Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Medium to small size river fishing

Message Subject: Medium to small size river fishing
WiscoMusky
Posted 2/19/2015 12:11 AM (#754754)
Subject: Medium to small size river fishing

I have a few rivers near me that I have not fished during mid summer. I have been successful fishing them in the end of may/early june, but I have always wondered if they would also be productive during the hotter weeks of summer.

For those of you that fish these "smaller" rivers (20-50yds wide, 3-10ft deep, yet very long) in mid summer, how do you go about approaching them?

Edited by WiscoMusky 2/19/2015 12:13 AM
Lumpy
Posted 2/19/2015 7:32 AM (#754767 - in reply to #754754)
Subject: Re: Medium to small size river fishing

I fish a few rivers that match that description. Generally, I move pretty quick through the shallow flats, throwing a topwater or burning a small bucktail. If they are on the flats, they are usually feeding, so you usually know pretty quick. The majority of my fish come from the deeper holes, so I fish those real slow, picking apart every bit of it with a mix of baits. Some holes I will drift through multiple times in order to hammer it from all angles with multiple baits. It's sometimes that 3rd or 4th time down when they finally show themselves.
jaultman
Posted 2/19/2015 10:31 AM (#754810 - in reply to #754767)
Subject: Re: Medium to small size river fishing

Lumpy wrote almost exactly what I would write. One last thing though - I'll really slow down to hit shallow slack water too - not just deep. Others disagree, but fast current, shallow water seems fruitless to me.

And August is my favorite.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)