Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> I-Pilot Link

Reply New post
Message Subject: I-Pilot Link
double J
Posted 3/24/2015 9:16 PM (#761307)
Subject: I-Pilot Link

Hi guys I have a question for everyone. I have a terrova 80 I pilot. I want to upgrade to the I-Pilot Link. Is it worth it? Does the follow the contour feature work as claimed? On my Ipilot now when I use the auto pilot and set a direction if the wind is blowing im all over the lake. It almost seems like a useless function. If I spend the $700 which is a lot of money for me is it worth it. Will I be able to follow the contour or will the wind push me all over? That is really the only feature I can't do now. I know I can store a lot more tracks and way points but I don't use those features. For $700 I can spend a week on LOTW
Thank you for any insight
muskyhunter47
Posted 3/25/2015 5:24 AM (#761325 - in reply to #761307)
Subject: Re: I-Pilot Link

I upgraded a few years ago.it follow s the contour you will need the lake map chip. You can also set your speed with the remote. I like the lcd screen tells you your speed so you don't have to look at your depth finder to see how fast you are going. As for getting pushed around by the wind you still will I don't have problems but i think it's more of your hull design
double J
Posted 3/25/2015 8:20 AM (#761341 - in reply to #761307)

I have a brand new ranger fisherman 618T. I don't think its the hull design. Im talking with a 7-10 mile wind im pushed all over the place unless im going straight into the wind its not very helpful. I realize I need the chips and I have the hummingbird unit its updated and ready to go.
Will the I-Pilot link hold half way decent over the contour or is the wind going to blow me 20 feet away?
Further North
Posted 3/25/2015 3:59 PM (#761381 - in reply to #761341)

As long as you are moving at a steady pace and the wind is not changing speed constantly, you'll stay pretty close - as close as you could driving the motor manually...and you'll be fishing, not watching the motor and fish finder.

IMO, most people underpower their trolling motors - if we want to avoid getting knocked off course, we should give the motor every advantage we can - which is why I run a 36 volt system vs. a 24. There's more power there, it is more responsive and it lasts longer.
ranger618
Posted 3/25/2015 7:49 PM (#761410 - in reply to #761307)

If the auto pilot is not working well for you, try the legacy auto pilot function or increase your speed. If you are trying to go too slow the motor doesn't have enough power to stay on course.
I can't say if it is worth $700 to upgrade for you, but I really like my i-pilot link and I use the follow the contour a lot. i also like being able to run the TM from my graph.
double J
Posted 3/26/2015 10:03 PM (#761625 - in reply to #761307)

That you ranger618 im not to sure what the legacy auto pilot function is? is that when you hold down the button and there is no circle around the "N"? I'll give it a shot next time im out. I'd really like to have the follow the contour mode and also to run it from the graph. I would like to hook it up to the back locator so I don't have to move from the seat in my tiller. Thanks again guys for all the help.
ranger618
Posted 3/27/2015 6:58 PM (#761816 - in reply to #761307)

The legacy autopilot function works off a compass like the older autopilot motors. The advanced autopilot works off GPS.
I'm not sure how you change from advanced to legacy on an i-pilot, I have the link. But i believe you are right about no circle around the N = legacy autopilot.
I'm sure that almost anyone would like the link more than the standard i-pilot, but I can't say whether or not it is worth the cost to you.
Nershi
Posted 3/29/2015 2:26 PM (#762157 - in reply to #761307)

You can use the ipilot on the new autopilot (circle around the N) and ride your boat slightly into the wind and stay on a path. I call if 'surfing' the wind. The motor will adjust for the wind as your boat shifts because the guiding system follows a plot of points. It takes some practice learning how to adjust your motor and you need to adjust your speed according to the wind speed. Once you get it down you will be able to work structure as slow or as quick as you want. You usually have to adjust the angle of the motor every 2-3 casts The casters need to adjust cast angles according to how you want to work the structure. I have an 18.5 aluminum boat with an 80lb ipilot and I can fish 15-25 mph depending on the water body size on the downwind shore.

I considered the link but it doesn't seem practical on most waters I fish because they have such erratic break lines.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)