Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Spider Lake MN

Message Subject: Spider Lake MN
bigdogg2278
Posted 2/20/2015 8:13 AM (#755036)
Subject: Spider Lake MN

Anyone ever fish on Spider by Grand Rapids MN? I have camped in the area before but never tried for skies on Spider might try this summer just seeing if anyone has fished it before.
Musky Brian
Posted 2/21/2015 12:48 AM (#755229 - in reply to #755036)
Subject: RE: Spider Lake MN

bigdogg2278 - 2/20/2015 8:13 AM

Anyone ever fish on Spider by Grand Rapids MN? I have camped in the area before but never tried for skies on Spider might try this summer just seeing if anyone has fished it before.

I wouldn't make it a priority, it's nothing special
dtaijo174
Posted 2/23/2015 11:37 AM (#755691 - in reply to #755036)
Subject: Re: Spider Lake MN

Yes many times. I make yearly trips to Spider. It is a great place to bring novice anglers who are more interested in camping and nature, then musky. Also, the pike population is insane, and we regularly catch 40 small pike per day. This is the reason I bring novice anglers (kids) who have not yet adjusted to the idea that we may go 8hrs without seeing a fish.

Spider has a stocked population of Shoepack muskies that is maintained through natural spawning only. I have caught many fish from the lake. however, it has been very slow for the last 4 years. It was a nice action lake prior to that. So maybe this is the year it bounces back?
Because the lake has Shoepack strain fish, expect much smaller than average size. The largest fish I have caught is 45", however there are a few that approach 48". The majority of the fish I catch around 35". The lake sees a bit of pressure, and the lake tends to get crowded on the weekends by walleye fisherman.

If you are after a big fish, I would try some of the neighboring lakes. North Star & Deer (fish on overcast days) are your best bets, but don't forget Moose (fish on sunny days). If you want to chuck baits on a nice scenery lake, and don't care about size of the fish then spider is a good option.

Edited by dtaijo174 2/25/2015 10:18 AM
bigdogg2278
Posted 2/26/2015 5:56 PM (#756296 - in reply to #755036)

Awesome thanks
tolle141
Posted 2/26/2015 6:07 PM (#756298 - in reply to #755691)

dtaijo174 - 2/23/2015 11:37 AM

Yes many times. I make yearly trips to Spider. It is a great place to bring novice anglers who are more interested in camping and nature, then musky. Also, the pike population is insane, and we regularly catch 40 small pike per day. This is the reason I bring novice anglers (kids) who have not yet adjusted to the idea that we may go 8hrs without seeing a fish.

Spider has a stocked population of Shoepack muskies that is maintained through natural spawning only. I have caught many fish from the lake. however, it has been very slow for the last 4 years. It was a nice action lake prior to that. So maybe this is the year it bounces back?
Because the lake has Shoepack strain fish, expect much smaller than average size. The largest fish I have caught is 45", however there are a few that approach 48". The majority of the fish I catch around 35". The lake sees a bit of pressure, and the lake tends to get crowded on the weekends by walleye fisherman.

If you are after a big fish, I would try some of the neighboring lakes. North Star & Deer (fish on overcast days) are your best bets, but don't forget Moose (fish on sunny days). If you want to chuck baits on a nice scenery lake, and don't care about size of the fish then spider is a good option.

Two thoughts:

1. declining muskie population - think that has anything to do with the high population of small pike?

2. Deer - that's big fish water, but brutally clear.
dtaijo174
Posted 2/27/2015 12:49 PM (#756417 - in reply to #756298)

tolle141 - 2/26/2015 6:07 PM

Two thoughts:

1. declining muskie population - think that has anything to do with the high population of small pike?

2. Deer - that's big fish water, but brutally clear.

#1 It very well could be a result of the pike population, but I'm no biologist. Or it could be that I only spend 6 days/year on the water and my timing has been horrible. Who knows?

#2 completely agree.
whynot
Posted 3/1/2015 5:24 PM (#756741 - in reply to #755036)

Spider has never had a significant population of muskies. I've been fishing it since 94. It's a scenic lake with camping that has a few muskies in it. If you're looking to catch big fish, or any on a regular basis, this is not the lake.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)