150,000 off of the water gets a very nice cabin, with large garage and 5+ acres of land next to dozens of great lakes.
Clark A
Posted 4/6/2015 6:47 PM (#763652 - in reply to #761657)

I've seen a nice house in Rhinlander with a huge garage for $89,000. You could put a lot of toys in the garage for $60k. I will hopefully live long enough to at least enjoy a spring/summer/fall in the Northwoods.
KenK
Posted 4/7/2015 8:04 AM (#763736 - in reply to #761657)

Check out real estate in the area between the Minocqua area and the Hayward area. You can find waterfront homes for around $200,000 on Class A Musky waters.

Edited by KenK 4/7/2015 8:32 AM
vegas492
Posted 4/7/2015 8:39 AM (#763745 - in reply to #761657)

I've been looking that way, but haven't seen too much that caught my eye.

Plus, I view Conover/Eagle River as sort of a home town. Kind of a sentimental thing. I venture over to the Boulder Junction area to fish, but I love the Conover area.
KenK
Posted 4/7/2015 9:10 AM (#763753 - in reply to #761657)

I loved the Eagle River - Conover area too! It was where I cut my teeth musky fishing, but when the time came to finally buy, there was no way I could make it work. After looking through hundreds of listings and then developing my short list, I bought in Price county. It was about a third of what similar properties in Vilas or Oneida would run. That was in 1999 and I never looked back! Can't beat catching a musky off the pier, we normally get at least one per year!
jonnysled
Posted 4/7/2015 9:26 AM (#763757 - in reply to #763753)

find a short-sale listing ... there are many of them happening in the Northwoods. buyers market and money is cheap ...
meyer
Posted 4/7/2015 7:39 PM (#763879 - in reply to #761657)

Thank you for the replies. I've been keeping my out for awhile now just hoping I find a deal in Vilas county on a good musky lake.
AndrewR
Posted 4/7/2015 9:20 PM (#763906 - in reply to #761657)

I'd prefer to have both options at the same time, but my focus is more on location and property type rather than the quality of the lake. If I stayed on the same lake all the time I'd get bored easily and probably not fish as much, period..... I like to be located a bit outside of town and away from tourists, in the woods, but on a smaller acre lake that I can honestly call my personal backyard and still enjoy, and have convenient access to everything else I will need from nearby.

I currently get the best of both worlds. I'm in an old house on a small lake west of Minocqua, but within a 5-10 minute drive from town. 3 season (more vacation home/old cabin type), 3 car garage, but basic otherwise and the simple life. I'm young and with few responsibilities so it's great for me and someday I plan to knock it down and rebuild new on the property. Here, I have two major nearby highways so that I can trailer the boats in any direction I want. I am located in a peaceful and quiet forest so I have few people or other houses to ever look at other than our neighbors as we both use a shared driveway. The good life to me is here: Waking up daily and overlooking gorgeous little lake that never gets fished and is teeming with my pet fish, drinking a cup of morning coffee on the patio deck and reminding myself daily, "Beats the hell outta crummy Chicago...."

The downside to this situation I have however is the house is only a 3-season, and we are located in the part of town that is currently considered to be off the grid for internet service by most providers (so I can't be here full time nor work as much (job requires 'net access))......... with this situation and whatever other services/amenities can't be had, being in a residential area would be more ideal...... but hey, I'll take the morning views I get.
meyer
Posted 4/8/2015 9:56 AM (#763989 - in reply to #761657)

Andrew thanks for your post I might have to consider properties like that. The biggest reason why I would want to be on a quality musky lake is I have roughly a 300 mile drive and that I would be going to my future cabin on long 3 and 4 day weekends twice a month and I don't think I would want to keep trailering my boat around to different lakes all the time.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)