Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Entry level Fly setup for skis

Message Subject: Entry level Fly setup for skis
lennyg3
Posted 2/28/2015 5:19 PM (#756614)
Subject: Entry level Fly setup for skis

Hey all,

Recently I have been kicking around the idea of doing some fly fishing for muskies. I probably put myself through enough with traditional casting setups, but what can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment haha.
Any fly fishers out there that could suggest an entry level setup for me? I'd like to be in the neighborhood of 300ish for a combo if possible. I was thinking a 10wt will be suitable for what I am looking to do and also double for salmon fishing in the fall, but what specifically should I be looking for in a rod? As far as reels go, I know I will need something with a good drag, and would like it to be saltwater capable, but not sure where to look. Thanks in advance,

Lenny
beaglerr
Posted 2/28/2015 9:03 PM (#756636 - in reply to #756614)
Subject: Re: Entry level Fly setup for skis

call Terry Kluke at Merkels Camp in Wabigoon Ontario, he fishes muskie with fly rods,he woud be glad to help you
mcfish
Posted 3/1/2015 11:21 AM (#756682 - in reply to #756614)

pm sent
Jeremy
Posted 3/1/2015 11:44 AM (#756687 - in reply to #756614)
Subject: RE: Entry level Fly setup for skis

Lenny,

A love of mine, this fly fishing for "teeth" of all sorts, pike, muskies... We all have prefs that suit us. Here's mine.

I use a 9' Sage 9wt SP or an older RPLx that I bought on "that auction site" for 1/2 the cost of new. You really don't need a rod THAT nice but I like nice rods. Get a faster action stick.

I don't fish really big flies so I don't need a 10 wt. YMMV of course. I use a good SA WF9F line most of the time, even for streamers but...your choice.

Reels? I use a #5 Ross CLA large arbor. She spins REALLY easily when I need to kick it for picking up access line when a fish takes. That's important to have!!

You really don't need a train-stopping drag. I barely use mine set more than a "medium" drag setting, preferring to spool the rim with my fingers. Works great for me. The best fish I've taken is 43" on a Dahlberg Diver. Tons of fun. You play them a bit but net them as soon as you're feeling she's ready.

And use a supple, knotable wire for the leader otherwise you'll find out you'll be tying lots more flies and losing fish, plain an' simple.

Here's a saved email I have shared over the years. You can sub. wherever you need but this is what works well for me.... Oh, and read Barry Reynolds' "Pike on the Fly" if you can. Hope this helps.......................

From the end of your fly line which has a loop tied in the end by way of 3/0 tying thread and the wraps coated with "something hard". I use Sally Hansens Hard As Nails....

Make a 6-7 ft leader out of any 20-30 lb mono. The cheap stuff. You can spend a lot of $$ if you wish ...Tie a Perfection loop in the end of this mono leader. Small loop. On the business end I use some supple, braided 26 lb (approx.) American brand Wire or Tyger brand wire.

Attach this to the leader via an Allbright knot and leave it about 14"-16" long. This length makes it easier to use more flies w/o having to re-tie another wire tippet on....nothing other than that. I'll change/re-tie another wire tippet when I get down to around 6-8" left!

The knot!

It's called a Jig Loop. Tie an overhand knot about 3" from the end of the wire tippet BUT don't pull it totally shut. Leave it "just loose enough" to insert the end of this wire back into. Now put the tag end into the hook eye.

Now push this tag end through that overhand knot...that you left loose "enough" but not too loose, right? Now, take and make a 1/2 hitch just behind that overhand knot and snug it up.

Make a second 1/2 hitch again behind this one but this time pull her tight with a pair of pliers!

Done! If it turned out right..and sometimes it doesn't, depending on how tight that overhand knot was...you'll end up with a neat little "jig loop" that your fly can swing freely on!!!

If it didn't turn out just perfect don't sweat it. Fish it anyhow. And I find it best to try to tie a few of these in the plain cheap mono before I go fishing...for a test!

Really, it's simple.

Yeah, wire kinks but only when I finish tussling with a fish. If it's too bad I'll just re-tie.

Jeremy.

Masqui-ninja
Posted 3/1/2015 4:43 PM (#756731 - in reply to #756687)
Subject: RE: Entry level Fly setup for skis

The Orvis Clearwater is a great value for chuckin' big stuff. I just picked up another 10wt.
lennyg3
Posted 3/2/2015 9:17 PM (#756970 - in reply to #756614)

Thanks for all the advice guys!
Flambeauski
Posted 3/3/2015 9:57 AM (#757034 - in reply to #756614)

I used a St. Croix Imperial 10 weight and it's nice rod for the coin. If you plan on salmon fishing or SW fishing you might want to drop a bit more on the reel. I've seen reels that weren't meant for SW used in SW and it aint pretty.
Check out Larry Mann's youtube videos on leader tying.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)