Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I didn't even have the chance to pull it away from that one!!!
- (Added by: Muskie Treats)

Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Club Information and Announcements -> Thanks Tom Gelb

Message Subject: Thanks Tom Gelb
BigMo
Posted 4/7/2015 11:37 PM (#763921)
Subject: Thanks Tom Gelb

I just got back from listening to Tom Gelb at our monthly C&R Musky Club meeting.

His take on muskie fishing and the data he presents in support of that is fascinating. I believe he is the ultimate technician and an awesome grinder. Beyond that, he was very engaging. I'm going to read his book again (and again......) with a completely different perspective.

There was a thread started a few days ago about "how to get really good". He is the best answer, personified.

Thanks, Tom, for being with our club tonight!

WiscoMusky
Posted 4/7/2015 11:54 PM (#763924 - in reply to #763921)
Subject: Re: Thanks Tom Gelb

awesome post. I grew up in the Appleton area, and wish I could belong to the C&R club, because of awesome seminars/people that come through that area!!! Tom Gelb is a legend.
WiscoMusky
Posted 4/8/2015 12:00 AM (#763925 - in reply to #763921)

Also.... #OnWisconsin
CiscoKid
Posted 4/8/2015 7:02 AM (#763936 - in reply to #763921)
Subject: RE: Thanks Tom Gelb

I enjoyed his talk as well.

"There are areas in a lake that I call "special locations." These are areas that never appear to have any recognizable characteristics or food chain inhabitants. But at specific and usually repeatable times over the years, they will be very productive. The only way to discover any of these areas of the lake, and where the zone is located throughout the seasons, is to spend lots of intelligent time on the water. I know of no shortcut to this"

Not only did he touch on this, he also mentioned he has no explanation for these spots. For a guy as methodical as he is that is saying something.

Lots of little tidbits he threw out there if you were paying attention, and even more if you looked at his data he presented.
ToddM
Posted 4/8/2015 9:32 AM (#763980 - in reply to #763921)

He is a great fisherman and speaker, wish I could get him to come to Fib land to speak!
ESOX Maniac
Posted 4/9/2015 8:04 AM (#764171 - in reply to #763980)

ToddM - 4/8/2015 9:32 AM

He is a great fisherman and speaker, wish I could get him to come to Fib land to speak!

Tom is an incredible person and muskie fisherman, anyone who he regards as a friend is fortunate indeed. I was fortunate enough to meet him at his 1st book signing at Musky Hunter. We were there before he arrived, actually before the store opened, a pre-birthday gift from my wife. Yes, she understands it too.....! I recognized him when he pulled in, and offered to help him unload his books..so I got to spend some one on one w/him before the offical opening and signing. I asked questions he had already addressed in the book, he patiently answered them and we discussed WR class fish, every word still sticks in my mind.

The nugget: "Al, 99% of the problem with big/record class fish is finding them..if there's one, there's likely more, stay on them."

Yes, Todd. Any club is lucky to get him as a speaker...the only next best thing is his book.....4 lakes, so little time.

Have fun!
Al
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)