Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Why can't I keep em hooked!

Message Subject: Why can't I keep em hooked!
Hatrackr
Posted 10/8/2015 9:53 PM (#787855)
Subject: Why can't I keep em hooked!

Was out tonight and got 2 to eat, first one I saw grab my phantom and I set it home, 2 head shakes and she came off. Just after dark I got clobbered again, set the hooks and again I felt it head shake and out it came. I sharpened my hooks before I went out and after losing the first one, is it the weight of the lure that makes it easy to shake or am I doing something wrong? I love my gliders and they have been my best bait so far but I'd like to get one in the net and have had this problem on both phantoms and hellhounds.
WiscoMusky
Posted 10/8/2015 11:01 PM (#787861 - in reply to #787855)
Subject: Re: Why can't I keep em hooked!

One big key with hard body baits is to T the hooks, so when they are flat against the bait the hooks are pointing off the body. Also, With gliders I find that you really need to concentrate on cranking the real once you set the hook. It's hard to get really good hook sets with gliders because there is so much slack with each twitch, so burning your real after the hookset will help to keep them pinned.
lehighmuskies
Posted 10/9/2015 6:06 AM (#787870 - in reply to #787855)

one thing I learned with glider don't be afraid to upgrade to a bigger size hook
jaultman
Posted 10/9/2015 7:22 AM (#787878 - in reply to #787855)

I've had days that I've missed four strikes in a row on bucktails - good strikes. Good hookset, no slack line, etc, but they still shake it right away.

WiscoMusky gave a good tip about reeling like crazy right away. I just wanted to point out that sometimes you can do everything right and still have a streak of "bad luck".
Yooper Padre
Posted 10/9/2015 7:25 AM (#787879 - in reply to #787855)

I've noticed that in the excitement of a strike a lot of guys forget to set the hook. Yes, the fish often sets the hook when it grabs the lure and runs, but usually not as deeply as you want. I've seen the same thing with bass, pike, salmon, even walleye. An old timer once told me, "When you set those hooks, cross her eyes real good."

Fr. K

Edited by Yooper Padre 10/9/2015 7:27 AM
tretsven6
Posted 10/9/2015 7:25 AM (#787880 - in reply to #787855)

I believe What jaultman said is exactly right, sometimes you do everything right and they still find a way to get off. And it does seem to go in streaks
jlong
Posted 10/9/2015 7:34 AM (#787883 - in reply to #787880)

Did the fish hit on the pause?  Usually that leads to a nice head-shot and front hook placement.  If you are working the bait aggressively and they bite from behind... those snoot hooked fish can be tricky to keep pinned.

I agree with the others than cranking like mad to ensure no slack line is always a benefit as well. 

ToddM
Posted 10/9/2015 8:40 AM (#787892 - in reply to #787855)

Depends on how they hit it. Sometimes they hit and don't clamp down, grab gingerly from behind, hard to keep hooked. I do well with those round bend black nickel hooks. Often times the fish sets it themselves. They just seem to be very sharp.and always penetrate.
Hatrackr
Posted 10/9/2015 8:40 AM (#787893 - in reply to #787855)

It did hit on the pause, I could see that one didn't inhale the bait but I did drop the hammer when I set the hook. Maybe I'm not reeling enough when I set the hook. I am going to get a size larger on the hooks and see if that helps. I don't know what's worse, not seeing a fish for all of August or getting bit at least once on my last 5 times out and not getting them to the net!
ShutUpNFish
Posted 10/9/2015 8:43 AM (#787894 - in reply to #787855)

Exactly why I hate gliders and refuse to use them anymore....TOO MUCH SLACK LINE! Ultimately though, in any case using any lure casting or trolling; I have always said that its all in how the fish strikes the bait. Sharp hooks or not, its usually always up to the fish. I much rather use a jerkbait than a glider any day.
happy hooker
Posted 10/9/2015 9:38 AM (#787901 - in reply to #787894)

How stiff is the tip of your rod,,,you may want to try a softer tip on one of your other rods stiff tips tend to put slack in the line because they straighten fast on a jump or handshake.
You may just have the form of fish handling that would be better with a slightly softer tip that keeps it's flex more during the battle.
Nershi
Posted 10/9/2015 9:39 AM (#787902 - in reply to #787855)

It happens, even if you do everything right. You gotta roll with the punches. It definitely goes in streaks. I lost seven in a row near the start of the season, big fish too. This year was the year of lost fish for me. Makes landing one all the more better.
pklingen
Posted 10/10/2015 5:26 AM (#787991 - in reply to #787855)

sometimes it just happens no matter what you do right, crap happens! i do believe just like a bunch have said that's it is how they hit it. i have seen people in my boat using there own stuff that i know the hooks aren't no where near sharp enough for my liking and they get fish in holding the rod up high, very tight drag, fish jumping all over the place, and its like a tug of war. but they still stay pinned! don't get stressed out over it and enjoy the ride.
Beaver
Posted 10/10/2015 10:25 PM (#788086 - in reply to #787991)

I've gone to bigger split rings on all of my 8"+ lures so that the hook hangs farther from the body of the lure making it harder for them to use the weight of the lure as leverage. I learned that from some salt water fishermen, and it works well.
Hatrackr
Posted 10/12/2015 10:29 AM (#788250 - in reply to #787855)

Thanks the tips guys! I didn't make it out this weekend but will be out next Saturday or Sunday to try again. I have a local guy who makes rigs and leaders bringing me some new hooks to swap out and I will give the larger split rings a go. I use a heavy action rod most of the time mixing in an extra heavy for the really big stuff with the weight of the phantoms I'm not sure I want to go much lighter! I need to work on keeping my rod tip lower as I've always had my rod tip high when fighting other fish and I'm probably not reeling fast enough after setting the hook. Hopefully I will have my first musky pic to post this weekend!
h2os2t
Posted 10/12/2015 10:12 PM (#788358 - in reply to #788250)

Another thing you can do is put on 2 split rings(Front), it drops the hook down and rotates it. It also lessens the leverage the fish gets.
Aceboogie
Posted 10/13/2015 9:41 PM (#788476 - in reply to #787855)

Something that i have practiced and done for years with good results is setting the hook twice. Set hook reel down and set hook again. Works well for fish with real boney mouths. Not needed for fish with softer mouth ie bass.
muskie! nut
Posted 10/14/2015 7:29 AM (#788482 - in reply to #787855)

I'm thinking that if those muskies didn't try so hard to get off, we would be fishing for them.
Musky952
Posted 10/14/2015 11:40 AM (#788524 - in reply to #787855)

Thank god I'm not the only one. I have had two (one very big) fish hit my lures this year with solid hook sets but then get off. It is probably the most frustrating thing regarding musky fishing. You work so hard and then lose a fish in this manner and it just kills you. Like others have said it really depends on how the musky hits.
Chemi
Posted 10/14/2015 12:05 PM (#788527 - in reply to #788524)

I think a really big fish can get your lure clenched so tightly in its teeth your hook set doesn't budge it, so it never gets hooked. Especially rubber baits.
Musky952
Posted 10/14/2015 2:29 PM (#788550 - in reply to #788527)

Chemi - 10/14/2015 12:05 PM

I think a really big fish can get your lure clenched so tightly in its teeth your hook set doesn't budge it, so it never gets hooked. Especially rubber baits.

This is an angle I have never thought of.

Thanks!
muskidiem
Posted 10/14/2015 3:01 PM (#788554 - in reply to #788550)

Musky952 - 10/14/2015 2:29 PM

Chemi - 10/14/2015 12:05 PM

Had this happen right in front of my eyes with a 39"er. Nailed the hookset, fish just opened jaws and swam off. Very anti climatic
Hatrackr
Posted 10/14/2015 4:14 PM (#788564 - in reply to #788524)

Musky952 - 10/14/2015 11:40 AM

Thank god I'm not the only one. I have had two (one very big) fish hit my lures this year with solid hook sets but then get off. It is probably the most frustrating thing regarding musky fishing. You work so hard and then lose a fish in this manner and it just kills you. Like others have said it really depends on how the musky hits.

Yea, that's about where I am at! I decided in July that I wanted to musky fish and have learned a lot this summer and fall and have been so close so many times. I almost scored on a low 40's 15 minutes into my first time out and followed that with a month of not seeing a fish. Now I am seeing 1 or multiple fish almost every time out and have developed "my spots" and have great confidence in my hellhounds and phantoms. I'll be at it until ice up trying to get one in the net, hopefully the cooler weather gets em to eat a little deeper.
Musky952
Posted 10/15/2015 2:09 PM (#788700 - in reply to #788564)

Hatrackr - 10/14/2015 4:14 PM

Musky952 - 10/14/2015 11:40 AM

Yea, that's about where I am at! I decided in July that I wanted to musky fish and have learned a lot this summer and fall and have been so close so many times. I almost scored on a low 40's 15 minutes into my first time out and followed that with a month of not seeing a fish. Now I am seeing 1 or multiple fish almost every time out and have developed "my spots" and have great confidence in my hellhounds and phantoms. I'll be at it until ice up trying to get one in the net, hopefully the cooler weather gets em to eat a little deeper.

I sadly have to end my fall sooner than I was expecting. Though it is for a necessary reason I am still very sad. Got a new (used) boat this year and it needs to get some new floorboards/carpet/leather. But she will be looking fresh next spring.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)