Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> List Price vs Actual Sale Price

Reply New post
Message Subject: List Price vs Actual Sale Price
North of 8
Posted 3/17/2015 8:11 AM (#760085)
Subject: List Price vs Actual Sale Price

Recently retired and want to buy a new boat. It will be a straight cash deal, no trade in. When buying a car, you have a sticker price and it is pretty easy to find the dealer cost and you typically pay less than sticker. I have paid for Consumer Reports printouts that show price/list for every option and it has been very helpful.

Any ball park figures on what percentage dealers typically come down from list price? Only new boat I bought was a pontoon, previous year model and the dealer came down quite a bit but that was during the recession and they wanted to reduce inventory. Any help would be appreciated.
muskyhunter47
Posted 3/17/2015 9:03 AM (#760097 - in reply to #760085)
Subject: Re: List Price vs Actual Sale Price

Don't know what the percentage Is but if you order a boat your going to pay more then if you buy one they have in stock. Then if you buy a year old boat can get even better deals.
Yooper Padre
Posted 3/20/2015 6:18 AM (#760616 - in reply to #760085)

Dittos on checking out last year's models; they're offering some very good prices right now. Actually, any boat you order should cost you less (considerably less) than one you buy off the floor since the dealer has no money invested in it and pays no interest on it. He essentially acts as a broker and makes additional money on prep charges. Typical mark-ups, excluding prep charges, range from $5k on a $25k boat to $10k or more on a $50k model. On an order, I'd be looking for a discount of at least $2,500 on the lower end, to no less than $6k on the upper range. Shop around.

Fr. K
kap
Posted 3/20/2015 8:46 PM (#760758 - in reply to #760085)

make an offer. if you shop around you will see prices vary, even if you order one
achotrod
Posted 3/21/2015 10:22 AM (#760802 - in reply to #760085)

Some places dont negotiate at all like Bass Pro on the boat but they have other incentives like electronics and such.
Paul S
Posted 3/22/2015 6:55 AM (#760915 - in reply to #760085)

The more I research, the easier my decision has become. Buy gently used (1-3 years old). 1st year depreciation is estimated somewhere around 20%. I see plenty of 40K bassboats sold for in the low 30s after 1 year. I'd love to start with my motor from day 1 but new boats are just ridiculously expensive.
Yooper Padre
Posted 3/23/2015 8:22 AM (#761041 - in reply to #760085)
Subject: RE: List Price vs Actual Sale Price

A few examples of some good deals.

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/boa/4912536451.html

https://greenbay.craigslist.org/boa/4906405293.html

https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/boa/4915399077.html

http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/classifieds.asp?a=99307

Fr. K
Jeremy
Posted 3/24/2015 12:32 PM (#761251 - in reply to #760085)
Subject: RE: List Price vs Actual Sale Price

Maybe I shouldn't be admitting this out loud (*G*) but when I ordered up a new Ranger in 2012 after a garage fire took my '97 681, it never occurred to me to counter the price that was quoted.

Not so with auto's, don't get me wrong but with a good dealer whom I trust in the Twin Cities and who went out of his way to speak with a couple Ranger people about putting a low-water option on a new Z118 ("Nope, we don't do it on that boat!" - "Well why not??") I didn't feel I wanted to go there.

"A fool n' his money are easily parted" - yep but sometimes you go with your gut. I trust the dealer who has been very fair with me in the past. Name withheld obviously. Good people.

Good luck John, I hope you get the rig you're after. It's more fun than buying a car...

Jeremy.

PSAGuy
Posted 4/3/2015 2:54 PM (#763170 - in reply to #760085)

I have purchased 3 brand new Rangers over the years (most recent a 620 Fisherman). I find the boat price is pretty fixed but any dealer installed accessories can be used to your advantage to get a deal done. Things like covers, add-on electronics, and even service can be worked into a deal.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)