Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: How the f@<k do you catch a snake
- (Added by: Big Perc)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Painting Lures

Message Subject: Painting Lures
jts15
Posted 3/5/2015 4:39 PM (#757607)
Subject: Painting Lures

Do any of you guys paint crank baits? I have been thinking about starting to do it myself but I have no idea what I would all need. I would like to buy blanks and then paint them myself. If anyone does paint their own baits, what do you need to start? And how do you do it? Thanks!
CedarLakeMusky
Posted 3/5/2015 4:41 PM (#757608 - in reply to #757607)
Subject: Re: Painting Lures

Airbrush, compressor, paint. You can pick up a basic airbrush fairly cheap. If you already have a compressor around the garage you can use that. You would just need a water trap to catch the moisture. If you're not into an airbrush some use rattle cans or hand paint. I started hand painting at first but quickly moved to an airbrush. You can make templates for gills, fins, and other features.

CLM

Edited by CedarLakeMusky 3/5/2015 4:49 PM
spoonpluggergino
Posted 3/5/2015 6:49 PM (#757630 - in reply to #757607)

Check out hobby Lobby they have all kinds of stuff for painting including compressor and air brushes, use their 40% coupon found on line, great savings
Gino
jts15
Posted 3/5/2015 9:35 PM (#757669 - in reply to #757607)

Do you need to put something over the paint? A clear coat or anything?
spoonpluggergino
Posted 3/6/2015 9:56 AM (#757771 - in reply to #757669)

Enviro Tex Lite find it at Hobby Lobby or Menards for tougher harder clear coat I use Devcon 2ton 30 minutes epoxy, Find it at Hobbylinc, need to thin Devcon use 4-to 6 drops of denatured alcohol. Also I learned a ton of lure building on tackle underground website. Once you build and paint you will be hooked. Have Fun. Hope this helps
Gino
PS you also need to seal your bait I use Deft lacquer sanding sealer get it at Amazon
For balsa baits I use Propionate see Tacklemaking web, they have all the info on propionate

Edited by spoonpluggergino 3/6/2015 10:00 AM
fishingmom
Posted 3/7/2015 8:36 PM (#758083 - in reply to #757607)
Subject: RE: Painting Lures

Go to Marlingbaits.com there are lots of videos that go into detail on how to make and paint lures.

He also sells lures (click on the "Products" tab)

Edited by fishingmom 3/7/2015 8:38 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)