Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Astron Bay LOTW

Message Subject: Astron Bay LOTW
geo
Posted 3/3/2015 7:23 PM (#757154)
Subject: Astron Bay LOTW

Has anyone fished this area? Any luck. Or any suggestions close to this area. Any info would be great. Thanks
IAJustin
Posted 3/3/2015 8:09 PM (#757160 - in reply to #757154)
Subject: Re: Astron Bay LOTW

yep mouth of bay can be decent but so are 1000 other area's of LOTW...water is often a little clearer and deeper in this area compared to Angle or Sab... if you are talking back in Astron itself, there are a lot of small pike....
dougj
Posted 3/5/2015 2:43 PM (#757583 - in reply to #757154)
Subject: RE: Astron Bay LOTW

Astron Bay used (note past tense) to be full of very nice cabbage beds that held lots of fish at times. It was a very good early season spot. There's a large reef complex on the west side that still holds some nice fish. It's not unfished and many times you'll run all the way over there and there's all ready two boats fishing a very small area. I have almost given up on it, and it used to be pretty good.

Doug Johnson
musky1969
Posted 3/6/2015 4:45 PM (#757876 - in reply to #757154)

Dido what Doug said used to be my favorite area for many years 5-7 years ago, but I do still love it as a casting area in end of October and November the water is sometimes 5 degrees warmer then the Angle in late fall.
Darren
Matt DeVos
Posted 3/6/2015 6:03 PM (#757889 - in reply to #757154)

Agree with the previous 3 posts. I'll just add that there are a number of other spots in the general vicinity where (formerly) nice cabbage beds have also disappeared. But that's not to say that there isn't still plenty of good water around.

I'll also echo what Doug said about other boats. Due to its location, you might think its well off the beaten path, but seems like there are always several other boats around...

As a caveat, although we used to fish the area frequently (in the late '90's to early-mid '00's), we haven't been that way in the past few years, so these would be my observations from about 4-5 years ago.
Musky Brian
Posted 3/7/2015 8:28 AM (#757964 - in reply to #757889)

I'm kinda glad that when I started fishing up in the general area being discussed here, the cabbage beds were gone so I got to start picking it apart as it is now, not how it was before...

I've been in Astron a couple times, first time I went in there I took a 40"ish off the reef Doug suggested. It'd have to be a pretty slow day and me wanting to kill time up in that area for me to venture in there again....
Dan Klis
Posted 3/8/2015 9:45 AM (#758155 - in reply to #757964)

LOTW was better when there was cabbage, and coontail. It's still good, but was much better when there were weeds.

I did not like fishing Astron Bay as there always seemed to be boats there. I bet I have not been there since the mid to late 90's. That being said there is a ton of good water not too far from there. I saw a supertanker, one of the top 5 fish I have seen, within eyesight of the bay not too long ago...
Musky Brian
Posted 3/8/2015 12:21 PM (#758177 - in reply to #758155)

Dan Klis - 3/8/2015 9:45 AM

LOTW was better when there was cabbage, and coontail. It's still good, but was much better when there were weeds.

I did not like fishing Astron Bay as there always seemed to be boats there. I bet I have not been there since the mid to late 90's. That being said there is a ton of good water not too far from there. I saw a supertanker, one of the top 5 fish I have seen, within eyesight of the bay not too long ago...

Shhhhhh
geo
Posted 3/9/2015 7:02 PM (#758490 - in reply to #757154)

Thanks for all info. I appreciate guys
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)