Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Initial Outboard Starting Issues

Reply New post
Message Subject: Initial Outboard Starting Issues
Serpant
Posted 3/23/2015 3:56 PM (#761124)
Subject: Initial Outboard Starting Issues

Hey guys, having problems when first starting my 115 Johnson 4-stroke. Started last July up at LOTW and continued up to now. It doesn't fire right away, but once it does, no issues the rest of the day. Starts right up and runs awesome, as it always has. But once I let it rest overnight or longer, it has the starting issues. Sometimes the only way to get it going is keep grinding the starter until it fires. I had oil changed, spark plugs changed out, fuel filter changed, changed the female fuel line adapter and now just replaced the fuel line and ball float. I prime it, watch fuel fill the filter, and then the gas level drops to a certain point. Am I losing fuel pressure? Idle throttle set to low? Any ideas? Also, and probably a dumb question, but can you flood a 4-stroke? Reason I ask this is because it backfired on me last weekend when I was trying to start in the driveway.

Thanks
Chris

Edited by Serpant 3/23/2015 3:58 PM
kjgmh
Posted 3/23/2015 4:14 PM (#761127 - in reply to #761124)
Subject: Re: Initial Outboard Starting Issues

Your motor is EFI, hard to flood unless something is wrong. Do you hear the fuel pump run when the key is turned on? Make sure the fuse in the small wire by the battery that goes to the motor is not bad.
Serpant
Posted 3/23/2015 4:49 PM (#761134 - in reply to #761127)

I will check that fuse. And the pump is running when I turn the key. Thanks man.
Reef Hawg
Posted 3/23/2015 5:35 PM (#761142 - in reply to #761124)
Subject: RE: Initial Outboard Starting Issues

I had an issue with my Yamaha 90HP 4 stroke last year while in Canada. I would lose power while on plane, eventually killing the motor if i didn't prime the bulb while driving. We suspected it to be a bad bulb, but it was typically tight in the morning. We then assumed it was the pickup in the fuel tank. I have a (10?) micron fuel water separator as well, but everything checked out clean and tight. When I got home i did some digging and soon realized the fuel filter associated with the VST(vapor separator tank) was extremely dirty. I replced this filter and also the primer bulb to correct the issue. You mentioned changing the fuel filter. Make sure there isn't another filter in the engine. If your motor runs just fine after it starts, you might check the primer bulb too.

I'm not sure if this information could/would help you as your motor may not even contain similar parts, but it would be worth a check.

On a side note, I have a 2007 Mercury jet outboard. It runs very well. My issue is cold starts. Luckily it has electric start or the number of pulls involved with starting would be ridiculous. I have to push/pull the choke several times until it turns over, and then continue to do so until it runs. There are days that I don't know if it is going to start. I've changed plugs, cleaned filter, changed fuel line/bulb. My old 1983 yamaha 40 starts right up, and never skips a beat. This merc runs great once it is started, but getting it there can be a bit of a chore at times, and nearly impossible for anyone but me or someone intimate with it.
Serpant
Posted 4/3/2015 3:07 PM (#763172 - in reply to #761124)

Just if you guys were curious, it was my idle switch was shot. Not a cheap part to fix. Wasn't getting enough fuel to start the motor right away. Thanks to you who responded. Good news I replaced my fuel filter, oil changed, plugs good, new fuel line and primer ball and female end to the motor. I guess this was the next thing down the line, but like hell if I know how to change that...ha

Chris
jonnysled
Posted 4/3/2015 5:04 PM (#763185 - in reply to #763172)

check and see if you have a cracked reed cage ...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)