Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> planning a summer musky trip from ITALY

Message Subject: planning a summer musky trip from ITALY
Trollindad
Posted 3/16/2015 8:23 AM (#759880 - in reply to #759623)
Subject: Re: planning a summer musky trip from ITALY

lets lip this around I am going to be in Rome in November...... how close are big pike?
Thanks!
@castaway@
Posted 3/16/2015 9:52 AM (#759901 - in reply to #759880)

I live in Milan, 6 hours by car.. There are a few big pikes lakes around Rome, with very good fishing there, but i obviously dont fish them!!
If you want to come and visit me thats primetime for big pikes.. I have got the best italian lakes for big fish an hour or two away from home;-)

MuskyMo
Posted 3/16/2015 10:24 AM (#759903 - in reply to #759901)

Coming that far, you have to do CANADA, period. Lake of the woods, eagle, or the french river would be my recommendation. Get a guide and you will have a ball in anyone of these 3 places.
sjb42
Posted 3/16/2015 11:34 AM (#759910 - in reply to #759623)
Subject: RE: planning a summer musky trip from ITALY

Congrats on planning a trip to North America for some muskie fishing,if I had to pick one area I would go to LOTW,the scenery is great and fishing is too! Be sure to hire a good guide,LOTW is huge and can be overwhelming to newcomer. There are a lot big fish and numbers there too, muskie and pike. Wiley Point lodge is where id stay,you can fish and they can serve the meals.Where ever you go, good luck and practice catch and release. Take some photos of your catch so you can get a replica made,again good luck with your trip.
spoonpluggergino
Posted 3/23/2015 2:42 PM (#761108 - in reply to #759623)

Buon giorno Davide
If you are going to come all the way from Italia your best bet will be Lake of the Woods, do not forget it's one million acres, you definitely will need a guide. The lake has lots of muskies and plenty of 50 plus inches. Other lakes like St. Lawrence and Ottawa river they do have huge muskies, but due to very clear water because of zebra mussels they are very deep and hard to catch by just casting, most of these muskies are caught trolling by big boats. One of other places I recommend would be Georgian bay very big and definitely you need a guide. I have many friends that fish many muskie lakes I will try to find more information. I fish Lake of the woods in the summer month's July, fish rock bars and weed beds especially the one's located in little shore bays and shore cuts with small boulders and chunk rocks

Numero uno e Lake Of The Woods
Numero due e Georgian Bay
Buona fortuna

Gino Testone
WiscoMusky
Posted 3/23/2015 3:56 PM (#761125 - in reply to #759623)

I would recommend these two lodges:

http://www.centurylodge.com/ on eagle lake or
http://www.tamarackislandwildernesslodge.com/ on lake of the woods
spoonpluggergino
Posted 3/23/2015 4:55 PM (#761136 - in reply to #759623)

LOTW these lodges I stayed and they offer the American Plan and this area is really easy to fish with lots of big fish
Tamarack mentioned above is one of them the other is grassynarrowslodge.com and newmoonlodge.ca/, they are located in the Sabaskong Bay area and Miles Bay area, these are very affordable and in a very good location, lots of big Northern Pike too. Also even if tyou get a guide I would purchase a map of this area you can get LOTW map # 6216 at thornebros.com
Gino
muskyrat
Posted 3/23/2015 5:15 PM (#761139 - in reply to #759623)

Or you could go to NYC have a good time and fish Greenwood lake. Gave up two 40lb plus fish last year. I`ll take you out for a jar of Mamas sauce.
timhutson1
Posted 3/24/2015 7:13 AM (#761207 - in reply to #759623)
Subject: RE: planning a summer musky trip from ITALY

Seriously, Don't go to St. Clair. You will be missing out on what the real musky experience is. For that I would go for LOTW first then Eagle or Rowen would be my next choices. I have been to both and there is no doubt that LOTW is a much better experience. Lots of fish and still great shot at a trophy. I would not be planning a trip for my friends to the Detroit/Windsor area if this is going to be your only trip to musky fish. The fishing is very much different then the typical musky lake and the city is something I don't look forward to traveling to. I only go there because I have that lives near. That would be my advice.
achotrod
Posted 3/26/2015 10:48 AM (#761485 - in reply to #759623)

My first thought was you have the best chance on LSC but it really doesnt capture the true muskie experience. Like mentioned LOTW or Eagle would be my first choices but I also love fishing northern Wisconsin.
dtaijo174
Posted 3/26/2015 1:03 PM (#761535 - in reply to #759623)

Once in a lifetime... Rowan.
LOTW = scenery, action and chance at a 50". can't go wrong here.
LSC = Great fishing. Giants and action. nothing to look at... So superb fishing, but I think you miss out on something.
Rowan = Epic trip. complete isolation from other anglers, amazing scenery, giant fish, decent action... Fly-in only so it can get expensive. Book a guided trip with Don @ Nielsen's lodge.

I have not fished the St. Lawrence or Ottawa River so I cannot provide an opinion.
muskyrat
Posted 3/28/2015 8:12 AM (#761879 - in reply to #759623)

Is he sight seeing or trying to complete a dream? Don`t let someone from the USA or Canada tell you what Muskie fishing should be all about because they don`t know. We live stress full lives and relish trips away to the remote north to get away from everyday life. The fishing is not better in those areas. Just a better experience for us. You however live in beautiful and relaxed Italy. If I was you I would want to make sure I caught a Muskie first. You can easily go to Eagle lake and get zero fish! In fact that's a probability. LSC is not beautiful but it`s not bad. It`s a big open lake with nice color water. You don`t have to stay in downtown Detroit. Seflridge is fine. Belle river is fine. It`s not like people have not skunked on LOTW either. One cold front and it`s over. Your once in a lifetime shot at a Muskie ruined. That can happen on LSC but you will still get at least one Muskie for sure.
lennyg3
Posted 3/31/2015 11:58 PM (#762766 - in reply to #759623)

Take 2 weeks. Start your trip by going to LSC for 5 days and get the monkey off your back, then finish the remainder of the trip at LOTW... Solves it all imo. If it's your one chance to come here catch numbers of fish, have a real shot at a monster, then experience the beauty of a shield lake with fantastic fishing as well..

Edited by lennyg3 4/1/2015 12:01 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)