Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> another book question

Message Subject: another book question
wicked
Posted 3/3/2015 10:43 PM (#757185)
Subject: another book question

Hey guys. Looking to up the game a lil more. Started in '08 and am doing decent at the sport but always looking to learn and improve. Going to grab some new reading material. Would you guys recommend The complete guide to muskie fishing, muskies my way, or tom gelbs new book? Or other recommendations of informational muskie reads. Thanks Russ
JKahler
Posted 3/4/2015 2:36 AM (#757191 - in reply to #757185)
Subject: Re: another book question

Tom Gelb's book is great, Dick Pearson's Muskies On The Shield is also fantastic. The one by Jack Burns and Rob Kimm is also good. I like the Saric book as well.

You can learn a lot from reading, but I've learned the most from just fishing.

Edited by JKahler 3/4/2015 2:39 AM
muskyball
Posted 3/4/2015 5:41 AM (#757193 - in reply to #757185)

I agree with everything jkahler just posted.
If you've fished enough, I doubt any book will give you any sort of fishing breakthrough so much as they will provide relief of winter doldrums and some energy for the upcoming season...
ToddM
Posted 3/4/2015 6:54 AM (#757196 - in reply to #757185)

Those books will get you thinking and may give you ideas and perspectives to up your game. Same thing with seminars, just because they are not a big name(nothing wrong with the big names) does not mean you cannot learn from them. Never pass up an opportunity to learn.
Slamr
Posted 3/4/2015 7:11 AM (#757200 - in reply to #757185)

Try looking for old chats that we have saved in the News section. You might have to go back a few years, but there's some good info in those.
CiscoKid
Posted 3/4/2015 7:42 AM (#757204 - in reply to #757200)

Slamr - 3/4/2015 7:11 AM

Try looking for old chats that we have saved in the News section. You might have to go back a few years, but there's some good info in those.

Slamr why not bring back the chats here for the next 2-3 months? I agree some good info comes out in those, but there haven't been any in some time now.

I agree with what the others have said on books. A few others I would add for getting the juices flowing as ToddM mentions would be Moon Up-Moon Down, Spoonplugging, and Joe Bucher's Crankbait Secrets.
sworrall
Posted 3/4/2015 8:17 AM (#757209 - in reply to #757185)

I'd be up for new chats at one a week until end of May. Which night, and what time?
wicked
Posted 3/4/2015 11:11 AM (#757253 - in reply to #757185)

Sounds great guys. I know nothing beats actual time out fishing. I've got the itch bad right now so figured I'd do some reading. I'll be at wausau friday and at Mn show in a few weeks to catch seminars. I've been fortunate enough to fish with some great sticks and with a great guide several times wich has helped the curve a ton just rigged my old boat with a new motor and electronics that i have to learn to use lol I'm in for some chats and will keep checking to see when
Emptynet
Posted 3/4/2015 7:58 PM (#757396 - in reply to #757185)
Subject: RE: another book question

I've read thru chapter 3 in Muskies My Way and found it to be a good read so far. Jim Saric has way of viewing some things that I never thought of before. Time On The Water is a "must read". Not for any technical advice but just for simple musky fishing entertainment. I reread my copy every 3 years or so. Although they are old, Tony Rizzo's books are full of good info and show you how much some things haven't changed over the years. Stop by the 1st WI booth & say Hi on Friday.
Dave
CEK
Posted 3/4/2015 9:12 PM (#757413 - in reply to #757396)
Subject: RE: another book question

I have the "greats" on my Kindle. I have read most of them several times over while on a treadmill or elliptical. I have a first edition of Rizzos secrets, and I wish it was available on kindle, timeless knowledge, awesome read. That book occupies a most hallowed space right next to my man throne.
DRPEPIN
Posted 3/5/2015 10:41 AM (#757524 - in reply to #757209)

The chats would be great again. I vote for Thursdays at 7pm but I am in when ever.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)