Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> figure 8 hook setting

Message Subject: figure 8 hook setting
Dave T.
Posted 4/5/2015 1:43 PM (#763469)
Subject: figure 8 hook setting

I know this topic has been discussed before many times, but im still confused..

I found most people say to set back into the fish, but all the shows i watch on t.v, it seems the majority of the time they are just setting forward, or whatever direction they are pulling the baits..

and then keeping pressure and walking the fish around the boat.

so which is it? set back into the fish, or continue the direction you were figure 8ing when the fish strikes, and keep a lot of pressure and walk it to the net?

thanks

Dave
ToddM
Posted 4/5/2015 4:06 PM (#763484 - in reply to #763469)
Subject: Re: figure 8 hook setting

Depends too on how the fish eats the bait you don't want to set back into a fish that nipped the bait. Lead with pressure on fish like that, try to keep them from turning. Set back onto a fish that grabs the bait good.
bturg
Posted 4/5/2015 4:06 PM (#763485 - in reply to #763469)

It depends where in the oval or eight that the fish hits. Both are effective in the right situation and both will likely fail when used at the wrong time.
happy hooker
Posted 4/5/2015 4:08 PM (#763486 - in reply to #763469)
Subject: RE: figure 8 hook setting

I think it's reflexes,,,if Jet Li throws a jab at me I should block it but won't react in time and fall down messed up. I should set the hook back into the fish too but I never react in time and usually get surprised when after so many follows in a day this one finally ate.
Not to.mention eyesight I don't always see when they grab it especially if it's dark water or dark skies. But instead feel it.
If you have the control and composure set it back into them I think that's the best option.

Edited by happy hooker 4/5/2015 4:25 PM
Chuckin Baits
Posted 4/5/2015 6:11 PM (#763497 - in reply to #763469)
Subject: RE: figure 8 hook setting

Both work and I have always went with setting the hook back into the fish. However, there are some drawbacks to this technique. One problem is it often leads to the fish wallowing and headshaking at your feet without a decent way to control them. It can also lead to slack in the line when you decide to turn them around or lead them. Another problem is it often raises their head to the surface where bad things can happen.

This year I am going to just continue with the eight and set it forward. When you think about a fish eating way from the boat, how are you setting the hook? Pretty tough to set it back into them, but we'll see what the results are. Like others have said, every situation is different and sometimes the fish hook themselves.
RyanJoz
Posted 4/5/2015 6:16 PM (#763499 - in reply to #763469)

I have lost more fish from setting the hook back into fish than by setting the hook straight up. So many fish lost from setting back it is not even funny.
tolle141
Posted 4/5/2015 6:18 PM (#763500 - in reply to #763469)

personally getting them on the eight starts well before by making sure your hooks are super sharp. every fish that's eaten in the eight came down to the hooks. i think excellent hooks give you a lot of room on a bad angle.
mnmusky
Posted 4/5/2015 6:30 PM (#763502 - in reply to #763500)

nippers. hate that! tough to stick.
BigSlamer
Posted 4/5/2015 6:40 PM (#763503 - in reply to #763469)

I had to learn from experiences, so many times have i just wailed it when the fish hit, I learned to pull back and i've caught more fish.
Musky Brian
Posted 4/6/2015 8:17 AM (#763557 - in reply to #763503)

I'll go forward 90% of the time....key is to go forward and snap it down, not up. Then start dragging them around the boat and keep them moving .....if you watch Saric on MH you'll notice it's generally his preferred method
ToddM
Posted 4/6/2015 9:41 AM (#763572 - in reply to #763469)

Really good hooks help too.
jonnysled
Posted 4/6/2015 9:44 AM (#763574 - in reply to #763572)

increase your % by split ringing a swivel to the front hook on a bucktail to get it hanging and not tangling up in the skirt ... trick i learned at AML that was worth learning.
jimjimjim
Posted 4/6/2015 2:47 PM (#763625 - in reply to #763574)

when I have rookies in the boat ,,, I tell them to pull straight up on the fish ,,, they seem to remember that for some reason ?? ,,, I also set their reel drag a little less than tight so that a little line slips out on the figure-8 strike ,,,, if you give a rookie too much to remember on their first few strikes , they dont remember anyway cause they seem to freakout when they see the following fish ,,,, like when they stop the lure and scream out "there's one" !!!! ----- gottaluvit ----- LOL --------- jimjimjim
esoxaddict
Posted 4/6/2015 3:35 PM (#763632 - in reply to #763469)

Towards the tail when the fish is going away from you. If the fish eats when its coming towards you, you don't have much choice. Setting the hook up leaves you with your rod tip in the air and the fish's head out of the water. You've got nowhere to go and you've giving the fish a great opportunity to throw the lure.

Sometimes they hit right at your feet with the rod buried in the water. In that case, there's nowhere to go BUT up.

Sharp hooks, yes. Just keep pressure on the fish. Be ready to let it take some line if it wants to go, and always try to make sure YOU have somewhere to go.

The most important thing to me is to be ready to set the hook when it happens. Give yourself room to step back, shift your weight, turn your torso, and give 'em the berries. A good hookset should make the same *whoosh* sound as your cast. Sometimes your arms are extended, maybe you're a little off balance, or not expecting a fish... That's when things go South in a hurry.

Edited by esoxaddict 4/6/2015 4:37 PM
Dave T.
Posted 4/6/2015 5:38 PM (#763645 - in reply to #763469)

Thanks for the replies guys

i just missed a bunch of hits last year on the 8, so was getting frustrated..

seems that when i went with the direction i was going, not back into the fish, i was getting nothing or feeling the fish for a split second, then they were off...

sux when your not getting many hits, and you finally do and you miss it..

ill just keep the hooks razor sharp too and hopefully that will help..
happy hooker
Posted 4/6/2015 5:45 PM (#763646 - in reply to #763645)

You got the most important part down,,,your doing something that triggers them to bite.
Average Joe
Posted 4/8/2015 11:39 AM (#764020 - in reply to #763485)

bturg - 4/5/2015 4:06 PM

It depends where in the oval or eight that the fish hits. Both are effective in the right situation and both will likely fail when used at the wrong time.

Yeah, there's no real right or wrong answer. You have to read the fish!!
Booch
Posted 4/9/2015 11:38 AM (#764209 - in reply to #763469)

Whatever direction is going to get me the most leverage, or more than likely whatever direction my reflexes tell me.

I'd say worry less about this, and more about the sharpness of your hooks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)